Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Price I Can Expect For a Properly Bred Puppy

Post Thanks / Like

Question Realistic Price I Can Expect For a Properly Bred Puppy

I hope it is okay to ask this...

As I stated in my introduction, I am wanting to welcome a cavalier puppy to our family. I would love to adopt a puppy from a proper breeder.
    If a puppy was sold with papers and registration, microchip, dewormed, vaccinations up-to-date, EU passport, and written guarantee, what would be the realistic cost of such a puppy?

I'm sorry if this might seem a bit odd of a question to ask. It's a bit hard to ask such a question as it involves putting a price on a living creation and I dislike that notion but at the same time, I think it is good to know what can be expected. (Kinda like when we had our small garden quoted for landscape work thinking it'd be 5000 but we were quoted 18 000) It's also hard because I am new in this country and know that things vary from country to country as well. I figure that perhaps the Netherlands would have a similar range as the UK? I have read that I can expect a puppy to cost between 500-800 and I am wondering if that is actually realistic or if that is too low. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be overpaying either. I'm trying to have a basic idea of what cavaliers normally cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nela View Post
    I hope it is okay to ask this...

As I stated in my introduction, I am wanting to welcome a cavalier puppy to our family. I would love to adopt a puppy from a proper breeder.
    If a puppy was sold with papers and registration, microchip, dewormed, vaccinations up-to-date, EU passport, and written guarantee, what would be the realistic cost of such a puppy?

I'm sorry if this might seem a bit odd of a question to ask. It's a bit hard to ask such a question as it involves putting a price on a living creation and I dislike that notion but at the same time, I think it is good to know what can be expected. (Kinda like when we had our small garden quoted for landscape work thinking it'd be 5000 but we were quoted 18 000) It's also hard because I am new in this country and know that things vary from country to country as well. I figure that perhaps the Netherlands would have a similar range as the UK? I have read that I can expect a puppy to cost between 500-800 and I am wondering if that is actually realistic or if that is too low. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be overpaying either. I'm trying to have a basic idea of what cavaliers normally cost?
    1,500-2,500 $ in the states.

I paid 400 and 850 for mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

My four ranged from 6-900, with my last from Grade A parents and all required papers cost 800 .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nela,
    In the UK you can expect to pay between 600-800 for a pet.
    For that price,you should expect
    Vaccinations,microchip,KC registration,wormed.
    Mri scans on both parents(At least one being graded A)
    Cardiologist heart certs and opthalmologist eye certs.
    The puppies can also be litter screened.
    You won't have them EU passported or guaranteed but can expect a contract from some breeders.
    Hope this helps
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you guys! That really does help and that gives me a bit of a boost. It helps to know that getting a puppy from a respectable breeder doesn't necessarily mean having to spend thousands (well maybe in the US?). I just want a healthy puppy, and I especially want to encourage these breeders who are working so hard on saving the breed.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine were $1400 and $2700. One came from what would be terms as a backyard breeder, they had one male and two females, so far Chelsea is healthy at 5.5 but I do not know about the health of the breed line. The other came from a breeder who has been working with the breed for over 25 years, champion lines, health tested, Vivian's grandma was health clear at 13.

Good luck on your search.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nela View Post
    Oh thank you guys! That really does help and that gives me a bit of a boost. It helps to know that getting a puppy from a respectable breeder doesn't necessarily mean having to spend thousands (well maybe in the US?). I just want a healthy puppy, and I especially want to encourage these breeders who are working so hard on saving the breed.

If everybody wanting a Cavalier Puppy would be like you wanting to buy from good health testing breeders half of the battle regarding cavaliers Health would be already won. The Puppy Buying Public is just as responsible as the breeders are.
    Good luck in finding your pup.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nela,
    If you're seriously looking for a puppy in the near future,send a PM to MargaretC who has a list of breeders who health test.

Sins
    Last edited by sins; 30th June 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The advice given so far has been good, Sins has listed what you should expect if you are paying 600 - 800 in the UK. (though vaccinations may be seperate sometimes depending on age of pup) But do beware - there are breeders who will ask a high price and not have had all these things tests done!!!! But they will still talk the talk, and try and convince you that you are getting a top qualitiy pup!
    No Clear test certificates for parents, hearts SM and eyes, then hard as it seems, it is better to walk away. I think Margaret Carter has put examples of the what these certificates look like on her website?
    They may be different in the Netherlands, but it will give you an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes you can see copies of the certificates on Margaret's site http://cavalierpuppy.co.uk/cavalier-...alth-problems/

There is lots of good information about finding a Cavalier puppy which applies wherever you live
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org