• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mild anemia

laram

Hello,

I'm afraid I only seem to post here when Sammy has a problem. And Sammy has yet another problem...

He was getting his annual liver/kidney counts today to make sure his medication for SM are not harming him, and the vet found in passing that he is mildly anemia. Red blood count 5, Hemoglobin 12.2 and HCT 36.6. However, she thought that since he has no other symptoms (his gums are fine, glands fine, eating fine, ok energy, no blood in stools), we can simply check him again in a couple of months.

Anyone had any experience with their Cavalier of mild anemia? I'm probably worrying too much as always...

Laura

Assuming that the normal values are the same as U.S. normals from Antech Labs, I wouldn't be worried about the values that you posted. If you can post the normal values, that would be helpful.

How old is Sammy? Many/most of my middle aged to senior dogs have a low normal or slightly low hematocrit and I don't worry about it when there are no other symptoms and when other blood chemistry and urinalysis values are normal.

Pat

Sammy is 4 yrs old - 5 at the end of September.

The norms as far as I can see are:

Red Blood Cell: 5.5-8.5 (Sammy is at 5)
Hemoglobin 15-20 (Sammy is 12.2)
HCT: 44-57 (Sammy is 36)

Back