Thread: puppy only wants to sleep on someone

Post Thanks / Like

Default puppy only wants to sleep on someone

Our puppy only seems to want to fall asleep laying on someone. For example yesterday she was jumping up at the sofa next to Charlotte, when she was picked up she snuggled in and fell straight asleep. The same happens through the night, she wakes up and scratches at the bed, i pick her up and return her to her bed, I sat there with her to comfort her, she climbed out and onto my legs and started to fall back to sleep. I thought it must be a heat thing, with her coming from a litter of 9 and being used to sleeping with her siblings, so I have started using a covered hot water bottle to simulate this and she sleeps great with it. But she wakes up and its gone cold she is straight back over to me.

Am I doing the right thing with the hot water bottle? Should I be doing anything to get her into the habit of sleeping alone or will that come with age since she is only 11 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anth View Post
    Our puppy only seems to want to fall asleep laying on someone. For example yesterday she was jumping up at the sofa next to Charlotte, when she was picked up she snuggled in and fell straight asleep. The same happens through the night, she wakes up and scratches at the bed, i pick her up and return her to her bed, I sat there with her to comfort her, she climbed out and onto my legs and started to fall back to sleep. I thought it must be a heat thing, with her coming from a litter of 9 and being used to sleeping with her siblings, so I have started using a covered hot water bottle to simulate this and she sleeps great with it. But she wakes up and its gone cold she is straight back over to me.

Am I doing the right thing with the hot water bottle? Should I be doing anything to get her into the habit of sleeping alone or will that come with age since she is only 11 weeks.
    Get a heating blanket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We let Clancy sleep in bed with us from the 2nd night. Oliver can't stay dry through the night yet, so we keep him in his pen, with a baby monitor to listen for his cries. But he for sure prefers sleeping on a person!
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Typical Cav that's why we love them! You can get heat blankets or pads.
    Deb

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I didn't know you could get them. Ill have a look at the weekend to see if I can get one for her

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget she's probably missing her mum and litter mates, and wants that nice cuddly comforting contact with another warm body.

I can't remember what they're called because it was a while back when I last saw them, but you can - or used to be able to - get "surrogate" mums for little pups: a stuffed doggy with a beating battery heart and a warming pad to pop inside. it might be worth looking to see if you could find something like that?

Rosemary

PS - found them - they're Snuggle Puppies (here: http://www.snugglepetproducts.com/sn...es/brown-white)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Leaving a puppy with an electrical heating pad is potentially dangerous, not only can a puppy chew into wires/heating elements, but if the puppy is sleeping on it they often don't have heat regulators and can get burnt (uk electrics may have more safeguards but us ones rarely do).
    Either stick with the water bottle, and add a fleecy blanket that would store the puppy's body heat, or get a device made specifically for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

The covered hot water bottle has always worked well for us.At 11 weeks we never let them into the bed as the risk of falling off is just too high for a small puppy.If you get four or five hours sleep,you're doing well,it's a bit like having a baby in the house.
    Cavaliers love human contact and even as an adult,they'll still want to sit on you.
    Some of my happiest times have been relaxing on the sofa with a cavalier puppy snuggled up in their blanket.
    No doubt you'll have many wonderful times with your new dog.
    Sins