• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not Eating Much

goda

Atlas is not eating much at all. Not even the wet food entices him. And it's even organic! He has never eaten much and we have always been able to free feed our dogs.

He's growl-y and not eating his food, however he will bend over backwards for a chicken jerky. It's so strange though that even the wet food isn't enticing him.

Hi.
I have the same issue with Tess. In the hot weather we are having, I just can't get her to eat properly. She will scoff fresh meat and cooked meat scraps, but not tins or wet food. I have alot more brands and flavours to try before I give up this quest for the perfect dog food yet.

Hi.
I have the same issue with Tess. In the hot weather we are having, I just can't get her to eat properly. She will scoff fresh meat and cooked meat scraps, but not tins or wet food. I have alot more brands and flavours to try before I give up this quest for the perfect dog food yet.

If you have the freezer space why don't you consider Darlings Raw Food. It has the coreect proportions of Meat, Vegetable and Bone. If you do enquire just remember the size portions they quote are normally too much.

This is an example of one of the recipes.
Free range chicken.Whole raw minced chicken and finely ground bones (66%). Grated carrot, turnip, broccoli and other seasonal vegetables (33%). Mineral and vitamin supplements (less than 1%). Moisture: 71.2%; Protein: 14%; Total Fat: 10.9%; Ash: 1.9%; Crude Fibre: 0.5%

All of our three dogs thrive on this food. They all have good skin and coats. Their teeth and gums are in excellent condition considering we never brush their teeth. Vets are always impressed with their gleaming smiles. :rotfl:
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/

If Atlas is both growling and not eating, I'd ring your vet. (y)

i think we will be going raw because i feel it will lessen inflammation in Luka's body..

??!! According to? Have never heard this. For humans most meat is considered an inflammatory, not anti-inflammatory food (for medical anti-inflammatory diets...). For what it is worth leo has gone 7 years with an SM diagnosis with moderate progression, few symptoms and has not been on a raw diet. I know of raw fed dogs that have progressed quickly. I don't think it would be related either way myself. Giving fish oils however might have some effect (though I haven't done this either for my SM three, but take them for anti-inflammatory reasons myself though also would not say they make any noticeable difference but are good for joints anyway... :) ).

If you have the freezer space why don't you consider Darlings Raw Food. It has the coreect proportions of Meat, Vegetable and Bone. If you do enquire just remember the size portions they quote are normally too much.

Tania do you mind me asking how much a month you spend using Darlings dog food?
Only when I received a quote from them for feeding my two, I nearly fell off my chair,
infact I did fall off my chair. £90.00 a month.

Nanette

Sometimes I feel like the reason why dogs will not eat the food we put down for them is because it is not "special". Coco has never really liked eating her dog food, however she also will bend over backwards for a treat from my hands, even if she has wet food in her dish and I have a crunchy little biscuit in my hand, she will go for what is in my hand. If I had kibble in her dish and picked the pieces out and hand fed them to her, she would gobble it up.

I stopped treats 100% for quite a few days along with taking her dish away if she ignored it and she is getting so much better at eating when I put her dish down :) She still has days she doesn't seem terribly interested in eating, but definitely more good days than bad. All it takes is on the day of refusal to eat, I eliminate treats, and by the next meal time she will eat it hehe

Definitely worth a vet check on top of it all, just incase there is a medical reason for the behavior.

??!! According to? Have never heard this. For humans most meat is considered an inflammatory, not anti-inflammatory food (for medical anti-inflammatory diets...). For what it is worth leo has gone 7 years with an SM diagnosis with moderate progression, few symptoms and has not been on a raw diet. I know of raw fed dogs that have progressed quickly. I don't think it would be related either way myself. Giving fish oils however might have some effect (though I haven't done this either for my SM three, but take them for anti-inflammatory reasons myself though also would not say they make any noticeable difference but are good for joints anyway... :) ).

He was on it before and had no scratching SM like symptoms, we took him off because it was really expensive to buy the pre-made frozen. Now I am thinking of just making our own,

I find feeding raw is actually cheaper than kibble feeding. Although I do still give a little kibble but not as much as I did. I do all my own and not patties. I have a good butcher who really looks after me. Fantastic for their teeth too.

Hmm..Not sure of it's effects on things like SM but I have read quite a few stories of on dog forums about how much better their dogs with arthritis is going once going raw. The owner of the pet store I work for has a black lab with severe arthritis. She has been on tramadol for a few years now and she has always supplemented with salmon oil/glocosamine/chondroitin and has been fed a high quality kibble. Nothing seemed to be making much of a difference. She decided to try raw about 5 months ago and has noticed a pretty big change in her lab and she's even been able to go off her tramadol completely! Maybe it effects everyone/body differently....who knows!icon_nwunsure

Nalu won't eat raw (or canned) but loves cooked meat mixed in with her dry food, so I indulge her. When we were on vacation and she had to eat her kibble without meat, she lost a pound of weight. I could wean her off the meat but I would prefer she enjoy her meals.

Back