• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie's annual Heart Check up!

Karen and Ruby

So Charlie went in on Monday to have his annual check up on his heart.

I couldn't help but feel nervous as he has slowed down a bit recently and his murmor is definatly worse- I used to only be able to feel it at time when he had an increased heart beat but lately it is noticable when he is resting also.

He is two and a half now so the slowing down could be due to him getting a bit older and calming down somewhat but when dealing with a dog with a heart defect it is worrying nethertheless.

So I dropped him off on monday morning with the instruction to lightly sedate only if needed. Our Cardio took his femoral pulse and said that it was really strong, listened to his heart and said that the murmor was definately worse. Which I kinda knew anyway, but he said not to worry as it doesn't mean his condition has deteriorated. I said that he had calmed down a fair bit but its probably just down to age. Cardio said that the practice was fairly empty that day with not too many residents about so they would try to do the Ultrasound with out any sedation as they get a better picture of things. Got a call to make a discharge appointment for 5pm and wasnt told anything other that it was all done.

So little man was so so so brave and they did all the tests with no sedation at all- they got some great pictures.
He said that they compare the Aorta with the left ventricle and that there is no enlargement at all, the heart is a great size with no enlargement at all, his heart is functioing as well as can be considering and that we don't need to go back for 2 years this time!
Unless there is any change or any signs or coughing!

He said that the weight he is at at the momment should be a maximun for us (7.7kg) and that whatever we are doing is obviously working as there are no signs of deterioration at all!:grin:

So we will keep on with the Vitamin E, the Co-enzyme Q10 and lots of prayers and excercise. Oh and love of course as love is hat keeps our hearts beating:)

This is great news that he is home. Living with a condition just changes a few things, but all is good....Really happy that you had so much information.

That`s great news that Charlie does not have to have a check up for 2 years, you must be so relieved, I get so anxious when we have to take our 11 year old for his heart check up every 3 months for more heart meds.

Back