• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Makes me mad. Buying a cheap Cavalier and get health insurance

anniemac

I did not want to take over Nela's post but I had to say this because it has been bothering me. In the USA, to get a Cavalier Puppy from a respectable breeder is quite expensive. I know this and when I decide to get a puppy (if I choose that over rescue) I know what to expect. My friend told me I should buy a puppy from this breeder that sells them for $500 and there is no reason to spend thousands on a puppy. I replied back that this breeder does not do health testing and is a BYB etc... Her response:

That's why you get pet insurance!!! :mad: You have got to be kidding me. I did a blog post on it but to get a drift of the type of breeder this is and it is a really good example of things to avoid but let me share some of it. I bolded some things that stood out to me

http://fightforella.blogspot.com/2011/06/buying-cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-be.html

How can one not fall in love once they see a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy? Those big puppy eyes looking at you, then you give in because they are too hard to resist. Check out this email that was sent to a Charlotte Meet-Up Group along with puppy pictures attached.

"Just wanted to let everyone know that we have 6 gorgeous babies, soon to be available, from 2 litters.

3 Ruby boys, parents are 12 and 10lbs each.
2 Blenheim boys, parents are 12 and 11lbs each.
Boys are $750 each, and will be up to date on shots and deworming before going to their new homes.

Both fathers are AKC registered and one is champion sired, but mothers are both CKC registered, as will be the pups.

I have one female, she is a rare little thing. She is white, tan and SABLE instead of black. Some also call this chocolate. This is a very rare, and has happened once before with one of this mother's previous litters. As the others online that I have researched report, the pup from the previous litter was the same: her sable coat grew out with puppy hair and it was replaced with a VERY deep dark red. She is gorgeous, and extremely unique. I am asking $895 for her.

I am attaching pictures of all, please pass this along to anyone you know who may be looking for the perfect family pet this summer! They are 5 weeks today, so there is still a couple of weeks before they can go to their new homes, but I am accepting deposits to hold a puppy of your choice"

Then my friend replied to me:

"OMG I WANT ONE SOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD"

There is nothing wrong and I recommend getting pet insurance but NOT for the reason to buy a cheap puppy from a breeder who does no health testing to help try to prevent inherited conditions.

Make me angry

I so understand what your saying!

Buying a "cheap" cavalier from an unethical breeder only benefits the unethical breeder & keeps them breeding!

I bet this same person would not be saying this 2 years later when there cute little puppy is a ll grown up and screaming in pain. Or when even with the pet insurance they are still paying thousands of dollars out of pocket for premiums, co-pays & deductibles.

On a side note... I don't think "price" alone is a good judgement on how "good", "responsible" or "ethical" the breeder is. Both Blitz & Holly came from breeders who are still charging $1500 - $2000 for a puppy. NO health testing what so ever on the parents but all the puppies have been "vet checked". Both breeders have "Many years experience with the cavalier breed".

Speaking of "vet checked" puppies. I have talked to so many people who confuse "vet checked puppies" for "heath tested"! :bang::bang::bang:

Sorry, to jump in on your rant! Just had to put in my 2 cents worth.

Oh dear... Buying cheap to cover with health insurance? That is insane. You should be buying to ensure no puppy suffers under your care (prevent it as much as possible at least), point finale. If money is such a big issue, maybe that person shouldn't get one. :bang:

I saw puppies for 450 here. The ad said that the parents are tested, the pups are vaccinated and dewormed. There was no mention of registration or not, they aren't microchipped, price is lower than I would expect but we contacted the breeder to find out more, just in case. However, I highly doubt this is a breeder that can produce documents showing that the parents have been scanned etc. I also doubt that they will have a pedigree and be registered. My boyfriend doesn't want to spend too much, but he does agree that the puppy needs to be healthy.

In my opinion, I would rather support the breed by buying from a good breeder and preventing a puppy from suffering and encountering health issues as much as possible. I'd rather pay a bit more now and get a healthy, happy puppy, than pay less and end up with a miserable puppy and expensive vet bills.

Would people who carried serious illnesses reproduce and have children, knowingly passing this on to the child, just because you can take a child to the hospital? I mean really...

I sure your friend doesn't get one.

I bet this same person would not be saying this 2 years later when there cute little puppy is a ll grown up and screaming in pain. Or when even with the pet insurance they are still paying thousands of dollars out of pocket for premiums, co-pays & deductibles.

I am sorry to say this sort of person would not pay out any money for higher premiums or vet costs, this sort of person would dump the dog at a rescue centre.

Shannon, I agree that price does not dictate whether they are from a good breeder or not. After this email was sent, I told the person who started the meet-up group that I think we should not allow this and I don't want to be part of it. It actually made me and another person who is on this forum (rarely) that has a cavalier with SM so angry. Anyway, it still goes on because they are on an email list. I heard at the last meet up, someone came with their puppies they had for sale. :mad:

Here I am making newsletters, sending articles, stressing importance of knowing health issues, getting Ella's neurologist to come talk, getting a cardiologist come and set a time up so that they could get hearts tested at a discount etc. then a picture comes with a puppy. Anyway, if money was an issue and I did not want to pay thousands, I would get a rescue.

This group is just an informal group that meets at the dog park once a month. Anyway... just venting

I am sorry to say this sort of person would not pay out any money for higher premiums or vet costs, this sort of person would dump the dog at a rescue centre.

The person who said this was also the one who told me that I should just get another puppy for the cost of Ella's surgery. Arggg :mad: Later she took it back and said she didn't say that and if it was her cavalier she would do the same blah blah blah. Let Ella be in pain and use the money to HELP her (which my parents helped with) to get another one to take her place. Then she says she loves Ella more than me and had the nerve to tell me she is better off with her because she is happy but she just thinks she's depressed with me.

I could go on but I will not....

Back