Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions regarding gettng a Cavalier...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    The point is you would still get a cavalier. ...
    Oh, yeah, we'd still get a cavalier, and one after that, and one after that, too. But, I think anybody wanting one needs to go in with their eyes open and be well informed.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Oh, yeah, we'd still get a cavalier, and one after that, and one after that, too. But, I think anybody wanting one needs to go in with their eyes open and be well informed.
    I agree with that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I agree with that.
    Figured that!
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Have 3 Cavaliers all with health issues.

I don't believe people on this forum are trying to "Scare" anyone out of cavaliers... but in general the public seems to be under educated about the severity of the diseases in cavaliers. I went to 3 different vets to get 1 dog diagnosed! All 3 of mine have CM & 2 have SM. 1 has MVD. They are all under 5 years of age. My youngest showed symptoms when I brought him home at 12 weeks of age... I find owning severely affected Cavaliers makes you want to educate people about them. Maybe Rod comes off a little gruff about the health issues but I do believe it is deserved. I know I might come off as trying to "scare" new owners out there puppy. Not what I'm trying to do. But when you live with an affected Cavalier and watch the pain that can happen during an SM episodes it really changes you. It is not pleasant. I love my Cavaliers and would own another one. But just realize the chances and be prepared. Also most dog breeds have health issues if you look them up.... But I do personally believe Cavaliers are a high risk breed to own! They likely hood that they will come down with something is so great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lccreature View Post
    Matilda, I see that you have a silver tabby british shorthair, I absolutely LOVE those cats. I bet she is adorable!
    She's a beauty! She arrived home last week. I posted photos in this thread.
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to say that I don't feel anyone is trying to "scare" me or anyone else away from this breed. Like someone else previously stated, every breed has it's own set of health issues. I have had German Shepherds all my live (up until the past few years), one of which had hip surgery at 4 months to correct severe dysplasia. And working in the veterinary field for nearly 20 years, I am well aware of the health issues with most breeds. However, I was not aware of the severity/prevalence of the health issues with Cavaliers. I came here to ask a specific question and along with my own research I feel my questions were answered. As much as I think a Cavalier would be a perfect match for my daughter and our family. I am not sure she is ready to take on dealing with a dog with potential serious issues. It is such a shame that these beautiful dogs and their owners are having to deal with these health issues and I believe the public needs to be better educated about this. Thanks to all of you for responding!!

Post Thanks / Like

I too appreciate everyone's honesty. It's better for the potential owner to know the whole truth.That said, I think it's a good reminder for all, that it's almost a necessity to have Pet Health Insurance for our Cavaliers. And of course one that covers these predisposed conditions.
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010