Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home puppy set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default home puppy set up

I thought I would share our puppy set up for when Toby comes home. There is the kitchen set up that gives him access to the dog door and give us access to our kitchen to cook.
    Also a few months ago we bought an automatic kong dispenser for when we got a new dog, we could leave the house and it will dispense kongs every hr so he is not bored. Of course that will wait until we can trust him to be outside his kennel when we are not home. It was not cheap because the item was discontinued a long time agao. I found it on Amazon but I see that it is now sold out. Thank goodness we got it when we did.
    There is also a picture of his bedroom set up. We don't want him on the bed so he gets his own bed.
    His bowls will be in the kitchen area near the dog door until we go somewhere then his water bowl will be in his kennel. There will be a cushion inside the kennel once we get him.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...aOGTZozZs2LEng
    What do you think? Anything missing?
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to explain there will be wall brackets and zip ties holding the play pens in place. So it will not fall down if he pushes it.

Becky

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    I thought I would share our puppy set up for when Toby comes home. There is the kitchen set up that gives him access to the dog door and give us access to our kitchen to cook.
    Also a few months ago we bought an automatic kong dispenser for when we got a new dog, we could leave the house and it will dispense kongs every hr so he is not bored. Of course that will wait until we can trust him to be outside his kennel when we are not home. It was not cheap because the item was discontinued a long time agao. I found it on Amazon but I see that it is now sold out. Thank goodness we got it when we did.
    There is also a picture of his bedroom set up. We don't want him on the bed so he gets his own bed.
    His bowls will be in the kitchen area near the dog door until we go somewhere then his water bowl will be in his kennel. There will be a cushion inside the kennel once we get him.

What do you think? Anything missing?
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

If you cannot view it, try this link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be careful about giving him unsupervised access to the yard when he first comes home. I was shocked by how many places Oliver found to escape, and that was while we were watching him!
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. We have an 8ft wood fence and we reenforced that with chicken wire at the bottom that goes into the ground then covered again with dirt. This way if he digs he will only get the chicken wire. The only concern at this point is the gate. we will have to see what he does with that. If he tries to get under it we will have to put chicken wire on the bottom of the gate and hope we can still open it.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by StillPooh View Post
    Be careful about giving him unsupervised access to the yard when he first comes home. I was shocked by how many places Oliver found to escape, and that was while we were watching him!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oliver has been doing a bang-up job of locating all the bunny bolt holes in our yard. I think we have now blocked off all of them, but I don't trust him not to discover some we missed. I make him wear a collar with ID now, just in case! We do plan to microchip him also. But if he got out, we are right next to a busy high speed road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This looks good Becky I am starting to think about how to organize the home when we get our little one, it is good to see what others are doing.

Habba

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I'm sure the holes are just too much to resist Dang bunnies So far we do not have any critters making holes. We have tons of birds though. I only feed the hummingbirds. I just hope he does not catch my hummers.
    Our breeder microchips before we get him and we just transfer into our name. But collars are always good.
    Just not sure if we are missing anything to do before he gets here. I mean we haven't had a puppy for so many years. I feel like I am forgetting something.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Habba. Its not the perfect set up but the best we can do so dog and humans can utilize the same space. I hope you can configure your home so everyone is happy.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    This looks good Becky I am starting to think about how to organize the home when we get our little one, it is good to see what others are doing.

Habba

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    We have an 8ft wood fence and we reenforced that with chicken wire at the bottom that goes into the ground then covered again with dirt. This way if he digs he will only get the chicken wire. The only concern at this point is the gate. we will have to see what he does with that. If he tries to get under it we will have to put chicken wire on the bottom of the gate and hope we can still open it.
    Be sure to lock your gate(s), so no one can open them and let your baby out, or (God forbid) take him.