Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Looking for cost estimates for SM

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Looking for cost estimates for SM

    I am looking to adopt a cavalier in the near future. Before I do this, though, I want to make sure that I'll be able to afford the medication for both SM and MVD if either of these diseases/conditions present itself. I'd feel awful if I wasn't able to afford decent treatment. I understand that MVD isn't too expensive to treat but I haven't found information on SM yet here on this board. I'm sure it's somewhere on here, so I apologize for posting a thread about it, but I searched and browsed and came up with nothing.

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe look into petinsurance? Sm and mvd cAn eaily be thousands of dollars for treatment And meds. believe me.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post
    I am looking to adopt a cavalier in the near future. Before I do this, though, I want to make sure that I'll be able to afford the medication for both SM and MVD if either of these diseases/conditions present itself. I'd feel awful if I wasn't able to afford decent treatment. I understand that MVD isn't too expensive to treat but I haven't found information on SM yet here on this board. I'm sure it's somewhere on here, so I apologize for posting a thread about it, but I searched and browsed and came up with nothing.

    Thank you very much.
    Well to get Luka diagnosed was 2200.00- Trupannion covers some of this, but we just got the insurance. The estimate for his surgery is 4800.00. (Trupannion covers 90 percent after the deductible.)

    His Gabapentin, 90 pills is 15 dollas at Costco
    Codeine, 15 dollars per refill
    Rimadyl, is 35 for 28 pills. Which we can only get at the vets office. He is on that instead of Prednisone.

    Acupuncture is 50 $ a visit.

    We live in the Seattle, WA area. Things are more expensive here.

    Hope that helps.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I personally would never own another Cavalier without health insurance... Then again I would not be able to afford them without it!

    MRI scans were $2000 each
    Surgery was estimated for $3000-$5000
    Monthly medications per dog are running us about $75
    Cardio work up was $250 (Needs to be done every 6-12 months from my understanding to monitor progression but we are focusing on his SM more)
    Not sure on heart meds yet. Have not come to that point yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is quite sad to hear. After all the research I've done I was putting myself in the right frame of mind (emotionally) to adopt a dog that may very well have serious health problems. But I just flat out can't afford these ridiculous costs unfortunately. Even with health insurance I'd probably be struggling to pay the deductible (depending on the amount, which I'd imagine would probably be pretty hefty for a Cavalier). It looks like I should probably wait a good while before adopting a cavalier. I don't think I could bear getting myself into a situation that could make me sacrifice good health care because I couldn't afford the costs.

    At least there are plenty of other beautiful and heart-melting breeds out there!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Perhaps I spoke too soon, pet insurance isn't as much of a pipe dream as I was thinking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pet insurance will be maybe 40 a month! Deductible 200 bucks a year and a 10 percent co pay if somethong happend.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    Pet insurance will be maybe 40 a month! Deductible 200 bucks a year and a 10 percent co pay if somethong happend.
    Which is MUCH more affordable than I was thinking. I was expecting deductibles that were close to a couple thousand each year. 40 a month is absolutely worth it. I don't have to give up on the opportunity to adopt a beautiful cavalier after all

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Prenton Cheshire
    Posts
    4,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi

    You wont regret it ,the amount of love ,fun and happiness they supply in abundance to you cant
    be measured or counted .Theres never a dull moment and in their you have a permanent smile.
    Brian M

    Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post
    Which is MUCH more affordable than I was thinking. I was expecting deductibles that were close to a couple thousand each year. 40 a month is absolutely worth it. I don't have to give up on the opportunity to adopt a beautiful cavalier after all
    The cost is not only financial. You need to think how you will cope emotionally if you are unlucky and end up one of the owners that are forced to watch a young dog suffer while you try and find a mixture of medications that will give them some quality of life.

    How you will feel if your pet is one of those that cannot be kept comfortable and to save further suffering you are forced to put them to sleep at a ridiculously early age.

    It does happen.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •