• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Apart From Kibble What Other Healthy Items Do You Feed

Brian M

Hi

Its interesting to hear what other healthy goodies from around the world our members feed to their Cavaliers
either as part of their main Meals or Treats .

What Veggies do you give .
What Fruit do you give .
What Meat do you give.

What a great/fun thread Brian! I am excited to hear what everyone says (and you have to reply to your own post too!)

What Veggies do you give - Dried sweet potato, frozen carrot sticks (she only likes these in summer), I tired the stocks of broccoli...but like her dad, it made her nose turn. Ha!
What Fruit do you give - Apples, don't know of anything else you can give...would be happy to hear! Though, we have a fig tree out back that produces thousands of little fruits, and no matter how much I sweep, Brooklyn eats a lot of figs that fall off! The vet said it won't hurt her at all...just that it will keep her, well, "regular". ha ha.
What Meat do you give - I don't really give meat. Maybe a chicken neck here and there...I tried a chicken wing, but got so scared the whole time because she just swallowed it. I don't think I could ever do it again...she was lucky she swallowed it the right way and that it didn't get stuck. Excited to hear what others do though. Oh, I give her some roast chicken sometimes for training :)

Oh boy no kibble here but lamb chicken beef porkxhops brocolli red beans chickpeas sprouts carrots green beans (she hates those) potatoes, macaroni, rice. And shell even eat cornichons when those fall on the floor haha. bananas (loves!) apple strawberry pear mango blueberrys in the summer , and she eats the mulberrys of the tree in the park. She also eats hazelnuts cashews and cereal (kashi brand).also empty cups a yoghurt to lick clean and cheese, she prefers trufflecheese. :). And them ofcourse there is the occasional piece of salmon sashimi. Njum.

Good questions....Love this

Gracie gets raw diet so no kibble, but she sometimes gets very tiny bits of apple (no peel or seeds), blueberries, carrot or green peas. Her favorites for a treat is minced apple and carrot. She sometimes gets freeze-dried raw lamb as a treat.

Belle loves all sorts of veggies, especially carrot sticks and brocolli. Bobby is not too keen on his greens, but he enjoys carrots as well. As for fruits, the fruit of the moment is strawberry and of course the all round apple wins them over every time. They love their meat, of course, and we give them little scrap cut off bits of turkey (they go wild for it, like the Bumpus' dogs from A Christmas Story), then there is chicken and a bit of beef too. Yum yum.:jmp:

Very interesting thread that's giving me lots of information! I've never intentionally given Bentley fruit, although I think the hubby "accidentally" dropped a strawberry once. I'll be trying apple now. The vet told me early on to give him a baby carrot rather than table food. He's OK with that but whatever he thinks WE'RE eating is what he wants. I've learned to pull his feeding dish over beside my chair at breakfast & dinner and presumably he thinks he's one of us. I heard elsewhere that broccoli was fine for him so I've been using a few pieces of frozen, chopped broccoli, sprinkled on top of his kibble. Then he cleans everything up. I found out by accident that he loves raw, fresh green beans. I was sitting down snapping the beans from our garden in preparation for canning when suddenly he jumped up, grabbed about 6 beans and chowed down. There were no ill effects but I would not normally give him that much. Sometimes if he's particularly stubborn about eating his kibble I'll mix a couple tiny pieces of cooked beef, chicken or even boneless fish. Again, he cleans everything up.

Coco's veggies of choice are carrots, broccoli, and sweet potatos.

Fruits are apples and bananas! I haven't tried any other fruits yet.

Besides her regular food (jerky dried venison and lamb) Ziwi Peak, she really loves rabbit!

No kibble here, Polly is on a raw diet. She is incredibly fussy when it comes to food. She dramactically spits out almost everything. I buy all premade raw in a few different brands. On of the brands is strictly meat, bones and organs (Bravo) and the other brand has several fruits, veggies, etc blended in (Primal brand..listed ingredients below). Most of her treats are meat based, like chicken jerky and beef marrow bones. She will not eat any fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc. Refuses to touch them.:rolleyes: Only way I can get them in her is if its ground into the food. She does like peanut butter..I hide her vitamin pills in it.

Primal Raw frozen in "turkey and sardine" blend

Ingredients:
Turkey Necks, Turkey Wings, Whole Sardines, Turkey Hearts, Turkey Livers, Organic Collard Greens, Organic Squash, Organic Celery, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Almonds, Organic Cilantro, Organic Ginger, Organic Coconut Oil, Alfalfa, Spirulina, Mixed Tocopherols (source of vitamin E

Chicken frames, necks, Turkey necks, heart, liver, kidney, raw beef and chicken, beef soup bones big ones and marrow bones also big. They had kangaroo tails but it didn't go down well neither did lamb necks they enjoyed it but Holly was sick after it. Freash raw sardines and pilchards, tinned sardines and mackerel in oil they love that with grated carrot. Mixed with omega 3 oil yogurt and oat bran and multi vitamin.Veggies they love carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, peas and corn but I'm not sure on the benefit of them because they come out as they went in. Lol. Pumpkin, sweet potato. I dehydrate these too. Basically whatever veg we have and they are allowed they will have.Fruit they have strawberries, seedless watermelon which they love. Rock and honeydew melon. Pawpaw, mango, apple, banana, blueberry. Only small amounts.Leftover food that is suitable for them.

The minute my dogs hear me breaking a banana off the bunch they come running into the kitchen. They love bananas. I also give them baby carrots and they go bonkers for frozen green beans. I have to share my apples with them too. They try to steal the ends of loafs of bread that go into the bird cage. Harley helps himself to anything left unattended on the dining room table.:mad: Hubbie thought Sapphire was just snugging up to him when he was eating a take out dinner from a local restaurant. Turns out she was nibbling on his taco! :shock:

J.

I grew sugar snap peas a few years ago, pulled one off the bush and gave to Chelsea. Later that week I looked out and saw her helping herself, that gave me a laugh. So she still gets them, they also like carrots, zucchini, apples, pears, strawberries, pitted cherries. At the farmers market I also get them organic home made dog biscuts and liver treats. Sometimes, will cook an extra chicken breast or thigh (boned) if I get a large package.

I probably give them something else, but thats all I can remember now. looking forward to others responses.

Mine get all kinds of stuff! Dinner time is always interesting. I try to mix it up so they get different things each night.

There favorite veggies are cold carrots. Sometimes I give them a whole carrot instead of a dog chew bone. They get lots of fresh Kale, Mustard, Collard greens, green beans & zucchini because I use those for my reptiles. Since I started feeding them little bits of greens for dinner I have started finding them in the tortoise pen "sharing" the greens. None of mine like broccoli though. They will take it and then drop it giving me the funniest "ewww" look. I do share sweet potatos with them whenever I cook them for us.

They get little bits of fresh strawberries, bananas & apples as treats. Have not tried any other fruits.

There most resent "new food" is fresh goats milk! There really love it. I just started giving it to them 2 X a week over the last month. I got the idea because I had just milked the goats, turned my back for just a second.... Turn around again and Holly had her whole head in the milk bucket. When she looked up her ears & nose were dripping milk! Now I know why she always sat right next to me at milking time! Little sneak! :lol:

They also get a raw egg once a week.

I crumble unfrosted mini wheat's over there dry kibble. They get that every night (No more butt scooting since I started adding it!)

They also get a spoonful of plain yogurt at every meal.

I don't do any extra "meat" since I mainly feed different kibble from Natures Variety Instinct line. They are made from 70% animal ingredients... Plus I mix up all the varieties (Rabbit, Salmon, Duck, Turkey, Beef, Chicken). They sure don't complain!

Back