• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Everybody Else's Problem

This whole thread is upsetting. There will always be people that don't know better. I don't understand the mentality. One poster on another thread said something great. She was wondering about cost of SM because she is going to get a rescue. She said she knew what she was getting into and the cavalier would have health problems either way. Thank you! She was not BUYING a cavalier from a breeder that contributes to the problem, but is a special person to rescue a cavalier that who knows what background they had. So I don't understand. I have that option for my next cavalier or if I buy a puppy, it will be from a breeder that I spent time researching. I know about health problems and how to find a breeder. If I overlooked this and bought a cheap cavalier or one I could get right now, then I would be part of the problem and I would not do that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Also I would like to say thank you to those that know its not someone elses problem. Especially those that rescue special needs cavaliers. That takes heart and strength so thank you!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think to put it in a nutshell this subject is far from Everyone elses problem!

This problem is not going away and is here to stay and as Cavalier owners and lovers we MUST take the forfront in educaton and campaigning for a brighter future!

We have a massive roll to play with in this circle and I for one think that we are doing a damn fine job of it so far :rolleyes:

With the likes of Karlin, Nikki, Margaret, Tania, Carol and all the other amazing people on this forum, those that donate, those who campaign and those who just spread the word I for one would like to say

:thnx:

Last edited:
Ah ha, after reading through this thread, which I agree is quite upsetting, and unfortunately my opinionated nature is getting in the way and I must say that goda's mentality is probably a bit 'mental', but anyway... it reminds me of the saying: Do you want to be a part of the problem or a part of the solution? That really sums it up for me. We all must help to solve this in whatever way we are able, be it not buying a puppy from an irresponsible breeder or adopting a rescue cavalier with existing health issues.

The reality is that you are far less likely to end up with a very sick puppy,if you choose a reputable breeder who breeds with the welfare of the parents and the puppies as a major concern.
Healthy parents are more likely to produce healthy puppies,and if a breeder can't verify the health status of the parents,then they're not breeding for health or for the benefit of their customers.
By choosing a health focused breeder,you can stack the odds heavily in your favour and remove the "lucky dip" element.
No breeder can 100% guarantee that a living creature will be free from defect or illness,but they can try to do all that is reasonably practicable to put systems in place to reduce the likelihood of some early onset inherited problem happening in your pet.
Sins

There have been so many inspiring (and soul crushing) things said here and I have hardly anything to add, but I just wanted to say that despite being very responsible in searching for my puppy, she's still sick. I don't say this to refute what others have said about the importance of choosing a breeder that tests, rather I want to note that I stand by my original decision to support a responsible breeder. I quoted Sins comment above that your chances are lower of getting a sick dog if you get it from a responsible breeder and despite my misfortune I still completely maintain that this is true. I have heard from many people around me since my puppy got sick that I should have expected this with a purebred dog and that I should have just adopted a rescue instead (since many seem to think the chance are bad either way), but again I truly believe in the comments that many of you have made - that we need to be part of the solution and we can do this by carefully choosing where we get our dogs. I am sad for the potential problems my Rigby may have, but I am not at all remiss that I supported an ethical breeder.

Wow, what a thread to catch up on. I'm quite glad I was on holiday while this was going on, otherwise I may have had a few choice words to say myself. Some of the things posted by the OP, well... I can only hope they were posted out of the fear and emotional turmoil of Luka's diagnosis :(

Personally I don't know if we'll "buy" another Cavalier, but if we do I would of course rather pay a breeder who has tried to help our beloved breed by scanning and testing, than throw my money at someone who buries their head in the sand. Sure, we may still end up with a dog who has health problems, but that is unfortunately the risk we face buying Cavaliers. We bought Murphy with no health tests, from an accidental breeding, we were very, very lucky, he's now five and fit as a fiddle. Looking back we know now it was a huge risk to do so, and many other owners are not as lucky as us.

Our second Cavalier Misty is a rescue, and I think anymore additions to the clan will be too. It's been a joy to watch the scared, confused little dog that arrived, transform into the little "Princess" she is today:l*v:

Back