Thread: Should I get a second cavalier?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I get a second cavalier?

I would love to hear people's opinions and experiences with this, as I keep getting puppy fever but rationalizing it away. My first Cavalier is Sammy. He's almost 5 years old, very sweet and LOVES people. He's quite sickly unfortunately, with SM, spondolysis, anal gland problems, and now an unexplained case of anemia. He likes to greet other dogs but then gets a bit grumpy when interacting with them. His tale goes between his legs, which seems to invite other dogs to pick on him, and then he tells them off and runs away. He gets especially stressed over his food and treats and will get very upset if another animal is around while he's being fed. He does have a best friend Laphund however whom he met as a little puppy and whom he ADORES. But she's amazingly gentle with him and spends all her time licking his head.

I do feel that Sammy is a bit bored and depressed sometimes. I live alone, so when I'm at work, he spends 8hr per day alone (4 days a week), which I feel very guilty about. Though he gets at least a 30min walk every day, he's not a big walker and will actually dig his heels into the ground after two minutes if he doesn't like the weather. I thought maybe a new friend might give him some enthusiasm again for something other than food and being cuddled.

Finally, I do travel a few weeks out of every year and finding someone to take care of Sammy can be difficult. I know I'd be complicating things even further by adding another one.

BUT I have puppy fever!!! And I feel like Sammy has been a lone wolf too long...
    Laura

& Samwise (7 year old ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know that Sammy would like a friend. Puppies can be rambunctious and jump on older dogs, which Sammy would probably find distressing and painful.

I added a second dog earlier this year. I had planned to baby gate rooms so that my older dog would have relief from the puppy if he found her overwhelming. 12 week old puppies can climb baby gates. My puppy wanted so badly to be with another dog (after leaving her litter) that she would do anything to be near Guinness. He eventually got over his initial dislike of having to share his house, and now they are great friends. But he is healthy, I wouldn't put a dog with health problems through that.

Have you considered getting an adult cavalier, rather than a puppy.

Post Thanks / Like

About a year ago now we added a second addition to our family, an 8 week old puppy to our then 10 year old cavalier and it was such a difficult decision to make. Jasper our now 11 year old has MVD but medication controls his problems very well at the moment, in fact getting our younger cavalier has brought a spark back into his life as he did sleep a lot and they now get on very well and both rely on each other in certain ways, they probably still do get on better outside in the garden, but sometimes they can be found lying in the same chair together, they do have different personalities, the younger one loves everything and everybody, while my older one now is more timid with people and does seem to prefer to be with smaller dogs.

I am not in the same position as you work wise as I only work part time, and did actually have extra time at home with the puppy last year as I work within a school so had school holidays off and was able to supervise them both and my youngest one has been crate trained and is still happy to use it now - we never used a crate on our older dog, we got a baby gate so we could seperate for feeding times, which I still use now and life for our oldest did`nt really change too much other than having this puppy swinging around him, but I supervised this very closely, Jasper still sleeps in our room at night and in all life has worked out very well with two dogs.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

From the sound of all Sammy's problems, I feel that a puppy would be far too much for him to cope with. And if you are at work for so many hours of the day, what will happen to the puppy? It's almost impossible to give a puppy all the care and training it needs if you are just not there most of the time.

Could you consider getting someone to come in and break up Sammy's day instead? You would probably find that he really benefits from having a little extra attention.

Please think carefully, and read all Karlin's threads about buying puppies and what they need.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I certainly agree that it would be a nightmare trying to train a puppy when you are out for 8 hours - it would not be fair to the pup or to you - and TBH, responsible breeders do not sell puppies to people who are out that long

I appreciative you feel the need for Sammy to have a companion, but with his health issues and obviously not a great fondness for other dogs anyway, I think it might make his life harder.

Like Marie-Anne, I think that it would be much better to have someone come in to Sammy, human company would be preferable for him - not necessarily to walk him, just to sit with him and to let him out - 8 hours is an awfully long time to go without a toilet break.

Your vets can often recommend someone - or there may be someone near you, perhaps an older person who cannot manage a dog on their own but would love the company. They could also keep an eye on him a bit with regards to his health issues.

There are those toys now that you play with the dog, that can add an extra bit of stimulation - the Nina Ottosson toys. Also I strongly recommend the Brain Games book for more ideas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Games-...9076412&sr=8-1

Tania's Molly features in the book

I do hope you can come up with a solution - I know we all get broody for a puppy from time to time.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I get a second cavalier?

No.