• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

8 month shedding like crazy

deana

hello all,

i'm new to the forum and would love some information about shedding. my puppy is 8 months old and is HEAVILY shedding. is this his puppy coat going away or could it be an indication of something health related? i'm vacuuming every other day and my dyson is full each time with hair... i don't want him to go bald!!!

any information would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,
deana

Not an expert on this....

But Gracie just turned one... and the heat is making her shed more for sure. Since we have been having summer temperatures, her shedding had definitely been heavier. I am using the hair rake on her every day and that is helping a great deal.

Perhaps this is just your puppy losing (blowing) his puppy coat. Some will lose a lot of coat when the adult coat starts to come in (though I never had this happen with any of my dogs...). But definitely if you see anything this worrying, go in and see your vet. Heavy loss of coat could be due to illness, mange, a lot of things that cannot be diagnosed without someone looking at your cavalier. It is a good rule of thumb to always get in to your vet anytime you see unusual behaviour or aspect of appearance. This can nip a potentially serious (or left unchecked, costly) problem early on. (y)

My dog shed a lot a couple of months ago when he was 7 months old. I thought it was just due to it being spring but maybe it was also part shedding his puppy coat. It has totally settled down now though.

Let us know what they say -- I'd guess it will be just losing his puppy coat but best to have this confirmed. :)

I hate to add this but having to fill a Dyson every two days is not going to be a surprise with a cavalier -- some lose a lot of hair as the norm! My Dysons are my best friends :lol: -- I have one upstairs, one downstairs and a handheld. They make a great vacuum attachment you can actually groom a dog with that sucks in all the hair, too -- my partner loves it for his GSD.

This time of year though they do tend to be losing their winter coat so you get more shedding at certain times of the year. A puppy probably wouldn't be shedding a winter coat so much as a puppy coat though.

My Dysons are my best friends :lol: -- I have one upstairs, one downstairs and a handheld.

I second Karlin, I dread to think what my house would be like without my Dysons. Although I don't have one upstairs (may need to talk to hubby on that one icon_whistling) I have a handheld one that I always seem to be running around with:v*cuum:

I may sound house proud, but believe me I'm not, it's just I would be lost under a mound of cat and dog hair never to be seen again :lol:

Hi

Same as Karlin, Dysons are superb one upstairs ans one down and the best one is the small animal one ,but the girls all disappear when they come out .:)

the vet thinks it's just normal puppy coat loss!!! is dyson a public company?

thanks for all the responses!

Back