• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Throwing Up

Zumie05

Coco has been eating Ziwi Peak with absolutely no problems (other than occasionally not having an apetite). No stool problems or anything. I have had her on venison, and venison + fish, and decided to try lamb this time around. I did mix it VERY well, and there is a higher ratio of the venison than there is the lamb. She has thrown up a couple of times since switching. Not every meal, but once in a while. She is not acting sick or lethargic, she still has normal poos, eyes are clear, nose is not running... could this mean she is allergic to lamb?

It is possible....

You also may have gotten a bad batch of the lamb. I use Nature's Variety frozen raw and it had a recall a year ago. Store could have had temperature issues in freezer or shipping may have been poorly done in this heat. Throwing up sounds a bit more like some bad meat but not sure.

Could she be eating it too quickly? Thirty years ago, we had an Irish Setter who barfed up every meal within minutes. Vet said he swallowed it so quickly that it basically 'bounced' back up. Once we found a way to get the dog to slow down, all was well.

Coco has been eating Ziwi Peak with absolutely no problems (other than occasionally not having an apetite). No stool problems or anything. I have had her on venison, and venison + fish, and decided to try lamb this time around. I did mix it VERY well, and there is a higher ratio of the venison than there is the lamb. She has thrown up a couple of times since switching. Not every meal, but once in a while. She is not acting sick or lethargic, she still has normal poos, eyes are clear, nose is not running... could this mean she is allergic to lamb?

Is she throwing up chunks or clear liquid?

Also check inside her legs to make sure that she does not have an inguinal hernia, located in the groin area normally on the inner surface of the dog’s back leg. A friend's dog had one and this made her regurgitate her dinner shortly after consuming it, due to the pressure.

Sometimes yes dogs eat too fast and it is as simple as that - it doesn't sound like this is the problem here but try giving her a few bits at a time. This is also a good way to get a dog used to your hands in the food bowl - throw a few pieces in at a time, gradually getting closer to the bowl.

As she is doing so well on the venison one, perhaps there really isn't any need for you to change varieties especially as she has had digestive issues in the past. Normally we recommend that people who feed dry foods rotate varieties and even brands from time to time to ensure the dog is getting the right nutrients.

Sometimes dogs know that something isn't good for them and that is why they regurgitate - usually something dead that they have found on a walk though!

If it was sensitivity I would think her more likely to show that in diarrhoea or skin issues.

To change a food you need to do it over 7-10 days - start by feeding 1/4 new 3/4 old food for a few days, then 50/50 then 3/4 new 1/4 old.

I would strongly suggest you go back to the old food and see what happens - obviously if you are concerned see the vet or at least telephone them.

Back