• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Intro to Vacuum

gamefanz

So today I decided to introduce Toby to the vacuum. I thought for sure as soon as I got it out he would bolt but he was curious until I turned it on, then he hid beside my daughter:lol:
25a21l0.jpg

9iyf5d.jpg

2947a8j.jpg

Last edited:
Lol Jasper hates the vacuum but Holly follows me round when I use it. They are the same with the lawn mower! I have never made a fuss when doing either that's just the way they are. Jasper goes and gets on the sofa out of the way and Holly must think she's helping!

cute pics! I am loving all of your Toby pictures :)

Brooklyn used to be afraid of the vacuum, but then over a few days, I got the vacuum out and covered it with treats. She slowly but surely crept closer and closer...nabbed a treat....then retreated fast! Over the next few days she would linger for a while, then when I got out the vacuum after about a week, she could care less. I did the same exercise when I had it on too. Now when I turn it on, I give her a treat and get on with my business and she just chills out :) I have had to repeat this exercise with lots of stuff (mostly cleaning items like brooms, rakes, dusters...maybe she doesnt want me to clean because she knows she won't get attention when I am busy, ha ha!). But it works great and now there is hardly anything she is scared of.

I too am really enjoying the Toby pictures. I love the way you are documenting his development. Please, keep them coming.cl*p

I too am really enjoying the Toby pictures. I love the way you are documenting his development. Please, keep them coming.cl*p

I second that. Toby is a lovely pup and I am never tired of seeing puppy pictures.

None of mine except Rebel have ever been interested one way or the other in the infernal machines. When Rebel was a few months old he wrecked one in the middle of the night, which I replaced, then exactly a week later he worked even harder on the new one, leaving strips of broken plastic everywhere, but strangely enough he left the paper bag intact.8) I kept the cleaners in a closed cupboard after that, but as he grew up took no notice of them and it has never happened again. Strange:sl*p:

While on the subject, has anyone with a Dyson realised that they have brought out a new grooming tool. This is a slicker brush which attaches to the long handle and hose. You press down to use it as normal, then when it is full of hair, release and the hair all goes into the vacuum. I got mine yesterday and absolutely love it. In the UK both Currys and Comet have it at around £39. I did three of my dogs inn about 6 minutes. They all seemed happy for me to use the attachment on them. Their coats were absolutely gleaming, which would have needed much more brushing in the ordinary way:cool:

Yes, it's good to introduce as many loud and scary things as possible at a young age as they are less able to adapt when they are older. Sounds like you are doing an amazing job with Toby.

Leo was very curious of the hoover to start with, then one day he got to close and I sucked his ear up the extention tube:oops:

He's really wary now. Its great to get them used to things but be careful.
Love photo's by the way.

Good idea. I should try that!
Becky

cute pics! I am loving all of your Toby pictures :)

Brooklyn used to be afraid of the vacuum, but then over a few days, I got the vacuum out and covered it with treats. She slowly but surely crept closer and closer...nabbed a treat....then retreated fast! Over the next few days she would linger for a while, then when I got out the vacuum after about a week, she could care less. I did the same exercise when I had it on too. Now when I turn it on, I give her a treat and get on with my business and she just chills out :) I have had to repeat this exercise with lots of stuff (mostly cleaning items like brooms, rakes, dusters...maybe she doesnt want me to clean because she knows she won't get attention when I am busy, ha ha!). But it works great and now there is hardly anything she is scared of.

I haven't seen the grooming tool. I will have to look for it!

Becky

I second that. Toby is a lovely pup and I am never tired of seeing puppy pictures.

None of mine except Rebel have ever been interested one way or the other in the infernal machines. When Rebel was a few months old he wrecked one in the middle of the night, which I replaced, then exactly a week later he worked even harder on the new one, leaving strips of broken plastic everywhere, but strangely enough he left the paper bag intact.8) I kept the cleaners in a closed cupboard after that, but as he grew up took no notice of them and it has never happened again. Strange:sl*p:

While on the subject, has anyone with a Dyson realised that they have brought out a new grooming tool. This is a slicker brush which attaches to the long handle and hose. You press down to use it as normal, then when it is full of hair, release and the hair all goes into the vacuum. I got mine yesterday and absolutely love it. In the UK both Currys and Comet have it at around £39. I did three of my dogs inn about 6 minutes. They all seemed happy for me to use the attachment on them. Their coats were absolutely gleaming, which would have needed much more brushing in the ordinary way:cool:

Sorry I couldn't help but laugh at that :grin: I will definitely be careful :)
Becky

Leo was very curious of the hoover to start with, then one day he got to close and I sucked his ear up the extention tube:oops:

He's really wary now. Its great to get them used to things but be careful.
Love photo's by the way.

I have had Dyson cleaners every since I got my first cavalier 11 years ago, I am now on my third Dyson. Jasper hates the vacuum and runs away when it comes out of the cupboard and Ollie use to run after it when he was a pup but now in the last few months he has more sense, it does`nt bother him, he is quite happy to lay on the floor with me cleaning around him. I had to have a new motor in my Dyson earlier this year after it only being 18 months old and the repair man offered to sell me one of the grooming attachments at a slight reduction in price but it did`nt seem worth it for me.

How adorable! XD XD
Benji is still terrified of the vaccum, he just barks until my mom turns it off. So i usually take him out for a nice long walk when my mom gets the vaccum out. Now when he sees the vaccum he runs off to find his harness and lead. lol

I didn't realise that these were available for the long handle - I had it in my head that they were for the handheld models. I'll have to have a look out - they sound brilliant. Does the grooming tool remove matts by any chance?:roll:

Sooooo typically cute!!!,

Love the photos..... Gracie used to just bark at vacuum but now she likes to follow me around to see if I might accidentally drop an attachment she can grab. We have made it a bit of a game. Fun to watch your Toby exploring new things.

Thanks everyone. I hope that one day he will be afraid of the noise but at least that way he will not ruin my vacuum by trying to chew it LOL More pics to come :):)

I didn't realise that these were available for the long handle - I had it in my head that they were for the handheld models. I'll have to have a look out - they sound brilliant. Does the grooming tool remove matts by any chance?:roll:

Yes the tool fits all but the few named models listed on the top of the box. I am using it with my DC 25 Animal and it works really well. Sorry though, they warn against using it on hair with deep mats or tangles.

Back