Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Everybody Else's Problem

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I recently got an email from a breeder who I forgot put myself on the waiting list for another cav about 6 months before I found out about Blondies SM.
    She wanted to know if i still was interested in getting a pup because I was now on top of the list.
    I asked her if she scanned. She said "if i would have to scan all my dogs for SM I would be broke". She then went on about how ALL the pups she has bred in the last 8 years are still alive. She said SM is just not in her lines. She has several moms and dads that are over 6 so I said to her "broke" comment
    that there is Ruperts FUnd that will fund her scans and that it would help the breed if her cavs are truly that healthy. Ofcourse she didn't answer to that, and completely ignored that suggestion. So yes, breeders ARE playing dumb and I would never buy a puppy from her.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blondiemonster View Post
    I recently got an email from a breeder who I forgot put myself on the waiting list for another cav about 6 months before I found out about Blondies SM.
    She wanted to know if i still was interested in getting a pup because I was now on top of the list.
    I asked her if she scanned. She said "if i would have to scan all my dogs for SM I would be broke". She then went on about how ALL the pups she has bred in the last 8 years are still alive. She said SM is just not in her lines. She has several moms and dads that are over 6 so I said to her "broke" comment
    that there is Ruperts FUnd that will fund her scans and that it would help the breed if her cavs are truly that healthy. Ofcourse she didn't answer to that, and completely ignored that suggestion. So yes, breeders ARE playing dumb and I would never buy a puppy from her.
    Good job!
    Rod Russell

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Essex
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    But as you seem to wish to be removed from the board, I have done so. Best of luck with Luka.[/QUOTE]


    So frustrating sometimes

    Karen

    Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play


  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Good job!
    I mean seriously Ron, you tell a breeder that the scan would be free and they STILL won't scan? Now that is just sketchy.
    Mom of Blondie aka The Monster, my furry daughter and loyal friend!!!!!!!!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Burnley,Lancashire, England
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh Karlin you did the right thing removing that person from the board. I too feel sorry for all the pups bred by uncaring, irresponsible breeders, including my own precious Rossi, but we really do have to open our eyes and make a stand and actually do something to stop all the suffering. THE ONE AND ONLY POSITIVE THING THAT HAS COME OUT OF MY POOR ROSSI'S SUFFERING IS THE FACT THAT I AM NOW BETTER EDUCATED AND AM GOING TO BE MUCH MORE PROACTIVE IN THE FIGHT TO GET BETTER BREEDING LAWS AND TO STOP PUPPY FARMING !!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    The irony is that dog shows came directly out of the era of eugenics that the Nazis admired -- with dogs, setting breed standards and selecting for perfect VISUAL qualities while health has been slowly compromised. Dogs no longer fit for their original purpose have been created. Selecting for healthy dogs, by contrast, selects for life. For joy.

    Breeding for health as a priority is hardly eugenics. It's the opposite of eugenics. Some people have little understanding of history. Or logic.

    I also consider it an unforgiveable insult that anyone would claim the board in any way discriminates against any type of 'non-perfect' cavalier (especially when we have always had a major focus on rescue work here!).

    Until this week, when Lucy passed away, I had five cavaliers. Two are rescues, one from the pound and one from a puppy farm -- hardly evidence of discrimination on behalf of perfectly bred healthy dogs as the only option. . Three have SM. Two have/had MVD. Three have early onset deafness or hearing problems; in two cases definitely not related to PSOM. Three also have PSOM. That's a lot of significant breed health problems amongst just five dogs, only one of which I originally decided to hang on to because I suspected possible SM (Lily).

    Every one of those dogs deserves better health. One came from a great breeder (and was a rare SM clear dog when scanned at 9) but the endemic problems are always there and will take time to work away from (hence Lucy got dealt the hand of MVD, which is unusual to that degree in her line). Health focused breeders are moving us in the direction of better health; the evidence is already there. Our choice of where to purchase a dog therefore makes all the difference. Perhaps in the end the ONLY difference, as breeders need buyers or they won't breed; gone are the days of large kennels attached to aristocrats with lots of money, able to breed and hang on to what they bred.

    Every one of you is the potential answer to this breed's problems, depending on the breeders you support. Go for a rescue if people don't want to work with a breeder.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This whole thread got my blood boiling. Being involved in rescue work for almost ten years, it really irks me when someone complains the unhealthy poorly bred pups need homes too and so we should all feel okay about purchasing from any so called breeder. What the general public doesn't understand is once the byb breeder cannot sell their pups anymore they will stop breeding. A good breeder will breed a litter first for themself and sell the other pups to good homes. Though here in the U.S. cavaliers are still fairly rare in animal rescue shelters, we do have some waiting for homes. This is a much better option than buying from a breeder that is only breeding for money, or love of having pups. A breeder that does full health testing will not be selling pups for 400-600, as I think I remember Goda as quoting her price for her pups, though Goda claimed her pups came from a reputable breeder I highly doubt that!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    The irony is that dog shows came directly out of the era of eugenics that the Nazis admired -- with dogs, setting breed standards and selecting for perfect VISUAL qualities while health has been slowly compromised. Dogs no longer fit for their original purpose have been created.

    Breeding for health as a priority is hardly eugenics. Some people have little understanding of history. ...
    All quite true. The Nazis even had a "kennel" of human volunteers who met the appearance standards of the master race. They bred these volunteers for several years.
    Rod Russell

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinekisses View Post
    ... though Goda claimed her pups came from a reputable breeder I highly doubt that!
    Oh, she(?) probably did. Ask Blondies' Mom about reputable breeders. Anybody can call themselves "reputable" in the purebred world, and many do.
    Rod Russell

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Essex
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    All quite true. The Nazis even had a "kennel" of human volunteers who met the appearance standards of the master race. They bred these volunteers for several years.
    I remember when I was studying my first year in Dog Behaviour and Care watching a seminar on the Eugenics of Dog Showing and all about the Victorians who started it. I cant remember enough about it to start quoting stuff so thank you for bringing up that point.

    Hitler I say........ honestly!

    Karen

    Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •