• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many Cavaliers on our forum have CM/SM?

Reptigirl

I've wondered this for a while.. I KNOW we suspect 50% - 70% of Cavaliers have or will develop SM.. likely even more...

But I'm really wondering how many board members we have who have or have had an affected Cavalier? (The numbers are probably almost upsetting to know)

Not sure if one of these threads has been done before... but I'm curious.... have been for a while...

If you could just keep the # going... maybe mention if they were symptomatic or not and how old they were when the symptoms started?

I think CM only should count too. As Flash has CM & his symptoms are worse then my SM dogs...

Past & Present dogs should all count...

So my #'s would be

1 = CM Diagnosed at 6 months & VERY symptomatic from the time I got him.
2 with CM/SM Diagnosed at 4 years but probably symptomatic long before that

so that would be 3

Now add 3 + your dog =

Keep it going

Ruby was diagnosed at 2 years, 1 month. She has mild SM.
She had a painful area on her face, that was her only symptom.

A survey like this would be interesting - but results will need to be regarded with caution, because a lot of forum members join precisely because they have a Cavalier with CM/SM and hear that Cavalier Talk is a good source of information and support. So we will inevitably have a higher ratio of affected dogs than, for example, a forum that is not so health-oriented. So our numbers won't necessarily bear any correlation with numbers in the general Cavalier population, though I think they will be depressing!

I have 1 dog with mild SM - more symptoms from CM than from his syrinx. Diagnosed through MRI aged 6 (but not because he had any obvious symptoms), began to have symptoms from his CM more than from his SM at age 7.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

i have two - one with very mildly symptomatic CM and one with severe SM, so that makes 7 so far counting Ruby and Kate's dog.

I've wondered this for a while.. I KNOW we suspect 50% - 70% of Cavaliers have or will develop SM.. likely even more...

But I'm really wondering how many board members we have who have or have had an affected Cavalier? (The numbers are probably almost upsetting to know)

Not sure if one of these threads has been done before... but I'm curious.... have been for a while...

If you could just keep the # going... maybe mention if they were symptomatic or not and how old they were when the symptoms started?

I think CM only should count too. As Flash has CM & his symptoms are worse then my SM dogs...

Past & Present dogs should all count...

Luka's 2.5 yrs old, SM. I classify it as severe.

14 so far

I have Ruby who was diagnosed at 2.5 years with Moderate SM with very obvious symptoms

I have Charlie with CM diagnosed at 1 years with pretty moderate symptoms also

So thats 14 so far...........

I have Jack- showed symptoms at 6 months, MRI'd at a little over 1 year old with mild to moderate CM and ? pre-syrinx. Has mild to moderate symptoms. He is currently 2 years,8 months old.
Think that makes 15 so far.

Bosco was diagnosed with SM at just over a year, he showed signs of tail chasing as a very young puppy which may or may not have been SM but he still does this a bit, and then air scratching from around 9 months or so. His main visible symptom is air scratching when walking but he often looks like he is experiencing pain.
Does that make it 16?

My Spangle had symptoms in her first 3 months and was MRI`d at 12 months old, she has CM/SM with moderate symptoms. Is that 17 now?

Rossi has SM

My gorgeous blenheim boy Rossi has recently been diagnosed with SM. He has mild to moderate symptoms eg face rubbing and some scratching but has had a few severe pain episodes. He is 6 years old with a small syrinx.
icon9.png

I can add three: Leo, Lily and Tansy.

Three of my rescues rehomed through Cavalier Rescue also have it to some degree, thankfully quite mild in two cases.

Tommy was scanned in 2005 when his symptoms were minimal. He is now 10.5 years & needs Lyrica to control his SM symptoms.

Cavaliers our family partnership owned but are now dead are Monty ( confirmed by post-mortem ) Matthew ( confirmed by MRI )

Grumpy Old William, Dillon, Murphy and Ryan were diagnosed by clinical symptoms.

Bruce had SM symptoms but nobody knew about the condition when he was alive and Lindy, who lived until 16 years, scratched when touched in her last few years.

Minnie May was diagnosed by MRI in April 2010. She had been having bouts of unexplained lameness together with inability to climb stairs or jump on furniture for about 2 years. She also had several other symptoms although none were excessive - scooting (anal glands checked and OK), shaking her body, rubbing head on floor, rubbing her body against furniture and legs, head shyness. She rarely scratched and has never air scratched. She is being kept pretty comfortable at the moment on Lyrica, Zitac and Trocoxil.

Back