Thread: Pedigree Dogs Exposed Blog - Amazing Statistics

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree Dogs Exposed Blog - Amazing Statistics

Hi

Have a read below ,good job there isnt a doggy C.S.A.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree dogs dogs exposed -amazing statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Have a read below ,good job there isnt a doggy C.S.A.

http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.com/

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED -AMAZING STATISTICS

Just read it Brian,

The Cavalier Mentioned in the Blog was the Result of Margaret being removed as the UK CKCS CLUB HEALTH Representative.

I really do wonder if some of the Cavalier Breeders who are in Denial about the SM and MVD Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed ,are the ones because of not accepting that those Two Conditions are causing Suffering to our Cavaliers,those Cavalier Breeders are responsible for the Mess the Cavalier Breed is in now Health Wise.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bet those breeders do not produce so many Cavaliers a year that you can entirely blame all the breed's health problems upon them

They should be setting an example by following guidelines and breeding for health, but the majority of puppy farmers and BYB do no health testing at all, and their dogs are kept in disgusting conditions and not looked after properly either.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree dogs exposed blog-amazing statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Bet those breeders do not produce so many Cavaliers a year that you can entirely blame all the breed's health problems upon them

They should be setting an example by following guidelines and breeding for health, but the majority of puppy farmers and BYB do no health testing at all, and their dogs are kept in disgusting conditions and not looked after properly either.

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED BLOG- AMAZING STATISTICS

I do think that those Cavalier Breeders who have been Breeding Cavaliers for 30-40 years ,and were warned by Dr P. Darke , the UK Club's Cardiologist in 1983 after he had carried Heart Surveys at Cavalier Club Shows about how wide-spread the MVD Problem was in our Cavalier Breed and the UK Club issued Breeding Guidelines in 1987 for MVD ,so yes I do believe that those Cavalier Breeders have a lot to answer for the Serious MVD Problem in Cavaliers to-day,since the Researchers into MVD have said that nearly all Cavaliers could be Carriers of the MVD Gene/Genes to-day.

This is another thought I have mentioned on the List ,I hate Puppy Farms, but the Fresh Genes have got to come from some-where for the CM problem in our Cavaliers because it's been said that around 90% have CM ,which is Chacterized with Brains too Big for the Skulls, and this can stop the Flow of the Cerebro Spinal Fluid causing Syrinxes leading to SM ,so will some of those Cavaliers from Puppy Farms have those Fresh Genes,it will either have to be that or Out-Crossing Cavaliers if the Cavaliers can survive.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

What I did find worrying was the extent that some top show dogs (in all breeds ) have been used at stud and
    the resultant effect of making some gene pools even smaller because of the great use of a particular
    dog .And of course then with the spread of any defective issues if that paricular dog was a carrier
    of any genetic problems .So I do think that these top show stud dogs should be limited on the number
    of times they can be used and then of course only used if they comply and prove they conform to
    all the necessary health testing criteria.

I neither breed nor show so am unaware of the rules and regulations ,so why are some top winning show
    dogs used to such a great extent is it pure greed by the breeder or an attempt to get their particular
    kennel dominant or just plain kudos for themselves. I cannot think of one single reason why that particular
    Cavalier was used after it was proven it had SM nor why The Kennel Club registered these litters ,but this is
    I suppose old ground that has been raked over many times before but its still extremely nauseating .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bet,
    I don't wish to go over old ground again,but this idea that puppy farmed or dogs who are not bred from show stock are somehow healthier than show lines really needs to be addressed.
    I have looked hard and honestly found no evidence to support that idea.Commercial breeders are producing D and Es...as well as As and any A that I'm aware of is still accompanied by malformation and herniation.
    Now,back to Brian's initial post about a link he saw on the PDE Blogspot.
    It's about an update to the mateselect program where it's possible to use the healthfinder section to check what tests have been carried out on a dog.You can now query the tests done on a dog's parents,siblings and offspring if a test has been done under the BVA/KC scheme.As you can see it can give you the info on Eye testing regarding affected status for juvenile cataract as I understand it.It will also tell you how many litters and how many puppies a dog has sired or a bitch produced.
    You can imagine the potential this database has when the SM and Heart schemes come online for breeders to factor in health considerations into their breeding programme...or to allow a breeder to see how many times a stud dog has been used and decide if they want to follow the popular mainstream choices.
    Because this is the way forward...NOT trawling through puppy farms for needles in haystacks,but equipping progressive breeders who want a strong future for the cavalier breed to tackle a very difficult job.
    In order to do the job properly I think what's needed is to allow the foundations to be put down to allow sensible breeding decisions to be made,without pressure or censure.
    The breeders who own the dogs should be given access to all the data freely,but the decisions regarding matings have to be left to the breeders themselves.
    There are no quick and easy fixes and we all need patience to see improvements.
    Let's just see what the future holds,hopefully a more bright and healthier one.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree dogs exposed -blog -amazining statistics

