Thread: Breeders that MRI dogs for SM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Breeders that MRI dogs for SM

Does anyone know of breeders (CA or SW region would be best) that scan their dogs for SM? Thanks!
    Mary Ann (Jack Sprat's mom)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please reply by PM do not mention breeders' names on here.

There is a list on here under MRI list http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maneumann View Post
    Does anyone know of breeders (CA or SW region would be best) that scan their dogs for SM? Thanks!
    There might not be some on the link Nicki gave you so I would contact the two parent clubs in the USA. www.ckcsc.org and their regional club http://www.cavaliersofthewest.org/ also www.ackcsc.org has a list of regional clubs which there are three in California. http://ackcsc.org/Club-Info/regional-clubs.html. They should be able to give you information.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I've looked into the clubs, and spoken with many breeders and have yet to find anyone that MRIs. Hence the post. For such an important issue facing the breed (we have one dog with SM), it is very touchy subject to navigate. I've found that every breeder says "not my dogs." Also, I don't understand why it would be wrong to name breeders that MRI, they should be encouraged and applauded for their responsibility toward the well being of the breed!
    Mary Ann (Jack Sprat's mom)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not listing breeders is a general forum rule (see the Getting Started section for more info). I would be delighted if a list of scanning breeders via a health registry where results would be noted -- much as OFA for hearts etc -- were to be created in the US. It hasn't happened yet.

But it isn't appropriate to discuss individuals; however people may PM you.

Offhand, I don't know of anyone scanning and using that information for a breeding programme on the west coast. It is likely that you will need to travel. Be sure to discuss results of scans and how a breeder is using the information they have received.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com