• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back to the Cardiologist

Excellent post Nicki and very helpful.

It is so important for people to get dogs to a vet if they are struggling in any way, finding it hard to breathe, etc.

If someone is wondering 'should I contact/get to the vet' --please put it in the context of what any of us would do if you saw your child, partner or parent in such a condition, or if it was yourself -- a dog is in just as much and often more distress as a person would be, as they cannot ask to be taken in for help before it gets really terrible for them. Imagine hardly being able to breather or move for dscomfort -- any of us would get ourselves to the doctor.

Generally a vet can greatly relieve such distress. And any such time one is seeing a dog in any kind of struggle or distress is probably the point, as Nicki advises, to have that serious talk about whether it is kinder to let them go -- as she says it is far kinder to let them go a little earlier than having a painful and distressing collapse. For anyone where cost is an issue in continuing care for a dog really at its final stages, then I would definitely advise that conversation be had as it just is not fair to the dog to be kept hanging on in an uncertain state where it might not be possible to give the continued relief it needs through meds/ongoing vet care, and where its passing as a consequencne might be in real distress.

And also there is always the quality of life issue. If a dog has little to no real daily joy left in its life and is really just weakly hanging on, we have the responsibility to be as courageous as that dog and give relief. It is better for any loved companion to have a kind passing with the help of a vet, in the presence of the person who has loved them and vice versa, than for that cavalier to pass away in pain and struggle and panic.

Yesterday my anxiety really got to me. Today I'm better.

As for Sydney:

managing a short walk - even if it's only 5 minutes for the stimulation

today he raced through the yard barking and chasing the birds (how dare they come into his yard)

Being able to eat and wanting to eat [2 different things]

no problem with food (he will tap at the cabinet door to let me know he's hungry)

Able to move about happily

Still following me around

Managing to access water bowls - make sure you have one near their resting areas so they don't have to walk too far if not feeing too good /QUOTE]

I've had to raise his water bowl and food bowl as he was having a hard time bending down for it. Plus, he loves ice in his water, so I'm always adding that too.

Managing a cuddle or whatever affection They want

He loves when I rub the inside of his ears. He just melts into my hand.

Being able to breathe when lying down .Not in any distress. You are going to get times where things aren't totally under control and you need to speak to your vet then to see whether it is a temporary crisis or a permanent state.

Whenever I've seen any type of problem, it's a call or visit to his dr. Luckily he hasn't had much distress and it's only been a temporary crisis.

Most importantly obviously - is your beloved companion still enjoying life?

YES! Even though some things have changed for him, he still enjoys being outdoors with us, giving kisses, mealtime, and a variety of other pleasures he has always enjoyed, but on a smaller scale.

No matter what the future brings, my number 1 goal is to always make sure Sydney is well taken care of and as long as I'm around he will not suffer. With the help of everyone's love and caring, I hope Sydney will be here a good long time. But I am realistic too.

If someone is wondering 'should I contact/get to the vet' --please put it in the context of what any of us would do if you saw your child, partner or parent in such a condition, or if it was yourself -- a dog is in just as much and often more distress as a person would be, as they cannot ask to be taken in for help before it gets really terrible for them. Imagine hardly being able to breather or move for dscomfort -- any of us would get ourselves to the doctor.

I completely agree Karlin. As soon as I start saying 'should I contact/get to the vet", I know I need to. I'd rather be safe than sorry. After all, we as owners are the one who must speak for our pets and let the vets know what is going on.

Back