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Hi Bet,
    I don't wish to go over old ground again,but this idea that puppy farmed or dogs who are not bred from show stock are somehow healthier than show lines really needs to be addressed.
    I have looked hard and honestly found no evidence to support that idea.Commercial breeders are producing D and Es...as well as As and any A that I'm aware of is still accompanied by malformation and herniation.
    It's about an update to the mateselect program where it's possible to use the healthfinder section to check what tests have been carried out on a dog.You can now query the tests done on a dog's parents,siblings and offspring if a test has been done under the BVA/KC scheme.As you can see it can give you the info on Eye testing regarding affected status for juvenile cataract as I understand it.It will also tell you how many litters and how many puppies a dog has sired or a bitch produced.
    You can imagine the potential this database has when the SM and Heart schemes come online for breeders to factor in health considerations into their breeding programme...or to allow a breeder to see how many times a stud dog has been used and decide if they want to follow the popular mainstream choices.
    Because this is the way forward...NOT trawling through puppy farms for needles in haystacks,but equipping progressive breeders who want a strong future for the cavalier breed to tackle a very difficult job.
    In order to do the job properly I think what's needed is to allow the foundations to be put down to allow sensible breeding decisions to be made,without pressure or censure.
    The breeders who own the dogs should be given access to all the data freely,but the decisions regarding matings have to be left to the breeders themselves.
    Sins

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED BLOG- AMAZINING STATISTICS

The Mention of Out Crossing Cavaliers on this List has been mentioned by Others as has been said by the Kennel Club.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pedigree dogs exposed blog-amazing statistics

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Hi Bet,
    Sins

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED BLOG-AMAZING STATISTICS

Please tell me how can the Foundations be put down to allow Sensible Cavalier Breeding Decisions to be made.

It has been mentioned that around 90% of Cavaliers have CM ,therefor there can be very few Cavaliers who are not Carriers of the CM Gene/Genes.

So if so many Cavaliers are either Afflicted or Carriers of the CM Gene/Genes, then by using those Cavaliers the CM problem won't improve in anyway ,

How can it?

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    ... This is another thought I have mentioned on the List ,I hate Puppy Farms, but ... so will some of those Cavaliers from Puppy Farms have those Fresh Genes, ...
    Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be fair: the breed is in such a dire situation that bringing in dogs from outside show breeder circles is almost certainly going to eventually be needed. Not all of these are 'puppy farm' dogs, and Bet, it would help not to keep referring to them as such. I know a couple of breeders who register their dogs, breed primarily for the pet market and are far more involved in health testing and supporting research than, say, a lot of people on various breed club committees, including the so-called health representatives.

While there's no evidence that any majprity of dogs bred outside show circles are healthier, neurologists say they do not scan more frequently with SM than breeder dogs, and there's certainly plenty of evidence that there are those who scan A and also have good hearts, and do not have all the usual dogs in their immediate pedigrees, and have more varied genetic background, which suggests there are a lot of potentially useful and valuable dogs outside show circles that may be important for any breed recovery effort.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com