• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Suburban/Urban Coyotes

Pat

Someone asked me in a PM about coyotes - but I thought I'd answer here.

Coyotes are EVERYWHERE in the US. See the attached articles - in 2009 it was estimated that there were around 2,000 in Chicago. They also exist in NYC and virtually every major city and suburban area in the US. Most people are completely unaware that they live among us as they excel at being undetected.

http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/About_Coyotes.htm

http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/Coyote_Attacks.htm - Shih Tzu appear to be a favorite, and I have two!!

http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/Avoiding_Conflicts_With_Coyotes.htm - this is a good list.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105385196

ohioline.osu.edu/b929/pdf/b929.pdf

http://www.startribune.com/local/118886834.html

And yes, coyotes ARE in suburban Maryland:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/animalbits/abcoyote.html

"They now inhabit most of North America. Locally, they are found in all of the Mid-Atlantic States and ALL Maryland counties. Coyotes live in a wide variety of habitats including grasslands, mountains, woodlands and farms. They are very adaptable and readily use areas developed by humans such orchards, fields, gardens and even backyards."

Good information copied and pasted:

Be prepared!

If you are concerned about encountering an aggressive coyote, you may want to keep a deterrent handy. Deterrents can include rocks, pots and pans, tennis balls, tin cans filled with nails or coins to make loud noise and a super-soaker filled with vinegar.

If a coyote approaches you:

* Appear to be as Big, Mean and Loud as possible
* Make yourself appear larger (stand up if sitting)
* Wave your arms, throw objects (not food) at the coyote and use your deterrent
* Shout in a deep, loud and aggressive voice
* If the coyote continues to approach, DO NOT RUN or turn your back on the coyote. Continue to exaggerate the above gestures while maintaining eye contact and moving toward an area of human activity

When are coyotes a risk to people?

Although naturally curious, coyotes are usually timid animals and normally run away if challenged. Coyotes can be a risk to people if they have become comfortable around humans, usually as the result of feeding.

It is not normal for coyotes to attack or pursue humans, especially adults; it is a learned response to human behavior. You can discourage coyotes from feeling comfortable around you by responding to their presence and eliminating coyote attractants (food sources) from your yard and neighborhood.

Remove coyote attractants in your area

Coyotes should not feel comfortable around people or their homes. If a coyote is comfortable in your neighbor’s yard, it is also comfortable in your yard, around your children and your pets. If you see a coyote in your neighborhood, you should do your best to make it feel unwelcome. You can discourage coyotes from hanging around your home by scaring coyotes off your property and by removing coyote attractants, such as

* Accessible garbage or compost, including fruit that has fallen from trees or shrubs
* Outdoor pet food and water (stored or fed)
* Rodent habitat: neglected yards, garages or sheds
* Make sure your neighbors and others in your neighborhood do the same

Keeping our pets safe

Recognizing the risk is the first step toward preventing conflict between coyotes and your pet. Coyotes will prey on outdoor cats and small dogs. Pets have been reportedly taken from backyards, open spaces and even right off the leash. There are, however, some things you can do to reduce the risk to your pets:

If you own a cat: The only way to guarantee your cat’s safety is to keep it indoors. Removing coyote attractants from your yard and neighborhood will reduce the probability of a coyote visiting your home. Outdoor cats face potential death from cars, diseases, parasites, raccoons and dogs, in addition to coyotes.

If you own a small dog: If you are aware of coyotes in your neighborhood, you can greatly reduce the risk of conflict if you:

* Keep your dog on a short leash while outside and avoid extension leashes
* Supervise your dog when it is off-leash in the yard
* Walk your dog at times and places that coincide with high pedestrian traffic
* Keep your dog in front of you; if your dog stops, keep an eye on it
* Dog walk with other people

If you own a large dog: Coyotes pose less risk to medium-to large-sized dogs. Keep large dogs on leash, except in designated areas, and discourage your dog from feeling comfortable with coyotes by preventing it from “playing” or interacting with a coyote.

---------------------
Look on youtube for "coyote" and you can see many videos of coyotes in urban and suburban backyards. Or google "suburban or urban coyotes" or coyotes in your area.

A recent famous example of a coyote taking a small dog is when Jessica Simpson's maltipoo was taken despite a human being with her outside.

