• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Information about MRI scanning

kurtz

Good morning,

sorry i don't understand if there is an agreement about some breeders and USA or UK ckcs club for scanning all puppies, or every people can do what they want.

I think that in Italy, we have a big problem about CM/SM, the problem is that it is not normal to MRI scan the dogs. A lot of owners think that this is not an italian problem, they think the problem is strictly in UK:(.

Sorry for my poor english, i hope you can understand me.

K

Good morning,

sorry i don't understand if there is an agreement about some breeders and USA or UK ckcs club for scanning all puppies, or every people can do what they want.

I think that in Italy, we have a big problem about CM/SM, the problem is that it is not normal to MRI scan the dogs. A lot of owners think that this is not an italian problem, they think the problem is strictly in UK:(.

Sorry for my poor english, i hope you can understand me.

K

There are voluntary breeding guidelines for SM and MVD ( hearts ) and we know that if breeders followed them we could gradually breed away from the early-onset form of both inherited conditions.

Good breeders scan & follow the guidelines but the uncaring breeders don't want to health check.

You do have problems with CM/SM in Italy, I have had pet owners contact me.

All Italian cavaliers will go back to English dogs. The CM/SM genes that have lurked for generations in cavaliers did not disappear just because the dogs were sent to a different Country.

Last edited:
Thank you Margaret, if you're the owner of an old dog "Monty" as I think, he was great grandfather of my little puppy 6 mounths old.

I think that Uk CKCS club and also USA CKCS now support and help with correct information all breeders and owners, i hope they speak clearly about this problems. In italy is not the same.

Kurtz

Thank you Margaret, if you're the owner of an old dog "Monty" as I think, he was great grandfather of my little puppy 6 mounths old.

I think that Uk CKCS club and also USA CKCS now support and help with correct information all breeders and owners, i hope they speak clearly about this problems. In italy is not the same.

Kurtz

Monty or to give him his posh title 'Champion Mareve Indiana JW' is the lovely cavalier in my avatar.

Monty was born in 1992, the only puppy in the litter and he became my very very special dog. I hope your puppy has inherited his wonderful temperament, his glamour and his sense of fun.
I hope that is all he has inherited.

Your puppy illustrates just how cavalier genes, good and bad, will be the same all over the world.
Your boy is the great grandson of a top UK stud dog who had champion offspring all over the world and who started screaming in pain when he was eleven years old. When he was euthanised two months later the post-mortem showed my lovely old darling had SM.

Although I did not realise it at the time, the overuse of Monty played a part in spreading SM all over the world. If you study the extended pedigrees of many of the top winning cavaliers worldwide you will find his name there somewhere.
Exactly the same can be said for the other top UK stud dogs that were also produced limping scratching offspring at the same time.

Your Italian breeders are not going to be able to pretend they have no problem for long. It cannot remain hidden. The sooner they start scanning the sooner they will be able to breed away from the severest form of the condition.

Thank you Margaret,

now i am sure that Lance is the greatgrandson of your special boy. Lance is a tricolor puppy born in italy this year, he's very lovely and funny, sometime it seems that he feels our problems and try to help us.

About MRI scanning, i think your words are correct, in Italy there is not an official Cavalier King Club, i search in the site of Italian Kennel Club (ENCI) and in other clubs recognised by Enci, but unfortunately, i cannot read nothing about MVD and CM/SM in cavaliers king.

As you say, maybe they're hidden.

I know a pair of small breeders in Italy, and they talk to me about italian scene, i think that preventive MRI scanning in Italy not exist, i know that some owners, not too much have dogs died for SM and they do MRI. This small breeders scared to speak about. Maybe they do something with cardiologist, but nothing with neurologist.

If you speak about this problem in Italy, soon you're alone. I don't know, maybe there is other people who know the italian scene better than me, my idea is horrible about.

Sorry for my english, i hope you understand.

K

You write well & I do understand.

That is the way most breeders act when there are health issues in the breed.

They stop talking to the person who is asking for information.

I would love to see a photo of Lance. Can you put one on the forum?

Kurtz,

Lance is beautiful.
By the way your English is much better than most people's Italian. We understand perfectly well:wink:

Back