• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Color?

Habba

Hello everyone,

I am new here, have been reading for a while but want to ask for a bit of advice now :)

We are in the process of becoming Cavalier owners, I have found good breeders that I know I can trust.

I know I want a boy, as there are three boy Cavaliers living in our street it will be a lot easier.

What I am thinking about now is the color. How did you decide and do you have a favorite? Do you find the different colors have different temperements?

best regards :)
Habba

When we first discovered Cavaliers, I wanted a tricolor boy. But when we found a breeder, I fell head over heels for a blenheim boy on her website. When we drove the 6 hours from Shreveport to Houston to get him, she told us he had a tri brother! But we couldn't imagine (or afford) raising 2 at once. 2 years later we adopted a rescue blenheim boy, who died last summer.

Eight years after seeing my first cavalier, we finally brought home our tri boy on May 7th. :-D

For some reason my eyes go straight to the blenheim coloring. I also had a Pekingese who was mostly white with tan markings. My husband is the same way as I am on this. We are just drawn to that color. Also (for us) I like to be able to see the dogs eyes clearly so with dark fur against the eyes, the eyes blend in a bit (owners please don't hate me). Its just a personal preference.
Of course I do not have my puppy yet so I cannot tell you about temperament.

Becky

Hi

Started with a Tri ,then came a Blenheim and after her came a Ruby so then we had to complete so along came Lily our Black and Tan and all girls .:)

okay, call me dumb but when I first learned about cavaliers all I knew was the blenheim colour. Then I went to visit a breeder for the first time and he had a tri and a black and tan. When he brought out the black and tan my heart melted. I have loved three black and tans since. I am working on changing my mind for the future with a ruby as my next cavalier.

Mindy was my first Cavalier. She was a tri-colour so of course tri is my favourite:p

Honestly when I got Max and Rylie colour or sex weren't even something that was a decision factor for me. I first of all wanted an excellent breeder, and particularly in Rylie's case because I was already addicted to agility I had a certain personality in mind. I actually passed up the pup (also a B&T) that initially tugged at my heart strings because the breeder told me Rylie was the most active of the litter and had reached each stage first. I knew that it wouldn't matter - I would love whichever pup I brought home. If I ever get another health testing and personality will remain my #1 priorities. I would suggest telling the breeder what you are looking for in a dog and what your lifestyle is like and let her make a suggestion as to which pup is best suited for your situation because she will know each one's personality.

Having said that - if Rylie's breeder ever had a tri-colour girl and she had any pep at all I'd probably be begging her to let me take her:p

I like all the colours. My first was a Blenheim and I honestly didn't know anything about the breed so thought that was the only colour!

I had a b & T and a Ruby years ago, they were sisters. i had a friend looking to rehome her girls and i wanted one so bad i didnt care about color! I was always a fan of blenheim course im also a brittney lover but i also love tri's I am a big fan of striking white markings on any dog. now i have a beautiful blenheim boy and cant stop admiring him. besides truth be told, cavaliers are truly like potato chips so if you want another color down the road. why not have another? :) I plan on getting a tri show female later on down the road to quench my love of the cavalier colors so to speak that and i love those lil tan eyebrows:D

I have always LOVED Tri Colors! Then the 1st puppy I found when I was ready was a Tri.. so I HAD To have him!

But knowing what I know now... and all the medical bills in just the first few months... I have to say the #1 thing I would look for is a breeder that MRI scans & heart tests there dogs... If I ever find that then color doesn't matter so much... it would be the 1st puppy that melted my heart!

In My Opinion... if you find a REALLY good breeder that does MRI scans, heart tests, eyes, hip & Patella testing.. etc.. many people are not left with a lot of colors to pick from as there are often waiting lists!

