Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New information from advisory council

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New information from advisory council

This has just appeared in this week's DOG WORLD

The Key Item on the Agenda of the DOG ADVISORY'S COUNCIL Recent Meeting ,was the creation of a Breeding Assurance Scheme

This follows on what the Advisory Council Spokes-person said from Professor Sir P. Bateson's Report into DOG BREEDING ,was that there should be a Creation of a ROBUST BREEDER SCHEME.

That there should be Requirements with Regard to PRE-MATING Health TESTS ,and that NO MATING should take place if the TESTS indicate that this if this wouls be Inadvisable

This is also a further comment from the Advisory Council Spokes-Person,that the Assurance Scheme seeks to provide ASSURANCE to Purchasers ,that a Product(PUPPY) is Healthy ,Safe,and fit for the Intended Purpose.

Further comment from the Dog Advisory Council also said that ,the Aim should be to ensure that such a Scheme provides assurance of Good Standards of HEALTH and WELFARE for all Dogs Involved.

This should be read by Every-Body whether a Breeder or a Purchaser

This has now to be the FOCUS of the Next Stage of the Work of the Dog Advisory Council the Council Spoke-Person said.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news -- if a truly robust scheme emerges that provides real motivation for breeders to test properly and breed for health and gives proper recognition to those who do.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New information from advisory council

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    That's great news -- if a truly robust scheme emerges that provides real motivation for breeders to test properly and breed for health and gives proper recognition to those who do.

NEW INFORMATION FROM ADVISORY COUNCIL

Is the Bottom Line, do not Breed from a Dog who has not been Health Tested.

Take our Cavalier Breed ,the Gene/Genes for MVD have not been discovered ,this Research has been going on for over 20 years, we don't even know the Mode of Inheritance.

Look at the Cavaliers' SM Problem , it now looks as if CM has a bigger part to play than was first thought , so if thats the case does it mean that Cavaliers with CM should not be being Bred from ,because I believe I've read that CM leads onto Syrinxes forming.

Hopefully the Advisory Council will have the answer to this. Thank Goodness Dr C Rusbridge ,Neurologist is involved with the Advisory Council and will be able to advise them on the best way to tackle this Horrible Disease.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    ... the Bottom Line, do not Breed from a Dog who has not been Health Tested. ...
    Brilliant observation! But certainly nothing new! I would add, however, "and has passed those tests".

What, exactly, can this advisory council do, in the end? Whom does it advise? Can non-compliant breedings be Banned in Britain?

I used to say that nothing like this could ever happen in the US, but that was before Barry O'Bama came along.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Brilliant observation! But certainly nothing new! I would add, however, "and has passed those tests".

What, exactly, can this advisory council do, in the end? Whom does it advise? Can non-compliant breedings be Banned in Britain?

I used to say that nothing like this could ever happen in the US, but that was before Barry O'Bama came along.
    This is a high profile Advisory Council with a lot of influential animal welfare campaigners supporting its aims.
    Presumably legislation is always a possibility if breeders prove incapable of self-regulation.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    This is a high profile Advisory Council with a lot of influential animal welfare campaigners supporting its aims.

Presumably legislation is always a possibility if breeders prove incapable of self-regulation.
    I understand the council members' stati, but I don't understand their clout. While I joked a bit in my last message about it not happening over here, I really mean that I can not visualize any legislation passing the federal government here which would require specific health tests for specific breeds, and the consequences of not complying.

I guess the best example would be Sweden, where the kennel club and the CKCS breed club make passing certain tests mandatory. But even there, has the government mandated them?
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would this be breed specific legislation or for all breeds including mixes? I just don't see any promise with BSL from reading of what happens in regards to banning certain breeds for dog bites etc.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New information from the advisory council

NEW INFORMATION FROM THE ADVISORY COUNCIL

Rod,

For a start , Dr C Rusbridge ,Neurologist ,is on the Advisory Council, and I would think will be giving it all the up-to Date Information about the CM/SM Problem in Cavaliers. There are also a Couple of Geneticists , one who has been involved with the Finding of the Gene for Epsodic Falling and Curly Coat Syndrome in our Cavalier Breed.

You mention about Banning Non Compliant Cavalier Breeders, for a Moment the Lord has removed His Hand from My Mouth !!!,so I will say once more,this

this will be down to the Cavalier Buying Public not buying a Cavalier from a Cavalier Breeder who does not Health Check their Cavalier Breeing Stock and follow the Breeding Guidelines issue from the Researchers into the SM and MVD Problems in our Cavaliers.To delay the early On-Set of both those Diseases do not Breed from a Cavalier before 2.5 years of age, and has no MVD or SM Problem ,and know the Health Status of the Parents at 5.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the council members' stati, but I don't understand their clout. While I joked a bit in my last message about it not happening over here, I really mean that I can not visualize any legislation passing the federal government here which would require specific health tests for specific breeds, and the consequences of not complying.

I guess the best example would be Sweden, where the kennel club and the CKCS breed club make passing certain tests mandatory. But even there, has the government mandated them?

Hi Rod
    A start here would be the Kennel club only registering puppies that come from fully health tested (where approved test are available) clear parents.
    All the best
    Sue
    all the best
    Sue

Sue Newnes
    Penquite Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penquite View Post
    Hi Rod
    A start here would be the Kennel club only registering puppies that come from fully health tested (where approved test are available) clear parents.
    Yeah, but ... Is the KC on board with this panel? Did the KC appoint it, or did Parliament or a department of the government? Or is it totally independent?

And: What tests? Who decides which tests to include? I can come up with a list of a dozen tests for cavaliers, covering items like diabetes, thyroid issues, various eye disorders, deafness, which I doubt any CKCS club would consider including in its list.

Over here, we have recommended tests under the CHIC program, but the AKC parent clubs decide which ones, and the recommended ones by the cavalier parent club, the ACKCSC, do not even include the MVD breeding protocol or the SM protocol. So, over here, if the decision remained with the AKC, it would defer to its parent clubs, and the ACKCSC's recommendations would be worthless.
    Rod Russell