Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Everybody Else's Problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The introduction of a Hitler comparison to a board discussion is a well known phenomenon called Godwin's Law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Probably best to just say...

I think that sometimes people whose Cavaliers are newly diagnosed or clearly suffering are speaking from a very painful place. There is so much emotion around this issue generally because we sometimes feel helpless or unsure how to make this better. I too feel badly for the Cavaliers produced by those who know better...they deserve better and did not ask for their lot in life. But, buying directly from these breders rewards their irresponsibility. Just no way around that sad reality, even though I have had moments of trying to rationalize otherwise. It is one thing to help a rescue dog and another entirely to support breeders that you know may be questionable.I do think in the heat of these discussions painful things are said...and hope people will consider that point. I might say things I regret in the heat of the moment. Take a breather.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post
    I think that sometimes people whose Cavaliers are newly diagnosed or clearly suffering are speaking from a very painful place. There is so much emotion around this issue generally because we sometimes feel helpless or unsure how to make this better. I too feel badly for the Cavaliers produced by those who know better...they deserve better and did not ask for their lot in life. But, buying directly from these breders rewards their irresponsibility. Just no way around that sad reality, even though I have had moments of trying to rationalize otherwise. It is one thing to help a rescue dog and another entirely to support breeders that you know may be questionable.I do think in the heat of these discussions painful things are said...and hope people will consider that point. I might say things I regret in the heat of the moment. Take a breather.....

I couldn't agree more Debra- I dont hold a grudge anyways.

i had a read through that link Karlin- made me chuckle a little I have been called many a name in my time but thats a new one

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with you there. I know if Toby ever gets diagnosed I will be a basket case as I am already jumpy. I cannot imagine the roller coaster ride that those with Cavaliers facing this are going through. I felt as though Goda might not be having a great day and just really needed to vent, Although most don't agree with the vent. I for one am sad to see Goda go especially since Goda was in my State and not too far from me. I was hoping to meet once Toby was old enough
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by GraciesMom View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Blood Boiling is an understatement .... I decided to keep my mouth shut then say something I might regret.

One thing I have to point out... Goda's Luke has only just been diagnosed with SM.... I could be wrong but isn't he young? 3 or 4? Give it a year or two... as she watches him slowly go down hill. I presume her opinion may change... at least a little. Maybe that is giving her too much credit. I know watching my Cavaliers struggle on during a "bad day" sure makes me more passionate about educating people... I

I understand how people new to Cavaliers or even people with younger, symptom free, healthy Cavaliers can get the wrong idea about our board. Thinking that we are over exaggerating the issues. But they have not seen what happens to so many Cavaliers as the age. Not to say all Cavaliers will be affected but I do believe many new owners are naive about the health conditions and risks. I KNOW I was!!! It is SO hard to believe your healthy looking, happy, bouncy, young dog could EVER be affected. Maybe it's wishful thinking because the truth is scary?

Post Thanks / Like

Big sigh............I was simply waiting for the twenty minutes to be over..........

Sometimes a logical debate simply isn't possible because of the participants involved but I admire those who tried.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was simply waiting for the twenty minutes to be over
    So was I, and was quite taken aback at what was then posted. At that point, the Clue Train had left the station and I just do not have time to micro-moderate individuals who missed it.

I fully understand people feeling emotional or having diverse opinions but equating the attempt to eradicate SM and other painful and debilitating diseases to targeting Jews during the holocaust is just beyond belief, and suggesting people are Hitleresque because they do not want dogs to suffer from breed rated health issues is just --excuse me -- idiotic. Especially from someone studying health and with a dog suffering from a genetic disease from a breeder who did not MRI scan. I wish the dog the best of luck in treatment and hope the owner will grow in understanding, maturity and compassion.

Now: if people want to continue to discuss the original issue, please do.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    The introduction of a Hitler comparison to a board discussion is a well known phenomenon called Godwin's Law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
    The Nazis' experiments to achieve the master race were very similar to those used in the world of purebred dog breeding. So here, the analogy is legitimate. But Goda got it backwards.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Seems to me that buying a puppy is a lucky dip...you do your research and you still end up with a puppy with a disease, or you take a chance and buy from a puppymill and still end up with the same. Is there a failsafe way of making sure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reptigirl View Post
    I understand how people new to Cavaliers or even people with younger, symptom free, healthy Cavaliers can get the wrong idea about our board. Thinking that we are over exaggerating the issues. But they have not seen what happens to so many Cavaliers as the age. Not to say all Cavaliers will be affected but I do believe many new owners are naive about the health conditions and risks. I KNOW I was!!! It is SO hard to believe your healthy looking, happy, bouncy, young dog could EVER be affected. Maybe it's wishful thinking because the truth is scary?
    This of course is what is happening with many small time hobby breeders. They may now know about SM but those lucky enough to not have kept a cavalier that develops obvious symptoms can still persuade themselves the whole subject is exaggerated.

The same of course cannot be said of the large volume breeders that control the Cavalier Clubs. They are now well aware of how many cavaliers are showing up as affected.

Their denial is based on self-interest.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi