Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its about that time..fireworks!

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:
    Well last night (July 3) was the first test with the fireworks. Our next door neighbors had company over who LOVE fireworks. They brought a huge box of them. Our houses are very close together (cheap subdivision). We had talked with our neighbors the day before and we told them that we are not sure how Toby will react to them but we are pretty much quiet people. She said she wanted the company to take the fireworks to the edge of the subdivision to set them off but unsure if they will. Well they didn't!
    Toby at first did not notice because we had the tv on but he had to go outside for potty time. When we took him out he got scared at first as they were shooting them off. He then calmed down and soon did not show fear inside or outside the house. I hope that continues through tonight as I am sure they will have a huge stack to set off.
    We were not pleased with them though because as we were laying in bed I heard a pounding on the roof at the same time they were firing off the fireworks. I think one of the firework canisters came down on our roof. Thats how close we are to them. I was scared that it would catch our house on fire but it didn't. My husband will be going up there sometime this week to see if he can find it. After that happened we didn't hear them for awhile then we heard the fireworks go off again but this time at the edge of the subdivision so lets hope they learned their lesson.
    I hope everyone is having a wonderful 4th of July!
    We went to the zoo this morning as our outing today. I haven't been in many many years!
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I got Nina when she was 7, and already she was petrified of thunder and fireworks. I don't think that she will ever learn to love either one. but I got her a Thunder Shirt almost a year ago....sadly after the 4th of July last year....It is unbeliveable the big differance it makes when she is wearing it. She can now lay in her bed peacefully with the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_73yvqnn5xb_e
    I saw these and suggested it as a possible alternative to my aunt-in-law for her silky haired terrier rescue. He had to be medicated during thunderstorms for fear he would have a heart attack. She bought one and was amazed at how well it worked (and no, I don't work for the company, lol). It's so nice to have something like this that works!

We ended up taking Rose with us to go see the city fireworks show. It was definitely louder in our neighborhood than downtown! I have to say, Rose is the first dog I've been around who really looked to see how we reacted to something she was concerned about or thought was scary, so even if I thought it was scary or startling too (the coyotes at the back fence was an exception- we both ran like mad back to the house, lol) I tried really hard to not react or reassure her, and she immediately went on about whatever she was doing before. I guess I was just amazed at how much she was taking her cues from me and my reaction. Could just be first puppy syndrome on my part, too, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad that Rose liked the fireworks. We noticed that Toby is only alert on the first set of fireworks then he settles down and keeps playing with his toys. Since this is the case we plan to take him to the fireworks next year. Our neighbors set off fireworks until midnight then again at 4:15am this morning..UGH! talk about little sleep. They did good though by going to the edge of the neighborhood so we were thankful.
    I cannot wait until next year so we can actually go see a display for the first time in MANY years! If we can keep Toby playing and not paying attention we should be fine.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Furrfoot View Post
    I saw these and suggested it as a possible alternative to my aunt-in-law for her silky haired terrier rescue. He had to be medicated during thunderstorms for fear he would have a heart attack. She bought one and was amazed at how well it worked (and no, I don't work for the company, lol). It's so nice to have something like this that works!

We ended up taking Rose with us to go see the city fireworks show. It was definitely louder in our neighborhood than downtown! I have to say, Rose is the first dog I've been around who really looked to see how we reacted to something she was concerned about or thought was scary, so even if I thought it was scary or startling too (the coyotes at the back fence was an exception- we both ran like mad back to the house, lol) I tried really hard to not react or reassure her, and she immediately went on about whatever she was doing before. I guess I was just amazed at how much she was taking her cues from me and my reaction. Could just be first puppy syndrome on my part, too, lol.