• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

On the eve of picking up Alfie my new puppy...

Blueroses

... has anyone any tips on how I should handle his first few hours in his new home?
There will be an hour's drive back from the breeder, so I will take him out in the garden as soon as we get back to empty himself of course :)

How exciting:p

When we brought Leo home we let him explore round but didn't over exhaust him with play. When he was ready for a sleep we left him alone.
Have you puppy proofed the house yet and also thought about where he will and won't be allowed to go?
It's a good idea to have a set of rules and stick to them. It's also important to watch for sign he wants to go to the toilet.....helps with the house training.

Looking forward to plenty of photo's:p

Thank you Meljoy :) Yes I have a set of rules in mind. There will be several closed doors for the time being. I have removed anything I can see that might be dangerous to him.There are a few wires/cables that I can't do much about ie TV/ Sky box/ telephone icon_nwunsure

Last edited:
Keep calm..Remember, your new puppy will be pining for the home he/she has just left..Try and make the new environment as least scary as possible..Nice and calm is my advice.

... has anyone any tips on how I should handle his first few hours in his new home?
There will be an hour's drive back from the breeder, so I will take him out in the garden as soon as we get back to empty himself of course :)

Have you got words to use for his toileting efforts? It can help a lot if you start off telling him what he's doing when he goes, as you can follow on with this and remind him when you take him out that he's supposed to be relieving himself not playing.....

Make sure too that he knows where to find his drinking bowl and has easy access to it.

Will you be getting a little toy or blanket/Vet Bed from the breeder to bring home with him - it can be a comfort for them to have something with a familiar smell in a strange place? Most of mine have come with their own piece of Vet Bed but Herbie had a lovely little duvet/quilt with a doggy design all over the fabric, to bring with him.

Good luck!

Rosemary

Thank you dozyrosy, I dont know if the breeder will do this but it sounds a great idea.

I have made myself laugh thinking about toileting words actually, imagining the neighbours listening to me saying 'go wee wee' or similar :lol:

Im very grateful for all these tips thank you (y)

I'm excited for you I'm sure everything will go well. Enjoy your new puppy and don't forget the photos. Don't forget to praise him when he's been a good boy.

Will you be getting a little toy or blanket/Vet Bed from the breeder to bring home with him - it can be a comfort for them to have something with a familiar smell in a strange place? Most of mine have come with their own piece of Vet Bed but Herbie had a lovely little duvet/quilt with a doggy design all over the fabric, to bring with him.

Good luck!

Rosemary

When I collected my puppies I sat in the back of the car and gently tickled and talked to them. Previously I sent a blanket to the breeders so they had the smell of something familiar. I think this was a comfort.

I don't believe in keeping the puppies away from you at night. I personally would have a pen by your bed so they feel the comfort of knowing you are there.

It is actually Five in a Bed Now !

5812629047_f167a2d0ff_b.jpg

My little puppies are monsters and at four years old and it is a race who gets a space in the bed first :slp:

Last edited:
I'm excited for you I'm sure everything will go well. Enjoy your new puppy and don't forget the photos. Don't forget to praise him when he's been a good boy.

Ok I wont :D

When I collected my puppies I sat in the back of the car and gently tickled and talked to them. Previously I sent a blanket to the breeders so they had the smell of something familiar. I think this was a comfort.

I don't believe in keeping the puppies away from you at night. I personally would have a pen by your bed so they feel the comfort of knowing you are there.

My little puppies are monsters and at four years old and it is a race who gets a space in the bed first :slp:

Unfortunately I will be travelling alone so will not be able to stroke him, but I will talk to him continually. I will put the pen by my bed to start with (y)

Thanks everybody. Im SOOOOOOO excited :jump:

Some ideas on this one....

Thank you Meljoy :) Yes I have a set of rules in mind. There will be several closed doors for the time being. I have removed anything I can see that might be dangerous to him.There are a few wires/cables that I can't do much about ie TV/ Sky box/ telephone icon_nwunsure

I put a filled box/plastic tub or two in front of those areas for a while. Gracie has shown no interest at all in electrical cords or outlets.... but when we first brought her home, these were very helpful.

I have made myself laugh thinking about toileting words actually, imagining the neighbours listening to me saying 'go wee wee' or similar :lol:

When I had my previous two boys I used to tell them "Toilet, toilet!" - My sister-in-law having heard me calling this one evening to them said "All your neighbours must think you've named the dogs 'Toilet'"...

You don't have to use the words like wee or poo that we'd normally associate with toilet training - since our dogs don't actually speak English you could say 'Jellyfish' or 'Iggly Piggly' and that would be fine :lol: - as long as you're not likely to be using the words regularly in conversation or in a context where a pup might get the wrong message! But preferably use short words with a distinct sound that Alfie won't confuse with other commands like 'sit' and 'down', etc.

Rosemary

I put a filled box/plastic tub or two in front of those areas for a while. Gracie has shown no interest at all in electrical cords or outlets.... but when we first brought her home, these were very helpful.

Good plan thank you :smile:

When I had my previous two boys I used to tell them "Toilet, toilet!" - My sister-in-law having heard me calling this one evening to them said "All your neighbours must think you've named the dogs 'Toilet'"...

:lol::lol::lol:

You don't have to use the words like wee or poo that we'd normally associate with toilet training - since our dogs don't actually speak English you could say 'Jellyfish' or 'Iggly Piggly' and that would be fine :lol: - as long as you're not likely to be using the words regularly in conversation or in a context where a pup might get the wrong message! But preferably use short words with a distinct sound that Alfie won't confuse with other commands like 'sit' and 'down', etc.

Rosemary

No 'wee' wouldn't be ideal if you use a Wii would it ? :lol:

'business' or 'get busy' might be a good one

Well it's 'D' day now..... think of me! Thanks all for your help

Back