• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Annual Vet Visit

Brian M

Hi

Our Pops is five next month and Rosie is four and as we are now not having any annual boosters is it still worth going to the Vets for a check over ?.

They both appear to be in good health and neither seem to have developed and odd or unusual habits or symptoms to indicate that they may be having any hidden problems ,like all of us I watch them intently for any problems that may arise especially now they are nearing dreaded middle age .It seems so easy to become relatively paranoid oneself about the responsibility you have for their life in your hands and we all want our Cavaliers to have a happy and contented life without being totally wrapped in cotton wool and stuffed full of preventive supplements with the hope and belief they are helping.

Rosie does have CM but shows no outward sign of it and she out of my four is the one that loves chasing her tennis balls and rolling with Poppy and so with this I take it as sign of her good health and love of life ,theres nothing that makes me happier than when I watch all four of them charging and chasing each other about,and as we go away in four weeks I look forward to producing the next video of "More Races" or "Rosie's Run 2"

Even though I don't vaccinate my adult dogs (who were vaccinated at younger ages) I still take them for an annual visit, and my seniors have a well visit every six months. There are many, many conditions that won't show obvious symptoms until they are quite advanced and early knowledge and treatment can make a huge difference in the outcome of the disease. These illnesses include heart disease and kidney disease.

My vet will listen for heart murmurs (she and the cardiologist have been in full agreement on grading murmurs for 20 years), check eyes, ears and do a full body check. I also do annual (every six months at least for seniors) full blood chemistry with CBC and urinalysis. I do annual chest x-rays for Cavaliers that are past middle age even if they are murmur free and if they have early MVD, I do chest x-rays every six months or more often.

I would never skip annual well visits with any dog - just as I have an annual physical exam with my own internist.

Pat

Brian I also love seeing my two run around like crazy having fun. There's nothing like it. I always look forward to you videos. I would take them just to be safe.
Taking about injections my two have had their first yearly booster. I was asking the vet about this new Triennial vaccination that I have been reading about. She told me it's not available and they would only be doing yearly one's. A friend of mine has just had a letter from her vet offering this new Triennial vaccination. I really want to do this and just wondered what others think. Also I don't know if my pet insurance will still cover me if I don't vaccinate every year? I will have to look into it. I don't want to over vaccinate my dogs.

I take Polly in for a check up 2x a year. She had vaccinations as a puppy, I do not vaccinate further. She's healthy,2 years old. I'm just paranoid like that :rolleyes:

What is a Triennial vaccine?

Back