• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Meet Wills, my rescued English Toy Spaniel. Adopting a Cavalier next! :)

taoofjord

I met Wills, my wonderful new addition to the family, 9 days ago on a saturday afternoon when PAW rescue was having an event at the local pet store. He quickly melted my heart, and even though I've been spending a long time looking for just the right cavalier (and/or just the right breeder) I filled out the adoption form that night and turned it in the next day.

Wills is absolutely one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met (for my money, he IS the sweetest :eek:). He is gentle and affectionate. Having spent the first two(-ish) years of his life in a puppy mill has left him with very few quirks and anxieties. He's extremely social and trusting of people, wanting nothing more than for someone near him to sit down so he can crawl into your lap (and stay there until you have to get up). He's also a cuddler extraordinaire! He lays right next to you in bed, pushing his back up against you and, if possible, resting his head on your arm or leg. He's smart, too, picking up the clicker and the basic commands much faster than I expected.

Wills loves small stuffed animals as you can see in the picture below. He loves taking a few from his toy box and bringing them to his bed when he naps. And most fortunately, he does my favorite thing dogs can do, the bobble head! :)

To my surprise, he is actually quite playful with other dogs. At first he's a little anxious (and protective of me, or his bone) but he warms up quickly. I think with some proper socialization and positive reinforcement this will be minimized in the near future.

I just took him to his check-up this morning and unfortunately his teeth are, as stated by the odd vet I went to, "horrible". He's going to need a cleaning and some teeth pulled, he's already missing a few. Also, both his back legs have luxating patellas (grade 2 and 3). The vet said that with some good exercise I may be able to postpone the surgery for about two years.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with him! And I look forward to the day when I can bring a second dog (cavalier) into the home so he can have another dog to play with.

If anyone has some tips on how to get your dog to stop eating dog poop off the ground, that would be helpful. It's something I assume he picked up at the puppy mill.

Thanks again, everyone, for being so fantastic and helpful! And now, some pictures!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Last edited:
What a doll he is!!!

he is sooooo lucky to have you to take care of him! wanna just give him lots of kisses. And I love the name!!!

Oh I just LOVE Willis!! How cute is he. Congrats on bringing him home and it sounds like you have a lot of good information in front of you to help him the best that you can. Off to a good start!

Oh, he is lovely :wggle:
I was sure he was a cavalier and had to google english toy spaniel to see that he is a king charles spaniel! Are his markings called 'prince charles?'

Wills is gorgeous, what a lovely chap, I can see why you fell in love with him :D

I suggest you perhaps read Karlin's post about Patellas here

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?9176-Luxating-patellas&highlight=patella+surgery

From my own research, if a dog has luxating patella grade 3 or worse and surgery is not performed early in the condition, while the dog is young, the dog will develop premature arthritis from the wear and tear from the knee cap movement.

Susan, black and tan markings are known as "King Charles", while "Prince Charles" is tricoloured (y)

Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate the advice in this thread and through PM's on what to do about his knees. I'm confident that he'll see not only an increase in strength but an increase in energy too as I continue taking him on walks. The foster parents said they didn't take him on many walks so this is a brand new thing for him. He's really enjoying them so far. He's constantly looking around and sniffing things, but still just as easy going as ever.

Here's a picture my girlfriend took last night of him and I. We were watching an episode of Game of Thrones on the comfy reclining couch and decided to put his beanbag bed in the middle of us. He kinda rolled half off of it and onto me. If you look closely you can even see him using his stuffed mouse a pillow. :)

New Picture

Back