• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

This is difficult

Sydneys Mom

For some reason, I'm having a hard time writing this. I've already written and deleted it twice. It's not even all bad news....it just be one of those days.

Yesterday, we took Sydney for his recheck with the cardiologist. His heart rate was the lowest she has seen it in a long time, so that means the meds are working and this is GOOD NEWS. However, his abdomen was again bloated and they had to do another abdominal tap. Three weeks ago they did this and drained about 1 1/2 cups of fluid, this time it was double the amount, 3 cups.

On top of this, he has an extremely bad outbreak for staphylococcus infection. The shaved his belly. His skin is inflamed and itchy with the sores. He's on an antibiotic now, and I have to wash his belly daily with medicated shampoo. The staph isn't a new problem, it's been an ongoing problem for many years. It stems from his weakened immune system from hypothyroidism.

It's so difficult to see how much he has to go through. He is such a sweetheart - he just lets me and the doctors poke and prod him without a wimper. I know he doesn't like it and it isn't pleasant for him. I end up crying for him every night as I set out all his pills for the next day.

All things considered, I guess his check up was OK, even with the abdominal tap which I sort of expected. I know the doctor had hoped the last tap would have lasted longer. Things could have been worse. I'll take whatever good I can get.

Thanks for listening. I know all of you understand this.

Joyce,
Sorry to hear Sydney is a little poorly today. Try and focus on the good news. Sending hugs your way and know we are thinking of you.:flwr:

Tommy now has problems with sores breaking out on his skin. It is kept under control with baths using malaseb shampoo & antibiotics when they get too bad.
My vet says it is an auto-immune problem that has developed with age.

I have just had to put Tom on stronger medication for his SM, sometimes it feels as if we are under siege aand very slowly losing ground.

But tonight when it is time for his bedtime treat I will give him two little biscuits and then offer him a piece of rice cake. He will refuse to take it until he has had his third biscuit. He can count and he knows his due.

It is our funny jokey little ritual and it makes me laugh and we both go to bed happy enough.

Oh I am sorry to hear that. It is good abouy Sydney's heart, but must be so hard with everything else. This poor little cavaliers, it is just not fair.

Brooklyn and I are sending you a BIG hug and Brooklyn sends Sydney a good cuddle. :lotsaluv:

But tonight when it is time for his bedtime treat I will give him two little biscuits and then offer him a piece of rice cake. He will refuse to take it until he has had his third biscuit. He can count and he knows his due.

It is our funny jokey little ritual and it makes me laugh and we both go to bed happy enough.

I know exactly what you mean. Sydney & I have our own ritual....I say "on your mark, get set, go" and we race down the hall to the bedroom for bed. Then he gets his treat. And yes, he can count too. He gets 3 small treats on his bed and when I get in my bed, he gets another!

Back