• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Obtaining Insurance

DSB Cavs

My female Cav, Sasha supposedly has IVDD so I am investigating insurance for my male Basil. Does anyone have experience with obtaining insurance from ASPCA in the US? I am looking at the level 4 plan which includes an annual dental cleaning. It is $94 per month. The sample policy states that hereditary, genetic and congenital disorders are not covered. In 2010 I spent $1800 on vet bills. Year to date I've spent $1,475. The annual premium for Basil would be $1,128. I'm just trying to figure out it obtaining insurance makes sense. Any advice about how to go about making this decision would be greatly appreciated!

Just in my experience the plans that cover routine vet care are WAY over priced... I'm paying $35- $40 a month to have 90% of my Cavalier vet bills covered and $0 deductible. BUT it excludes office visits fees & routine work... I know with what my vet charges me I figured I pay about $200 a year per dog on "routine" care at her office. Sometimes even less. My vets office visits run between $29 & $39 depending on the reason I'm there. Most other things have been covered by there insurance... but that is just me I know different vets charge different fees. I also buy my flea & tick & heartworm preventions online at a much cheaper fee. The insurance I have covers genetic conditions such as SM & MVD. If it doesn't cover those conditions I wouldn't even consider it. My insurance has reimbursed us over $8,000 in the last year for 3 dogs.

I think it's really a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll pay more premium than you will ever collect OR if you'll have a huge claim and will recover far more than you've paid in premiums.

I've had multiple pets for 30 years, and I'd never insured them. But I enrolled my 8 year old in PetPlan two years ago (let it lapse a few months because I was so angry about the high % premium increase but then picked it back up again before his MRI which was done for research purposes) and I enrolled my rescue girl (3-4 yrs old?) as soon as I adopted her off the street. Thus far I've paid premium for a couple of years and made ZERO claims. The only preexisting condition for both dogs is mild luxated patella - neither will ever require surgery. Their coverage does not cover routine and I only purchased it for catastrophic - esp. as I move into my older years where my disposable income will become less. So I'm paying the premium on top of my regular vet bills - routine blood chemistry, yearly dentals, etc.

Every month I think I should drop insurance when I think about what I could do with that premium money.........but I keep paying it because of fear. I have spent over $5,000 in a short time on a past dog for cancer treatment, and I've had a couple of teenaged dogs need short term hospitalization for kidney failure and spent a couple thousand on each of those. I just don't want to have to face a decision of putting my dog down because I'm not able to hospitalize him/her. Such a frustrating subject - I've paid homeowner's insurance for 30 years - probably $30,000 in premiums - and I've never made a claim there either.

Pat

I think that Shannon has Trupanion. I have PetPlan. Both pay for inherited breed problems including SM and MVD.

Pat

Actually, check out the sticky at the top of this forum called "insurance" and read that post. There is a link to a good article by a vet comparing insurance companies. The websites often are very good and not easily revealing the "gotchas" so I wouldn't rely on just the insurance company websites.

Pat

I have the Cavs under Trupanion but I recently put my German Shepard under Pet Plan. Mainly because she was cheaper there. So far happy with Trupanion. Have not filed a claim with Pet Plan yet but I am happy with the policy.

I have not had a premium increase .......yet... I would probably FREAK if they did that. I heard that in Canada the premiums went way up but have not had an issue as of now.

Pet Plan increases with age but at least they tell you how much & when.

Back