Each "color" wouldn't have a different temperament.. it really depends on the individual dog.... Boys are usually cheaper to neuter if you decided to do so.. I doubt its all boys but my two boys are HYPER, even with there neuro issues... where as my girl is very laid back. My boys are IN YOUR FACE.... LOVE ON ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! THROW THE TOY! Kind of dogs... and my girl is just happy to curl up in your lap and cuddle. She has her moments but over all she is the perfect little lap dog.

Color was not an issue for us...

We struggled more with trying to find a good breeder with as much health records as possible. That led us to Gracie... who PICKED us! She was one of two dogs offered by a recommended breeder.... and she SOLD herself. She is a Blenheim but I think they are all just beautiful. The breeding has much more to do with temperament than color...based on what little I know. I am sure Karlin can be more helpful than me on that, but I have seen varying temperaments in all colors.

We originally were going to get a little Ruby colored pup - but when we saw Luka (our tri-color) we knew he was the one for us.

Then we wanted to get Luka a little brother to play with, we found Atlas (blenheim) and couldn't say no.

The color choice was easy for me. I have always loved the black and tan coloring. The contrast and little eyebrows are just so beautiful. Also I had recently lost my Rottweiler at 3 years of age and thought a b&t cav would be a nice tribute.

My second favorite color is a tri, again it is those eyebrows!

Thank you all so much for your answers :)

When we finally reached a decision a few weeks back,to go ahead with becoming Cavalier owners, there was no news of puppies on the Icelandic Dog Breeders Association Cavalier devision website. So I e-mailed a breeder that was recommended to me and she will have puppies born in the middle of June, the odds a very good that we can have one of those. Now I see on the club´s site that there are five new litters (is that the right word?) from breeders I know I can trust.

The puppies from the litter that will come now in June will be either blenheim or tri color I gather from the colors of the parents. I see on the site that there are three male black and tans available now. I have been in touch with the breeders and there is a chance of getting one of them.

So my problem is that I have had a preference to black and tan but I really like the breeder that I talked to first. I know I can trust all of them, Iceland is such a small place and those that belong to the HRFÍ (Icelandic Dog Breeders Association) can be trusted.

So sorry for this long post :) I guess I have to think about this a bit more.

best regards,
Habba

Hello everyone,

I am new here, have been reading for a while but want to ask for a bit of advice now :)

We are in the process of becoming Cavalier owners, I have found good breeders that I know I can trust.

I know I want a boy, as there are three boy Cavaliers living in our street it will be a lot easier.

What I am thinking about now is the color. How did you decide and do you have a favorite? Do you find the different colors have different temperements?

best regards :)
Habba

I think the Tri Colors look very regal. To be honest though I didn't care about the color. I just knew Luka was the one, I went with the personality.

I knew I wanted a tri. Your first cav you are most choosy about color. After that the personality gets you hooked, and you lose that preference.

I don't think coloring has anything to do with temperment. And as others have pointed out, breeder health testing is more important

But, that said, the first Cavalier I really got to know was a little male Blenheim. So, I always thought that is what I would end up with. I do love the Tri's and have a friend who has two in the family. And well, Claire is a Ruby, and she has stolen my heart. It might not have been what I would have originally looked for, but for me, it was love at first sight. And now I am totally in love with redheads!

And well, Claire is a Ruby, and she has stolen my heart. It might not have been what I would have originally looked for, but for me, it was love at first sight. And now I am totally in love with redheads!

Well thank you MommytoClaire! Gracie and I are BOTH redheads! We truly do love all the colors. I do not have a favorite at all. It is the dogs' personality that sells me...

When I fell in love with cavaliers I also got a blenheim. Other colors seem to be much rarer. I had hoped to show him but he just grew and grew. I am now waiting for a new puppy who will also be a blenheim. Our older boy is now neutered so this time we will have a little girl.
Sherrie

When I searching for a Cavalier the color didn't even cross my mind. I just wanted a happy & healthy cavalier!

My husband and I actually weren't big fans of the Blenheim but when we saw Chamberlain we fell in love! Now if we get another it will be another Blenheim! :grin:

Back