• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

DNA test.

I got the result for Coco this evening and she is CLEAR too.
I'm so happy !!!

I am so pleased for you. Very well done.

As I said earlier Faith was clear on the DNA tests and I had some other good news too. I recently had Faith scanned again at one of the Stonelion scanning days and at four years she is still Grade A.

She has CM, as do 98% or so of all cavaliers, but the scan is exactly the same as last time, with no SM, ventricular dilatation ( excess fluid within ventricles of the brain ) or PSOM. ( glue ear )

I had her rescanned as she was last MRI'd at 2.5 years and although she was then mated twice to an older grade A mate she failed to get into whelp. Tests eventually showed he was no longer fertile.

At least I still know that her scan is still as good as it gets for a cavalier before I introduce her to a new young SM clear mate.

Well HUGE congratulations to both of you :wggle::wggle::wggle:

What fantastic news :grin:

Torben I think you were suspicious of Coco's results, so this must be a huge relief for you.

Thank you both for carrying out these tests.

I just thought you might be interested to know that before the Midland CKCS Club's Open Show started this morning an announcement was made that there are to be 20 free test facilities offered and to be paid for by the CKCS Club. Application forms were available at the show, to be returned to Peter Towse, who will select the recipients from the completed applications.

While making the announcement the seriousness of the two defects and the conditions they carry with them were outlined. Additionally, I offered to give any further information about CC/DE, it's symptoms and diagnosis to anyone who contacts me.

I don't think it fair to say that the clubs are doing nothing. My calculator tells me that 20 x £48 totals £960 worth of free testing. Rather more than nothing don't you think.

I see there is now a notice about this on the Cavalier Club website, but in fact none of the cavalier clubs are paying, this is a free offer from the Animal Health Trust to test 200 cavaliers, 20 from each regional club..............

"AHT investigation into frequencies of the mutations associated with dry eye curly coat syndrome and episodic falling in CKCS in the UK

In April 2011 the Animal Health Trust (AHT) was pleased to announce the launch of two new DNA tests for dry eye curly coat syndrome and episodic falling in CKCS. These tests have been made available as the result of genetic studies carried out at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the AHT. To assist CKCS breeders further, we are now gathering information about the frequency of these two mutations in the current UK population. This will entail the collection and testing of DNA from a random selection of CKCS of breeding age so that we can determine the percentage of dogs carrying the mutations.
The AHT propose collecting cheek swab samples from 200 individual dogs (20 from each of the ten regional breed clubs). Each dog will be tested free of charge for both conditions. Sampling dogs from all of the regional breed clubs provides a means of gathering data from a wide geographical area, and we would prefer that each of the 200 dogs tested has a different sire and dam to maximise the cross section of the CKCS population that we sample."

That is very generous of the Animal Health Trust - wouldn't it be wonderful if the clubs contributed too??

Well HUGE congratulations to both of you :wggle::wggle::wggle:

What fantastic news :grin:

Torben I think you were suspicious of Coco's results, so this must be a huge relief for you.

Thank you both for carrying out these tests.

Yes is right I were suspicious about Coco's results, and it's such a enormous relief :lotsaluv:

Back