Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you bath your dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you bath your dogs?

Having just got my new puppy I am wondering whether you bath your dogs regularly or just when required ie. dirty, smelly,been rolling in something unmentionable etc. Dont their ears get into everything? .... including dinner !

Post Thanks / Like

I bathe Lady about once every 2 weeks as that's when I notice she starts to smell a bit (although she can go longer without one if she hasn't spent a lot of time outside). So yes, I only really give her a bath if I feel she needs it or if I'm having guests around, as she's very friendly (up close and personal) with absolutely everyone and I like her to smell nice.
    Matilda
    Mummy to Lady (Blenheim Cavalier) and Lola (Silver Tabby British Shorthair)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueroses View Post
    Having just got my new puppy I am wondering whether you bath your dogs regularly or just when required ie. dirty, smelly,been rolling in something unmentionable etc. Dont their ears get into everything? .... including dinner !
    I just bath mine when I think she's looking a bit grubby, or for special occasions. Don't bath your dog too often as it will take all the natural oils out of her coat and this isn't good for her coat or skin. I do mine maybe once every 6wks - 2mths (ish)

You can buy or make a snood to put on you cavalier at mealtimes to stop their ears going in their dinner. Please see link below to give you an idea.

http://www.classiegrooming.com/page11.htm

If you can sew (I can't very well! - but if pushed I could probably, almost make one) then they are easy to make, just take an oblong piece of material, sew the shorter sides together, and run elastic round the two ends, and Bingo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only give mine an actual bath with shampoo every few months unless they roll in something horrible . But they do get wet, either from swimming, or wading, or me rinsing them off with water, regularly.

Many vets suggest washing more than every few months strips out protective oils from their skins and coats and can make them prone to dry skin problems and reduces the lustre of the coat. Others say bathing every few weeks is OK but generally I would not recommend more than monthly with shampoo -- you can just give a dog a quick rinse with water and almost any dirt will come out of the coat. For pee smells, just rinsing legs, belly and/or hind leg feathering will remove it. If you are lucky enough to be near a beach or lake, an occasional swim will keep dogs really nice and clean too! I don't know if it really matters all that much if people bathe dogs more often but personally, I wouldn't. A good brushing removes most dirt in the coat.

Many owners use a snood to keep ears clean at meals or when they have a treat. There are lots of websites that sell these. Do a search here on the term and a few threads with links will come up!

Puppies don't tend to need much bathing at all unless they get into something, step in poops (as often happens! ) etc.

It is important to only use shampoos and conditioners that are intended for dogs as the pH of their skin is completely different from people and human products are very harsh for their skin/coat.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Davecav, I have even seen instructions somewhere for making an easy snood out of an old t-shirt sleeve!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

About once a month ..in between if he should get into something yucky..but no chance of that now that Im an inner city dweller. I allways used a good shampoo like Aloveen which is kind to the coat and skin.
    My little dog ..a heartbeat at my feet. Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm in the "every few months unless...." group. Clancy gets shampooed at the groomer every 2-3 months. If he has a seizure in between, he gets a quickie to clean the pee off (he always urinates during a grand mal). We've had the baby 6 weeks now and he's only had sink rinses if he steps in his poop.
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks everyone. Ive had an idea re. the ears in dinner problem. Whilst he is such a small puppy I could cut a piece off some tights to form a tube. Obviously with the foot off !

Post Thanks / Like

My boy gets bathed every two weeks due to him being an active pet therapy dog. I think you have to be careful about stripping the coat oils however if you use a good shampoo you should be fine. I know a couple people that bathe every week. My other dogs get neglected to once a month, and I only bath that often because my daughter has allergies. Doctor recommended weekly baths but I found once a month was good enough to keep down pet dander.

ETA: I use spaniel bowl for food. Works great for me and no need to worry about the snood.