• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What to do if someone gives you a cavalier puppy without you asking

anniemac

When my aunt and uncles dog died, my cousins got the bright idea to give them a springer spaniel puppy for christmas. Even though Buck became the most loved dog, it was not something they expected or wanted.

People handle grief differently and some feel to immediately get another which is fine, but we all know buying a puppy is a big deal. No one has given me a puppy even though its been mentioned, but when I'm ready for an addition, I would want to be the one finding the right puppy of course from a breeding that fits my health concerns, puppy that speaks to me, etc.

I know my family wouldn't do this even though they do feel in time, it would be a good thing. I've seen people buy puppies as presents and any breeder that I respect, interview the buyer and would be against something like this. They want a good home for their puppies.

My question is for those of us who think that getting a puppy is a huge responsibility etc. What do you do if someone buys you a puppy? I guess you give it back but every puppy buying guide says that do not see the puppies before doing research because once they are in your arms its hard to let go.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

...Me? I'd say thank you and be very happy! No I do agree with you really. :rolleyes: I was offered a puppy free from a good breeder and MRI scanned parents and I turned it down and later got Poppy my beautiful rescue dog. She needed me more than a puppy.

Last edited:
Thats a tough one as who wouldnt fall in love with a puppy immediately:luv:
But if the proper checks havent been done are you taking on a life time of hurt, worry and expense?
Not to mention lining the pockets of irresponsible breeders:(

Im not sure what I'd do

Thats a tough one as who wouldnt fall in love with a puppy immediately:luv:
But if the proper checks havent been done are you taking on a life time of hurt, worry and expense?
Not to mention lining the pockets of irresponsible breeders:(

Im not sure what I'd do

Well they could say whatever no SM, MVD etc. But would you really say, "thanks but can I see the health certificates?"

My family and friends all know how very strongly I feel that animals should never be given as gifts.

My husband gave me a gift certificate for a parrot, though. :-D

Even if they were the best breeder in the world, perfect breeding and health tests, for me, the best memory was going to see ellas litter. I originally wanted a girl but none were for sale, so she was there with the boys. She immediately stood out and it was a magical moment. I didn't know she was the girl, but even the breeder could tell we were a perfect match. The rest is history,

I take the previous post back. I would be so thankful because it will be a long time before I can afford what cavaliers cost here. I believe you can't put a price on health and the breeders I would look at are breeding for the love of the breed and not profit, don't charge that much to make a big profit but they are quite expensive. Even ones from BYB go for over $1000 and maybe AKC registered but definately no health tests. Those are the ones that breed for profit and not for the love of the breed. I'm amazed.

So are you saying you'd be okay with someone giving you a Cav puppy? Would you feel compelled to call the breeder and check on health issues before you got too attached?

I think this is a hard call. I think my family and friends know that picking a puppy is a very personal decision. I don't think they would surprise me with one.

Do you think your family or friends are thinking about doing this?

So are you saying you'd be okay with someone giving you a Cav puppy? Would you feel compelled to call the breeder and check on health issues before you got too attached?

I think this is a hard call. I think my family and friends know that picking a puppy is a very personal decision. I don't think they would surprise me with one.

Do you think your family or friends are thinking about doing this?

No I wouldn't be ok. My family wouldn't but I have several people constantly telling me about getting a puppy and I am not ready. Just hypothetical question b/c I saw where I guy proposed with a cavalier puppy.

What the recipient does would have to depend on the situation and circumstance.

No reputable breeder would home a dog to someone who planned to give it as a present to someone else who might not necessarily want a dog, and where they'd have no idea what kind of home the recipient might offer, what they were like, etc --so from the start no one receiving a puppy as a gift is going to have it coming from a responsible health testing breeder -- no decent breeder would take a risk like that unless it was to a family they knew that might already have dogs etc. No rescue would home dogs this way either -- and I have been asked to do so, often to replace some friend or relative's dog that passed away or 'to surprise the kids'. :yikes

Many of the dogs I have taken into rescue over the years were such unwanted gifts, usually from an adult child to their mother so 'she wouldn't be lonely' or from a husband to wife or from parents to their kids 'because they wanted a puppy'. Too often it doesn't work out -- mum may not want the responsibility and to be tied down, much less the cost of a pet; kids often want a puppy for 5 minutes then their attention moves on and the puppy languishes out in the garden, ignored.

This is just never, ever a responsible way to home a dog and especially not at Christmas when being a gift means a puppy gets totally stressed and overwhelmed (another sing of a bad breeder: one happy to send a puppy off as a Christmas present :x).

The people who are honest and responsible, finding themselves in this situation, rehome when they realise a dog/puppy was the wrong choice (still: that poor gift choice ends up being the burden of rescue... :|. ) I also do know quite a few people who have received puppies and have returned them to the giver or breeder for any range of reasons -- eg they didn't want a dog, weren't yet ready to get one, didn't know the breeder, wanted to pick out their own dog.

If someone gave me a puppy, unless it was from a breeder who knows me and I know them etc, I'd politely decline and explain my reasons.

Back