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/09/15/jessica-simpsons-dog-daisy-taken-by-coyote/

--------------
I am not personally concerned about coyotes attacking ME, and I'm not afraid of them. I don't believe they are a threat to humans. I had a very close encounter with a quite large coyote on the street right in front of my house (well lighted with streetlights) about a year ago - and it ran away as fast as it could. I would be against any eradication program in my area. I think that coyotes serve an important purpose in reducing rodent populations, geese, etc. On the other hand, I am VERY aware of keeping my small pets protected and I will not let them outside alone or even outside at night very far away from me. This is why I have a small area fenced in near my porch and deck despite having a six foot wooden fence around my entire large backyard. This smaller area is very well lighted with floodlights. My cat is never allowed outside.

My last sighting of a coyote was a couple of weeks ago when I was driving late at night - one crossed the road ahead of me. Earlier that month I saw a young deer cross the road at that same place - we also have many deer, foxes and raccoons in Atlanta. At one point I was feeding a raccoon in my yard but then I realized that was rather foolish and I stopped doing that. He would sit up in a tree near the deck and would also sit on the roof of the three season porch.

I have never heard coyotes howl or yip so not hearing them doesn't mean that they are not around. Occasionally we will see a dead coyote on the roads around my neighborhood. And sometimes we see signs up in neighborhoods warning that coyotes have been sighted and that cats are missing. A few neighbors have had daylight sightings. Most of my neighbors have never seen a coyote - I think they probably just aren't as observant.

Pat

You can also call or get online to your local fish and wildlife and ask how many reports they have in your area. They give great info. Or go online and check google for reports in your area. good info.
Becky

Pat,

That is crazy! I would have never thought of that. I heard about hawks but not coyotes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

We live in a rural area, about 4 miles from our town. We're surrounded by State Land (our subdivision), and we frequently hear them at night time. You can hunt them year round here, and I think for a while our population moved or went down as we didn't hear them as often. But recently we've been hearing them more often.

I would never have an outdoor cat (for many reasons) especially with the coyote population. I've heard they become quite adapt at living among humans. We've only seen one, and he was a decent size. Our older dog is too large for them to bother with, and Claire is never off leash (short leash), but is also indoor potty trained (for late night and early morning). She would be too good of a target at just over 11 lbs.

One of our neighbors cats went missing about a year ago. I had warned her that her cat would end up at my house (opposite end of sub) many a day, and we ALWAYS heard the coyotes down here.

We just have to learn to live with them and not encourage them to 'visit' us.

(y) We haven't seen them, but we hear them running through the woods, and "Yip yip" yipping as they run/pace around the corners of our backyard fence (the floodlights end about 15-20 feet from the back fence, the back fence is about 75 ft from the deck) and when they are chasing/killing something.

Question: Are they just as timid in packs, or when they have babies to feed, as when they are alone? As unintimidated as these were that were stalking Rose and I in the backyard, I worry for the nursing home people, since they are closer to where the den is located. I don't necessarily want them dead (though even the animal loving person that I am, it has definitely crossed my mind many times, admittedly- and to clarify, I mean the coyotes, lol!), I just want them relocated to the numerous acres that go on for miles behind our neighborhood (and no, this is not a new neighborhood, it's at least 25 years old, nor have there been any new neighborhoods added near me or the wilderness area for any miles- part of the land behind us is or was being considered for a "Forever Wild" purchase). I'm used to living in the woods (actually prefer it to a neighborhood), I'm used to wildlife, I'm use to knowing that there are coyotes all around and that it's their home, too... I'm used to these passing through our neighborhood a couple of times a year (spring and fall), and even the cats know when they are coming, and stay inside after dusk- these just seem- bold. Scary bold. I wonder if someone on the other side of the ravine have been feeding them, or dumping their trash down the hill again (it took 10 years for the refrigerator to finally be covered with leaves, stupid littering idiots)? That might explain it...:mad: Sorry, apparently I'm just thinking and typing :p. That would be about right- that idiot, trashy people are the REAL problem...:sl*p::mad: I guess I should google who to contact about them, there are definitely no natural enemies for them in our neighborhood!

I guess I should add that there are small children in this neighborhood too, mine being one of them...If these coyotes don't have a problem thinking I'M a meal prospect...*shudders*.

Last edited:
Very timely post!

Our neighbors have seen them in our suburban community... one approached their medium-sized dog who is inside an electric fence, so pretty well trapped. They are keeping him inside much more often and always at night. I bought a spray deterrent to take with me the few times I have to walk Gracie at night.

We certainly have our share around here. I have cornfields and pastures surrounding me and I often see them trekking through or hear them. I have seen one stand at the edge of a cornfield across the road and call to my collie...scary...

Wow thats scary:(

We have a huge problem with Foxes here. There have been recent stories of foxes attacking people. Most reported on was when a fox crept in to someones house and attacked their 6 month old baby that was asleep in her cot:x

Back