• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

home puppy set up

I was wondering about electrical outlets. should I use baby covers? My peke never bothered them but unsure of this breed.
Never had an issue with outlets, but I have had pups who chewed electrical cords. And my American Eskimo didn't even blink at the taste of bitter apple!

Never had an issue with wires or elevtrical outlets either. Mine chewed up the coffeetable And the legs of my bed as a puppy :)

One word - coyotes.

My four small dogs are not allowed outside unless a human is with them. Period. Of course it's more dangerous in the dark, but I won't let them out alone in the daytime either. I have a six foot wooden fence. Coyotes climb fences, and they are very smart and will observe a situation to figure out what is easy prey. You can put coyote roller bars on top of a fence but it's expensive and easier for me just to make sure the dogs are supervised outside. Just too much potential for danger. Before going out at night I turn on the floodlights and make a lot of noise. I've even put a "subfence" in my fenced back yard so the dogs can't go more than about 30 feet away from me at night. I also have a cat who is inside only so I couldn't use a dog door anyway. The coyotes are very bold - I see them often - and I'm in the suburbs of Atlanta for goodness sake. Small pets in the area frequently go missing.

I've also seen hawks swoop down to take a good look at my 7 and 8 lb shih tzu girls, so a small Cavalier puppy might be prey for them.

JMHO,

Pat

Thank you everyone. I know it will take awhile before I can trust him alone but it sounds like once he grows a little I can let him roam. If the gate becomes an issue we can make an area that he can go to and not be near the gate.
As far as coyotes, I have not seen a single one in my area but that doesn't mean they are not there. We've lived here over a year and our peke was just fine. He had free rein over the house and yard. We have a bigger dog next door who sadly is an outdoor dog and he's never had an issue either. So hopefully we have so many thorny bushes behind our house that they will not be a bother.
Thank you for the advice on the outlets. I wasn't sure but I'm happy no one has had issues with them.
Goda I wish they still made these dispensers. It seems so cool! You don't want to know how much I paid for it LOL but we will have peace of mind if we are gone for a full afternoon. I know that Kong wants to build a new model but has not found what they are looking for yet. Maybe in the near future.
Becky

The other potential issues outside to be alert to are...

Things like bird poop, dead/live insects, lizards and snails that puppies may decide to eat... and it can make them pretty sick. Gracie was in love with bird poop when she was younger and we had to keep her away from it. I do think as they get older you can trust them more, but I would not trust PEOPLE. Gracie is just toooooo cute... who would not want her???

Hmmmmmmm good point. We have worms and some snails that make their way on the porch. I need to have my husband put out more snail stuff to get rid of them before Toby gets here. Ewwwwww I hate those things!
Becky

Back