Thread: Harness/leash training?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harness/leash training?

UGH! Toby really hates his harness. Its an extra small, still a little big but does stay on him. Its pretty much a soft material except at the stitching. When I put it on, he tries to get to it to chew it then he scratches at it and then lays down to pout. After awhile he will get up and move around and play but still scratches at it. Its an easy clip on harness. It clips at the top area.
    Then when I try to train him on the leash, he hates that even more! I've heard to allow them to drag the leash around for awhile. Well he lays down and chews on it instead of walking. They say to leave the leash loose as you try to walk with him and all he does is try to grab at it and chew it or walks himself. I've tried this several times and I can't get him to actually walk. We have done the treat thing when someone is holding the leash and someone else is holding the treat and calls him. He will walk to get the treat but then lays down again.
    I've left the harness on for a whole day but have to take it off when he goes into his crate. I also bought 2 collars and he hates those too.
    Desperate for advice.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've had the same experience trying to train puppies to learn to walk on a leash. So imagine my surprise when Oliver took to it immediately! Then I realized why.

He models his behavior on his older brother Clancy! I have a friend who actually borrowed an older dog to teach her puppy to leash walk. A lot of them are very "monkey see, monkey do" when it comes to learning this stuff.

If you can't borrow an older dog, maybe enroll Toby in a puppy kindergarden class?
    ~Denise and Clancy, Dillon (gone to The Bridge), and baby Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly we only know of 1 person with a dog and Toby will only be getting his 2nd shots today. Its really hard to have outdoor fun with Toby when he cannot be around other dogs yet LOL So we stick with the same old same old backyard LOL
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by StillPooh View Post
    I've had the same experience trying to train puppies to learn to walk on a leash. So imagine my surprise when Oliver took to it immediately! Then I realized why.

He models his behavior on his older brother Clancy! I have a friend who actually borrowed an older dog to teach her puppy to leash walk. A lot of them are very "monkey see, monkey do" when it comes to learning this stuff.

If you can't borrow an older dog, maybe enroll Toby in a puppy kindergarden class?

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for Bear! So desperate times call for desperate measures!

My husband gave up on it though after a few minute because as soon as he caught it he sat down and chewed on bear!
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Try using that same stick and put some Easy Cheese (the nasty canned cheese!) or some peanut butter on the end, hold it in front of the puppy, and let him have a taste every so ofetn as he walks. Praise like crazy and make a party of it when he walks properly. A friend of mine trains her pbaby puppies for the show ring this way and it works!
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the idea. I will give it a try!
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Try using that same stick and put some Easy Cheese (the nasty canned cheese!) or some peanut butter on the end, hold it in front of the puppy, and let him have a taste every so ofetn as he walks. Praise like crazy and make a party of it when he walks properly. A friend of mine trains her pbaby puppies for the show ring this way and it works!