Thread: CM, PSOM - should we continue using heartgard plus monthly?

Post Thanks / Like

Default CM, PSOM - should we continue using heartgard plus monthly?

My Bee is diagnosed with CM without SM but he has PSOM and had his ears flushed.General vet told me to stop giving heartgard plus monthly due to Bee's condition and we are not in a risk area with Mosquitos.I hears that it is difficult to treat heart worm, prevention is best so I am not really sure if it is necessary to stop heartgard plus. Any advice?ThanksKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is probably better to ask your neurologist this question, or have your vet talk to the neurologist -- I have never heard a recommendation to stop heartworm preventatives due to CM, SM or PSOM if the general advice is to give heartworm meds. I thought heartworm meds were advised pretty much anywhere in California?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dittoing what Karlin said. Did he mean stop heartworm preventitives all together, or just the Heartguard Plus main ingredient? Our vet had us switch to Heartguard from another (name's escaping me at the moment) because Heartguard is supposed to also kill young heartworms, not just eggs, and our last dog had a couple of heartworms when we got her from the pound, but not enough to put her through the whole heartworm treatment with her heart condition. I hope the neurologist can give you some clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

Default PSOM, CM - heartgard plus, NAC usage

I called my neuro and she said there is no problem using heartgard plus with Bee's condition.Just FYI, I asked Dr. Cole from Ohio state university about NAC supplement for PSOM condition. She said there is no research done to see if it helps or not.Thanks for your help