• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 crates/ 2 rooms - Good or Bad Idea?

Nela

When we get our puppy, I plan on closing off a small room on the main floor to be hers. The room gives access to the yard and because it is where we spend most of our time (and I can supervise her), I figured it would be best to use that area for her while we housetrain her etc. I will have a crate in there so she can nap or be safe if I need to step away. Also, this will permit the pets to get used to each other (at least by sound and scent) as the guinea pigs are in that room (out of reach) and the cats can come and go as they please but won't be unsupervised with her.

However, our bedroom is upstairs and the cats always come upstairs as well. I was thinking of making her another room upstairs as well so she wouldn't feel alone? Maybe if she hears us she will feel safer? I have 2 crates so I would put her in there for the night. My cats are gentle and will have their claws cut regularly, but could they still injure each other through the crate? My girl has never ever hurt another pet. She was raised with all kinds of animals but not dogs though. Baloo, he is more timid and he will not bug the puppy.

I was just wondering... Would this cause the wee one problems? Would it be unsettling to her to be taken from one room to the other from night to day? I don't plan on shifting things around within the room, just take her from one to the other so we can always be closeby... Any thoughts?

It should be fine! The most important thing you can do for yourself and your new arrival is to keep your puppy under your close watch, so it is a good idea to have a way to do this in any room you plan on having your puppy be in with you. Without being able to keep an eye on your puppy, it is going to be difficult to potty train. Sounds like you will be able to keep watch just fine!

I have multiple crates around my house and it's never caused a problem for my two (and they are different style crates as well).

Okie Dokie, that sounds great then. I think if I let her out of the room (if I need to work in the kitchen I can't actually see her) I will keep her on a harness attached to me. That will help get her used to the harness as well I think. I'm really happy that the setup can work... I didn't like the idea of her sleeping downstairs alone. *Blushes* Hehehe.

Thank you for your replies :D

Back