• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Your Cavalier Happy - How DO You Know ?

Mine smiles at me lol
tessnose.jpg

No, seriously, Tess is very expressive in mannerism and tail wagging. When she is unhappy, her ears drop and she mopes and sulks..I think you get to know your own dogs' mannerisms in time.

I think you can tell when dogs are not feeling secure and safe.

I'm not sure that dogs understand the emotion that comes with being 'happy' but the tail wagging and smiling faces and rested nature of a dog says to me that they are calm and at peace with their life!

I know when mine are happy or not so happy the same as they pick up on my emotions. If I am sad my dogs know and come to comfort me, if I am at a competition with Harley and I am on edge he knows about it and won’t work as well as if I am relaxed.

Hi

Any thoughts please .?:)

Brian,

I highly doubt by the photos of Daisy's expressions that she is not happy. Why do you ask this? Do you think one of yours may not be. Sometimes they may not be happy because they are in pain. I think I sent you that flyer that is on my friends blog that I added to mine :p because I thought it was helpful. http://secure.aahanet.org/eWeb/images/Trends/PDFs/DogHandout.pdf If it is pain, that is why you look for these signs and manage them. With Ella there were good days and some bad days (which I had to adjust etc.). If she was not happy or not able to be managed that would be another story. I think I posted this video but you can see how happy she is. Sure she may have not been able to run as long as the others, but she sure was happy to be there!

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/anniemacmac/?action=view&current=VID_20110109_144251.mp4

or this one,

PS. The one on Photobucket is my favorite but I can't download it to Youtube.

If you watch videos make sure to mute them! Not only do I hate my voice but it is really load

Hello Annie

How are you ,fine I hope and theres nothing wrong with your voice its lovely .My four are all Fine as
I always ask them before I tuck them all up in bed and they all reply OK dad.:)
Thers no reason I asked I just like to hear what people think ,do and feed and anything else that
comes into my head as I find with all our great members its a very interesting way to learn and
I am always amazed at some of the wonderful things folks on here do for their beloved Cavaliers,
and I am always picking up new tips every day .I often hear or read things about human/animal
life in general and then spin it so it realates to our Cavaliers then I ask away .
Stay safe and happy Annie you are a smashing girl and its always nice to read or hear from you .
Your Best Mates
brian and
Pops ,Dangerous Daisy ,Rosie and Little Lil:)
Ps My favourite questions are always what members feed their Cavs ,I learn a lot .
Pps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hse86RueU78&feature=player_embedded

So many little things...and each dog a bit different

Besides her waggy tail, Gracie makes a little grunting sound when she is most happy....it is one of my favorite sounds to hear. It is just a few grunts that we hear when she wakes up to find us near her or when one of us picks her up and cuddles her.

Most of the time, I look for clues in her eyes. Like Robbieswan said, Gracie makes it clear when she is upset with us. She furrows her brow and makes a "hrrumph!" sound... or will go to her bed, stomp on it and turn her back to us. These incidents happen when we won't let her do something she wants to do..... like eat a frog.icon_whistling

She is curled up on my lap now and making the cutest sounds... little sighs as she nestles in.

This is a great question because I often worry about if mine are happy. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I guess that wagging tails and a contented rested nature are good signs. Sulking and whining are bad signs. I've been very busy lately and so has my husband, our little girl is getting more involved with her friends outside the home and Belle and Bobby have a bit less attention lately. They seem to lay around and wait (or sulk)-- at least it feels like it. I'm glad they have each other, but they do look to their humans for a lot than they get from one another! Poor dogs, no matter how much you make their life great, I always feel that they do wait for us--- to come home from work, to get out of bed, to finish dinner, to come home, etc.
Dogs are easy to please though, a nice treat and a few belly rubs makes them happy! I've rambled a bit, but hoping this has answered your question.:)

I always know if murphy is happy. He will sit or stand and wag his tail soo much. If hes sad he will mope on the floor with his head down and look up to you as if to say "mummy im sad"...I love seeing him wagging his tail, makes my day , every day :)

I can tell when Martha is happy because she smiles, and when she's having a great time she laughs!

When she smiles the muscles round her nose and eyes change very very slightly as if she's copying our expression. I can't really explain it except her nose seems to wrinkle a bit and round her eyes definitely goes into smiley mode.

Whens she's laughing her whole face changes her mouth is open and her eyes almost seem to be singing!!! and are so full of intelligence and excitement.
:jmp2:
None doggy people will say it's nonsense but it isn't, we can read their moods just as they can read ours; and just as people on this forum have said they know when their SM affected cavalier is feeling uncomfortable, or in pain, their face is drawn and their eyes say it all.:(

None doggy people will say it's nonsense but it isn't, we can read their moods just as they can read ours; and just as people on this forum have said they know when their SM affected cavalier is feeling uncomfortable, or in pain, their face is drawn and their eyes say it all.:(

Exactly!!!

Coco wiggles, dances, and smiles when she is happy. It is so cute, she cannot wag her tail fast enough so her entire back end sways back and forth! She prances around like a deer in a meadow, with wide eyes, alert up-set ears, and a big ol' tongue hangin out of a smiling mouth. Yep, that is what she looks like when she is happy.

When she has been scolded, her head lowers, ears to back, and she crawls to me and rolls on her back. Even then she doesn't look sad, just apologetic.

When she has been scolded, her head lowers, ears to back, and she crawls to me and rolls on her back. Even then she doesn't look sad, just apologetic.

Yep I know just what you mean! They know they can wrap us round their paw so easily because we forgive them straight away. How can anyone be cross with a cavalier for more than a second or two.

They've got us well sussed.:luv:

Yes they do! They may just be the smartest dogs because they know how to use their assets (those beautiful eyes) to make you cave. They so want to please you too though

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I usually put some type of "surprise" at the bottom of their food bowls (cottage cheese, yogurt, etc). This morning, I cut up a hard-boiled egg and hid it under their food. You should have seen their tails start wagging a hundred miles a minute when they realized what was in there! It was so funny to watch them. :) On the same token, when my SM girl is having a bad night, I can tell just by looking at her face and eyes- just as some others of you have mentioned. I think, if we are observant owners and have done a bit of research, we can easily read our dogs' body language.

Back