Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you bath your dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Pippin gets bathed every 2 weeks in summer - he is such a "swiffer" dog that he gets quite dirty underneath, and it needs shampoo to get it out properly. Maddie gets bathed every week in summer - vet advice to wash the pollens from her coat. Their bedding gets washed at least once a week in summer as well for the same reason. I use a lovely mild oatmeal shampoo and conditioner.

In winter they tend to wear jumpers when out, so I just rinse their paws off as and when needed, and they only get a full bath if they look dirty or if they are smelly (or when Maddie rolls in something )

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes use "Rub downs" on Leo. They are like baby wipes for dogs and can be found in the pet isle of most supermarkets.
    Obviously they aren't as good as soap and water but they are quick and they do help, espcially if we've been out and he's a bit muddy. Then a good brush and he looks clean and smells a lot better too

He is taken to the groomer every 6 weeks for a bath and hair cut.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueroses View Post
    Having just got my new puppy I am wondering whether you bath your dogs regularly or just when required ie. dirty, smelly,been rolling in something unmentionable etc. Dont their ears get into everything? .... including dinner !
    Twice a month or when they get really dirty. I trim their hair and my cavaliers have a short coat so it's never been much of an issue for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great idea!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Davecav, I have even seen instructions somewhere for making an easy snood out of an old t-shirt sleeve!
    Gonna try this tonight!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washing their blankets, bed ect

When you bath them do you wash their blankets, bed ect? If not ...when/how often do you do this?
    Thanks,
    Kristen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLF View Post
    When you bath them do you wash their blankets, bed ect? If not ...when/how often do you do this?
    Thanks,
    Kristen
    Since the dogs sleep in my bed, "their" blankets and sheets get washed once a week! Seriously, having had multiple dogs for many years, I'm pretty sensitive to keeping my home from smelling like a kennel. That means that I wash all dog beds, etc., every week and vacuum frequently. Getting a large front loader washer some years back made such a difference in ease of washing and cost also since they are more efficient and use less water.

There is a real difference in opinion on how often to bathe on the opposite sides of "the pond." I bathe mine every one to two weeks - much more often than is recommended on the other side but again, I have multiple dogs and they sleep with me. Since I'm allergic to seasonal pollens and they sleep under my nose, I bathe more frequently in spring and fall. I think the key to keeping skin and coat nice and healthy is the product that you use. There are so many good products now that are soap-free and contain a combination of natural cleaning botanical agents that leave the coats nice and soft, shiny and nourished. I use products by Tropiclean - not expensive esp. if you buy them in one or five gallon sizes. All of my dogs have lovely, soft coats and good skin.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I genreally bath mine every 2weeks. I'll wash feetand face in between. I was sondering though, his fur actually seems to get oily after about 10 days. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't bathe Ruby anymore as with the SM I can tell she actually finds it intolerable now. She goes for a swim when we hit the lakes and still enjoys that- if she gets grubby I dry her off with the hair drier (which for some odd reason she actually LOVES) and then brush any dirt out. I have a spray that neutralises doggy odours which I use on her.

Charlie on the other hand rolls in every foul smell and substance known to man (and dog)! So he ends up being chucked in the bath every couple of weeks but I use the spray if it is only a smell rather than a substance!!

His new name is Mr Disgustington!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

If I had my way I would bath mine every week but there SM doesn't always allow it. All are irritated by some aspect of bathing. I typically bath every 1-3 weeks. Whenever I find them too stinky to be cuddled with anymore.

Mine always get oily looking after about a week but I figured that is because of all the fish oil I feed them.
    Flash Blitz Holly