• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Realistic Price I Can Expect For a Properly Bred Puppy

Nela

I hope it is okay to ask this...

As I stated in my introduction, I am wanting to welcome a cavalier puppy to our family. I would love to adopt a puppy from a proper breeder.
If a puppy was sold with papers and registration, microchip, dewormed, vaccinations up-to-date, EU passport, and written guarantee, what would be the realistic cost of such a puppy?

I'm sorry if this might seem a bit odd of a question to ask. It's a bit hard to ask such a question as it involves putting a price on a living creation and I dislike that notion but at the same time, I think it is good to know what can be expected. (Kinda like when we had our small garden quoted for landscape work thinking it'd be 5000 but we were quoted 18 000) It's also hard because I am new in this country and know that things vary from country to country as well. I figure that perhaps the Netherlands would have a similar range as the UK? I have read that I can expect a puppy to cost between 500-800 and I am wondering if that is actually realistic or if that is too low. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be overpaying either. I'm trying to have a basic idea of what cavaliers normally cost?

I hope it is okay to ask this...

As I stated in my introduction, I am wanting to welcome a cavalier puppy to our family. I would love to adopt a puppy from a proper breeder.
If a puppy was sold with papers and registration, microchip, dewormed, vaccinations up-to-date, EU passport, and written guarantee, what would be the realistic cost of such a puppy?

I'm sorry if this might seem a bit odd of a question to ask. It's a bit hard to ask such a question as it involves putting a price on a living creation and I dislike that notion but at the same time, I think it is good to know what can be expected. (Kinda like when we had our small garden quoted for landscape work thinking it'd be 5000 but we were quoted 18 000) It's also hard because I am new in this country and know that things vary from country to country as well. I figure that perhaps the Netherlands would have a similar range as the UK? I have read that I can expect a puppy to cost between 500-800 and I am wondering if that is actually realistic or if that is too low. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be overpaying either. I'm trying to have a basic idea of what cavaliers normally cost?

1,500-2,500 $ in the states.

I paid 400 and 850 for mine.

Hi

My four ranged from £6-900, with my last from Grade A parents and all required papers cost £800 .:)

Hi Nela,
In the UK you can expect to pay between £600-£800 for a pet.
For that price,you should expect
Vaccinations,microchip,KC registration,wormed.
Mri scans on both parents(At least one being graded A)
Cardiologist heart certs and opthalmologist eye certs.
The puppies can also be litter screened.
You won't have them EU passported or guaranteed but can expect a contract from some breeders.
Hope this helps
Sins

Oh thank you guys! That really does help and that gives me a bit of a boost. It helps to know that getting a puppy from a respectable breeder doesn't necessarily mean having to spend thousands (well maybe in the US?). I just want a healthy puppy, and I especially want to encourage these breeders who are working so hard on saving the breed.

Mine were $1400 and $2700. One came from what would be terms as a backyard breeder, they had one male and two females, so far Chelsea is healthy at 5.5 but I do not know about the health of the breed line. The other came from a breeder who has been working with the breed for over 25 years, champion lines, health tested, Vivian's grandma was health clear at 13.

Good luck on your search.

Oh thank you guys! That really does help and that gives me a bit of a boost. It helps to know that getting a puppy from a respectable breeder doesn't necessarily mean having to spend thousands (well maybe in the US?). I just want a healthy puppy, and I especially want to encourage these breeders who are working so hard on saving the breed.

If everybody wanting a Cavalier Puppy would be like you wanting to buy from good health testing breeders half of the battle regarding cavaliers Health would be already won. The Puppy Buying Public is just as responsible as the breeders are.
Good luck in finding your pup.

Hi Nela,
If you're seriously looking for a puppy in the near future,send a PM to MargaretC who has a list of breeders who health test.

Sins

Last edited:
The advice given so far has been good, Sins has listed what you should expect if you are paying £600 - £800 in the UK. (though vaccinations may be seperate sometimes depending on age of pup) But do beware - there are breeders who will ask a high price and not have had all these things tests done!!!!:mad: But they will still talk the talk, and try and convince you that you are getting a top qualitiy pup!
No Clear test certificates for parents, hearts SM and eyes, then hard as it seems, it is better to walk away. I think Margaret Carter has put examples of the what these certificates look like on her website?
They may be different in the Netherlands, but it will give you an idea.

Thank you everyone. It is nice to have a clear idea of what to expect. We will probably go visit some puppies tomorrow. However, I am very much on my guard and expect that I will not be satisfied and will walk away. On the other hand, my boyfriend has now read about the health issues himself and I think he is understanding more and more about the importance of the scans. I am really relieved. We are animal lovers and we don't want to watch an animal suffer. You guys have really helped clear things up. Thank you again.

Best of luck! Beware though that if you see puppies, it is very very hard to walk away... it is how poor breeders easily sell puppies. Most of us would gladly take the entire litter... :cool: but it is really critical to be sure a breeder is doing the needed health tests to help both his/her lines and the breed as a whole (speaking as a person who has three cavaliers with SM).

Back