Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Its about that time..fireworks!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Its about that time..fireworks!

    So Toby will be 10 weeks in 2 days. I am noticing he gets scared with banging noises. Our neighbor was hammering last night and Toby did not like the banging and every time we would get him outside he would run back in. So I am sure that when the 4th of July comes (around here it happens a few days before and after too) he will be scared to death.
    Our Pekingese started out ok with fireworks but grew too sensitive to handle it. He would shake for what seemed like HRS and HRS. He would hide under the bed and try to get into things like the luggage and such. We finally had to put him on Valium pills during this time. It was the only way to calm him down.
    I am worried that Toby will end up this same way if we cannot get him used to the noise. Not to mention we live not far from an Army base and they have to practice shooting, we hear the noise from time to time.
    How do you get your dog used to the fireworks?
    Becky

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi,
    I know its hard but when there is a loud band such as a firework you mustn't react. Dont try and comfort him or cuddle him as he'll see this that there is something to worry about. Just carry on as if nothing has happened.
    If you totally ignore the sound hopefully you'll find he will eventually do the same.
    We used to tutn the telly up abit louder too.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you. I will try that.
    Also do you suggest that we stay home in the house or can we go see a fireworks display?
    This is sad to say that last year was the first time since my daughter was in 1st grade that we were able to do our own fireworks. She is 21 now. She does not remember ever holding fireworks or setting them off and watching them. I know its shocking Our Peke was so scared that we could not go anywhere or do our own fireworks. We spent the whole night trying to calm him down
    Becky



    Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post
    Hi,
    I know its hard but when there is a loud band such as a firework you mustn't react. Dont try and comfort him or cuddle him as he'll see this that there is something to worry about. Just carry on as if nothing has happened.
    If you totally ignore the sound hopefully you'll find he will eventually do the same.
    We used to tutn the telly up abit louder too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamefanz View Post
    So Toby will be 10 weeks in 2 days. I am noticing he gets scared with banging noises. Our neighbor was hammering last night and Toby did not like the banging and every time we would get him outside he would run back in. So I am sure that when the 4th of July comes (around here it happens a few days before and after too) he will be scared to death.
    Our Pekingese started out ok with fireworks but grew too sensitive to handle it. He would shake for what seemed like HRS and HRS. He would hide under the bed and try to get into things like the luggage and such. We finally had to put him on Valium pills during this time. It was the only way to calm him down.
    I am worried that Toby will end up this same way if we cannot get him used to the noise. Not to mention we live not far from an Army base and they have to practice shooting, we hear the noise from time to time.
    How do you get your dog used to the fireworks?
    Becky
    We made it normal, when there are fireworks we go went out with Luka and he is just used to them. We will do the same with Atlas!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    LOL I think we posted at the same time. I would love to see fireworks that is not on tv and not muted. Our only issue is he is not fully vaccinated yet
    Becky


    Quote Originally Posted by goda View Post
    We made it normal, when there are fireworks we go went out with Luka and he is just used to them. We will do the same with Atlas!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI USA
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I got Nina when she was 7, and already she was petrified of thunder and fireworks. I don't think that she will ever learn to love either one. but I got her a Thunder Shirt almost a year ago....sadly after the 4th of July last year....It is unbeliveable the big differance it makes when she is wearing it. She can now lay in her bed peacefully with the noise.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_73yvqnn5xb_e
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    WOW I've never seen anything like that! Gosh I wish we would've had that for our Peke. He had such a rough time. I'll bookmark that and see how it goes this year.
    Thank you!
    Becky



    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I got Nina when she was 7, and already she was petrified of thunder and fireworks. I don't think that she will ever learn to love either one. but I got her a Thunder Shirt almost a year ago....sadly after the 4th of July last year....It is unbeliveable the big differance it makes when she is wearing it. She can now lay in her bed peacefully with the noise.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_73yvqnn5xb_e

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would think twice about taking your dog to an actual firework display unless you are sure he is going to be totally OK with them - and that you don't know yet. It's not only the noise but the smell that upsets dogs. I would be with him at home for this first year - not making a fuss of him but reassuring him by your indifference that there's nothing to worry about. My Oliver is fine, and Aled takes his lead from his big brother, but a lot of people find DAP diffusers and collars helpful. The first year I had Oliver I wasn't sure how he would react (he was bred in rural Yorkshire), so every time there was a really big bang outside I got all excited 'Wow! That was a big one - I think that one deserves a treat!' and called him over for a treat. After a few times, he was running to me of his own accord, not at all worried and clearly saying 'I'm sure that one was worth a treat!' He now regards our Guy Fawkes Night as a great night when the treats flow freely!

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Such interesting products you all are suggesting. I've never seen any of these!
    You have a great idea with the treats. I must try that!
    We agreed last night that we will stay home this year to see how it goes. We have new neighbors around us and I'm unsure if they will set off fireworks. That was our biggest problem with our Peke. It wasn't the big displays that lasted 30 min., it was the fireworks set off in our neighborhood that was the worst. They set them off at all hrs for a few days.
    Thank you for the ideas.
    Becky

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DAP products reproduce the pheremones produced by mother dogs, so dogs find them very reassuring and calming. A diffuser is simply plugged into the home electricity supply; it's recommended that you have it on for a few days before the fireworks start. The important thing with the treat idea is to react immediately after a bang, so that the noise actually becomes the trigger for the treat.

    Hope you all enjoy your Independence Day!

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •