• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for cost estimates for SM

taoofjord

I am looking to adopt a cavalier in the near future. Before I do this, though, I want to make sure that I'll be able to afford the medication for both SM and MVD if either of these diseases/conditions present itself. I'd feel awful if I wasn't able to afford decent treatment. I understand that MVD isn't too expensive to treat but I haven't found information on SM yet here on this board. I'm sure it's somewhere on here, so I apologize for posting a thread about it, but I searched and browsed and came up with nothing.

Thank you very much.

I am looking to adopt a cavalier in the near future. Before I do this, though, I want to make sure that I'll be able to afford the medication for both SM and MVD if either of these diseases/conditions present itself. I'd feel awful if I wasn't able to afford decent treatment. I understand that MVD isn't too expensive to treat but I haven't found information on SM yet here on this board. I'm sure it's somewhere on here, so I apologize for posting a thread about it, but I searched and browsed and came up with nothing.

Thank you very much.

Well to get Luka diagnosed was 2200.00- Trupannion covers some of this, but we just got the insurance. The estimate for his surgery is 4800.00. (Trupannion covers 90 percent after the deductible.)

His Gabapentin, 90 pills is 15 dollas at Costco
Codeine, 15 dollars per refill
Rimadyl, is 35 for 28 pills. Which we can only get at the vets office. He is on that instead of Prednisone.

Acupuncture is 50 $ a visit.

We live in the Seattle, WA area. Things are more expensive here.

Hope that helps.

I personally would never own another Cavalier without health insurance... Then again I would not be able to afford them without it!

MRI scans were $2000 each
Surgery was estimated for $3000-$5000
Monthly medications per dog are running us about $75
Cardio work up was $250 (Needs to be done every 6-12 months from my understanding to monitor progression but we are focusing on his SM more)
Not sure on heart meds yet. Have not come to that point yet.

This is quite sad to hear. After all the research I've done I was putting myself in the right frame of mind (emotionally) to adopt a dog that may very well have serious health problems. But I just flat out can't afford these ridiculous costs unfortunately. Even with health insurance I'd probably be struggling to pay the deductible (depending on the amount, which I'd imagine would probably be pretty hefty for a Cavalier). It looks like I should probably wait a good while before adopting a cavalier. I don't think I could bear getting myself into a situation that could make me sacrifice good health care because I couldn't afford the costs. :(

At least there are plenty of other beautiful and heart-melting breeds out there! :)

Pet insurance will be maybe 40 a month! Deductible 200 bucks a year and a 10 percent co pay if somethong happend.

Which is MUCH more affordable than I was thinking. I was expecting deductibles that were close to a couple thousand each year. 40 a month is absolutely worth it. I don't have to give up on the opportunity to adopt a beautiful cavalier after all :)

Hi

You wont regret it ,the amount of love ,fun and happiness they supply in abundance to you cant
be measured or counted .Theres never a dull moment and in their you have a permanent smile.

Which is MUCH more affordable than I was thinking. I was expecting deductibles that were close to a couple thousand each year. 40 a month is absolutely worth it. I don't have to give up on the opportunity to adopt a beautiful cavalier after all :)

The cost is not only financial. You need to think how you will cope emotionally if you are unlucky and end up one of the owners that are forced to watch a young dog suffer while you try and find a mixture of medications that will give them some quality of life.

How you will feel if your pet is one of those that cannot be kept comfortable and to save further suffering you are forced to put them to sleep at a ridiculously early age.

It does happen.

I agree with Margaret,
Emotionally my Jack having CM has paid a toll on me. Some random examples: not being able to do our morning runs especially in warm weather, seeing him become more symptomatic after playing in the dog park, during stormy weather. I don't take him to get groomed because he can't tolerate it, plus I worry they just won't be gentle enough. Making sure when I leave town that he has someone watching him who is capable of maintaining his med schedule. Likewise, having to make sure I am home to give out medications 4x a day at appropriate intervals or setting up his timed dishes. So having flexibility in your schedule or a second person to help out is important should the dog warrant multiple medications
I have pet insurance (trupanion) I chose a zero dollar deductible along with hip dysplasia coverage and pay ~$44/month (however that was with Jack enrolled at less than 1 year of age, prior to any symptoms present/documented), I live in NYC. Remember though that doesn't ever cover office visits or routine stuff. Other policies may cover, not sure.

All that said, I hope I didn't discourage you but if your dog has CM or SM this could be some things your looking at (many are not as severe, many are worse and I don't have any input on MVD at this point) In the end for me, it comes down to the fact that I love Jack to pieces and he is worth every sacrifice:p

I will say it is very hard to watch a love one with SM. Its an emotional rollercoaster but I would not trade the joy and love she brought me for the world. I'm sure its tough anytime you love a dog so much and try to do anything to help them.

Are you looking at adopting a puppy or older cavalier? If they are a bit older, then you might know more about their health. True, you will not know about history and health test when adopting. I think about that some myself. Do I face those unknowns or research and take time to find a breeder that knows a lot about lines, does all health tests, etc. And know I did my best?

Its a chance you take and there are no guarantees but I will guarantee that you will fall in love no matter what.

It would be a shame fo

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cost really isn't that bad with insurance..... I pay $34/mo for my youngest & $42/mo ea for the 2 adults. Then they cover 90% except vet visits & routine care (shots, deworming etc.). I have a $0 deductible.

The hardest part is the emotional roller coaster... taking the good & the bad days. It was very hard to watch a 12 week old pup with sever symptoms (now he is 1 and has been on meds since 6 months) & equally hard to have a neurologist tell you your 4 year old dog had less then a year to live. I know they are both extreme cases & had I spent time looking for a breeder who MRI tests I might not be dealing with it ...at least maybe not so soon... But I wouldn't trade them for the world. :l*v: Cavaliers really have a way of stealing your heart!

I don't mean to say that with the financial aspect made manageable that I'll be coasting by on easy street. I'm just saying that the emotional side is not a deterrent against adopting a cavalier. I don't want to forego a chance to bond with such a beautiful and charming animal because of that potential.

I'd be adopting one knowing full well that this isn't a faint possibility. I know it will be extremely difficult and draining but this dog would get these inherited illnesses with or without me... at least I'll have had the opportunity to give the cavalier a great life and home and make sure he or she is well taken care of. And I really have plenty of love to give. :)

I don't mean to say that with the financial aspect made manageable that I'll be coasting by on easy street. I'm just saying that the emotional side is not a deterrent against adopting a cavalier. I don't want to forego a chance to bond with such a beautiful and charming animal because of that potential.

I'd be adopting one knowing full well that this isn't a faint possibility. I know it will be extremely difficult and draining but this dog would get these inherited illnesses with or without me... at least I'll have had the opportunity to give the cavalier a great life and home and make sure he or she is well taken care of. And I really have plenty of love to give. :)

Love your attitude. You will make a great home!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I agree you will be a wonderful cavie mommy! I respect and applaud how prepared and responsible you are being regarding your future cavalier. Please let us know when/if you get one.

I know it will be extremely difficult and draining but this dog would get these inherited illnesses with or without me... at least I'll have had the opportunity to give the cavalier a great life and home and make sure he or she is well taken care of. And I really have plenty of love to give. :)

(y) It is so wonderful that you are taking the time to do the research and understand what it may take! Agreed you would be a fantastic Cavalier owner! Wish more future Cavalier owners were this way!

I agree you will be a wonderful cavie mommy! I respect and applaud how prepared and responsible you are being regarding your future cavalier. Please let us know when/if you get one.

Daddy, actually. :)

And I'd like to thank all of you for being so warm and helpful. It's communities like these that make positive changes happen.

Back