• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

KC response re: the publication of MRI results

Margaret C

This has been posted on the Cavalier Club website today.
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

It would be a good idea if the KC and BVA also gets some non-club members opinions as well.
I'll post some names and addresses later today.

My first reaction is to reluctantly agree with this compromise as the results will be publicly available ( if you know or are told where to look )
There has been three and a half years of foot dragging. The Cavalier Breed needs this Scheme to be launched.

KC RESPONSE TO THE CAVALIER KCS CLUB BALLOT OF MEMBERS RE:
PROPOSAL FOR RECORDING & PUBLICATION OF RESULTS BY THE KENNEL CLUB UNDER THE NEW BVA/KC CM/SM SCHEME
The Cavalier Clubs Health Representative has received the following response from the Kennel Club relating to the recent ballot of Cavalier Clubs members on the proposed recording of SM/CM Scheme results.
The KC have asked for further comments from Club Members and if you wish to comment then please WRITE to the CKCS Club Secretary, 18 Churchill Crescent, Thame, Oxon OX9 3JN.
Please note that comments must be in writing and not by email, email comments WILL NOT be accepted.

"I understand that yesterday, the Finance & General Purposes Committee of the KC discussed in depth the issue of publication of results under the BVA/KC CM/SM Scheme and the view of this group was that they were minded to take an intermediate approach with regard to publication;
  • Registration documents should be annotated: BVA/KC CM/SM Scheme: ‘Tested at (age of dog)’ or ‘No result recorded’.
  • A similar list should appear in the Breed Records Supplement.
  • The actual CM and SM grades, which will be recorded on the KC database, should be available on the online health test results finder (HTRF) and those wishing to access these results via the HTRF will also have access to a comprehensive description of what the test result means.
We have been instructed to communicate with the Cavalier breed clubs again with this information, before the matter goes to the General Committee for a decision on the 12th July to further assess the clubs’ reactions and responses.
Therefore I would be grateful if you could communicate this information to the clubs and let me have any feedback.

Regards, Diana
Kennel Club
15 June 2011"

With the research paper being published this week about the high incidence of SM in CKCS, this BVA/KC scheme is desperately needed.

The scheme gives us hope that the EBV will be available sooner as more data will be available to it.

Also, it will be so much better that all the health results are in one place, thus helping buyers find puppies born to fully health tested parents, and helping those looking for healthy partners for breeding.

I hope many will write to the CKCS Club with their comments, and hope these are relayed to the KC. I also hope the KC were also made party to all of the comments from the Cavaliers Clubs polls, those with the ambiguous questions that you could answer YES or NO. Shame the Clubs didn't take the opportunity to ask the question about publication when they had the opportunity.

Also a shame that those members not on the internet still have no idea what is going on, or opportunity to comment.

I find it interesting that the KC wishes a prolonged consultation with the Clubs (20% of puppies), when the Clubs blame the health problems on the non club members (80%). If the Clubs were fully committeed to improving health, they would surely be prepared to accept a scheme that could also positively affect the other 80% ?

Maggie

I hope many will write to the CKCS Club with their comments, and hope these are relayed to the KC. I also hope the KC were also made party to all of the comments from the Cavaliers Clubs polls, those with the ambiguous questions that you could answer YES or NO. Shame the Clubs didn't take the opportunity to ask the question about publication when they had the opportunity.

The Cavalier Club committee is not very likely to take any notice of opinions expressed by non-club members, they certainly will not pass them on, but I do hope that every cavalier owner in the UK that reads this discussion takes time to make their views known directly to the KC.

As a member I will be writing to the Club to say I would prefer full publication and I hope that will come in time, but to prevent any more delay I would accept the latest KC proposal of partial publication.

It is the Cavalier Club that is demanding letters, so if you are a Club member who believes that this latest KC offer is an acceptable compromise, please write to the Secretary.
Let members that are not on the computer know what is happening & ask them to write.

If you are a non-club owner please remind the KC that the majority of cavalier owners should also be listened to.
No need in this case to send a letter but please email [email protected] to say that you feel it is important that results are made available somewhere.

If your Cavalier is KC registered please say that and point out you are as much a Kennel Club customer as any club member.
Speak to other cavalier owners you know and ask them to email as well.

I find it interesting that the KC wishes a prolonged consultation with the Clubs (20% of puppies), when the Clubs blame the health problems on the non club members (80%). If the Clubs were fully committeed to improving health, they would surely be prepared to accept a scheme that could also positively affect the other 80% ?

It also seems unbelievable that the KC does not actively promote the use of the low cost scanning scheme in any of their literature sent out to cavalier breeders and owners.

Also a shame that those members not on the internet still have no idea what is going on, or opportunity to comment.

Maggie

Hopefully all clubs will do a mail out with the latest KC proposal, to account for those members that do not have access to the internet. They pay their full membership fees so should have the same access to information and right of reply that those of us on line do.
All the best
Sue

Hopefully all clubs will do a mail out with the latest KC proposal, to account for those members that do not have access to the internet. They pay their full membership fees so should have the same access to information and right of reply that those of us on line do.
All the best
Sue

Sue
Doesn't look as though there will be time, the next meeting at the KC is on 12 July. One wonders why it has taken almost a month from the end of May (when the BVA and the KC met ) to nearly the end of June, to invite further comments that are needed for another meeting in a fortnights time ? And further delay in posting comments, rather than emailing ?

I also thought there was another CKCS Clubs Liaison meeting on July 2nd. What use are Club members' comments if they can't be discussed at a meeting of all the Clubs?icon_nwunsure

So if you intend to comment on the latest proposal, do it quickly !!
Maggie

My letter will go off in the morning. It will closely follow the endorsement I made on the Midland Club's voting form, when I said:

Make it illegal to breed from any dog or bitch who has not been MRI scanned.

Publish all results and also endorse them on the pup's Registration Certificate

Publish all results in the Breed Records Supplement

Make all MRI data obtained available to bona fide research programmes without needing the consent of the owner

Scanning is neither foolproof or ideal but it is all we have to help erradicate this disease.

Sue
Doesn't look as though there will be time, the next meeting at the KC is on 12 July. One wonders why it has taken almost a month from the end of May (when the BVA and the KC met ) to nearly the end of June, to invite further comments that are needed for another meeting in a fortnights time ? And further delay in posting comments, rather than emailing ?

I also thought there was another CKCS Clubs Liaison meeting on July 2nd. What use are Club members' comments if they can't be discussed at a meeting of all the Clubs?icon_nwunsure

Maggie

The letter is dated 15th June but did not go onto the Club website until the 24th. Nine days wasted there.

Sue

Maggie

Already sent Maggie LOL. It would be a lot of work but could still be done by all the clubs if they were determined to keep all the membership informed and give them the right to reply!
All the best
Sue

Back