• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Snood

Nana26

I think it's time we starting using snoods. Raw feeding and two 1 y.o.'s with growing ears!!!! :)

Does anyone have a pattern? How long are they...how wide are they? I've seen some with two elastics & some with three...which is better?

Thanks for any and all input
Nana

I just bought fabric for snoods and am looking for a pattern too if anyone can share one! :)

You don't really need a pattern, but you probably need to do a little bit of measuring to make one that will fit your dog's head size!

This is based on what I've used to make snoods for fundraising - working from one metre of 44" wide fabric - you can probably get 6 snoods from this size; any suitable washable lightweight fabric should work OK. I've used both cotton poplin and a pretty glittery sequinned fabric (from eBay) that was both washable and surprisingly easy to sew!

You need to start with a piece of fabric about 22" wide and depending on the size of your dog:
a) 14" deep for a largish head
b) 12" deep for a medium head
c) 10" deep for a small/puppy head

Stitch the two short sides together to make a tube; I did french seams to keep things neat but you could zigzag stitch, overlock, or use pinking shears, etc, to neaten the raw edges; press open.

Taking about 1" on each of the two long edges, fold under twice and hem to make slots for your elastic, leaving approx 1/2" unstitched to allow for it to be inserted; press.

Cut two pieces of "knicker" elastic long enough to fit snugly round your Cavalier's head - over the top and round under the chin. (Probably in the range of 12-14" lengths).

Fasten elastic to safety pin and thread though slots; overlap ends by 1/2"-1", check fit, and stitch them together firmly.

HTH, Rosemary

Someone was just asking for a snood pattern, and I can't find the thread...!

Back