• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scooby still battling along - was "Not good news ... We're losing..."

I'm so sorry Sharon - sadly too many of us have been through this awful time of having to know when to make that dreadful decision. It helped that you and your husband had discussed things, so you are both aware of each other's feelings.

There's nothing I can say to comfort you - this is the Cavalier's only fault, they truly break your heart :(

You are in our thoughts and we hope you will be back with us when you are able to post. :flwr:

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your kind words and support.................

We have spent the day together as a family with Scooby , we took him back to the vet this morning and she has given him another water injection to make him more comfortable. I sat my children down today (age 5 and 7) and explained what is going to happen to scooby in the next few days , that he is going to doggy heaven where he will not suffer anymore and will be able to run free and happy again. We have all cried but the most important thing is that we have spent the whole day cuddling scooby and giving him every treat in the world.

Scooby is my best friend , he has especially helped me through some tough times with my health and been my constant companion , both me and my husband know we are doing the kindest thing for him , Iam going to call our vet in the morning and we are going to discuss what needs to be done , I looked into scooby's eyes today and I knew he has had enough , his breathing is so laboured and now the mediciation is failing him its just a matter of time and I feel we need to help him one last time.

We have had scooby bless our lives for the last 9 years , I have loved every minute with him , hes my first dog and I couldn't ask for a better companion.

Once we lose him we will need time to heal but I will keep in touch, you guys have given me and scooby such valuable support over the months , we are very grateful.

Sharon and Scooby XXX

My heart goes out to you Sharon, it's good that you have explained to the children, so important for them to know what is happening, and it's a big part of growing up for them, learning to manage grief :(

Your family day together with Scooby has given you some wonderful memories - it's very special to have that time together. We had a similar situation with Teddy, it was very peaceful, we could spoil him with ice cream and chocolate digestives etc etc and just spend that time saying goodbye.

You know you will all be in our thoughts through the next few impossibly difficult days - the support of the forum has been incredibly valuable to many of us at difficult times.

Take care of yourselves xx

I am so so sorry Sharon xxx

There are no words to make you feel any better about this.

Scooby isn't afraid to pass away, it is our fear of emotional pain that keeps them is physical and actual pain. Scooby has given you so so much in his life, and letting him go in peace isn't only the last thing you can do for him, it's the greatest thing you can do for him!
Now that you are at peace with your desision, you can et him be at peace xxx

:hug:

I am so sorry to read this. You and your family have done a wonderful job of loving and taking care of Scooby. Having all of you around him (and getting treats of course!) I'm sure brings him much comfort. The main thing right now is that Scooby is peaceful and surrounded by those who love him best. I can't imagine how hard the next few days will be for you. He will always be a part of your heart.

Bless you for setting Scooby free, you have been a wonderful Mum to him and he has been a very lucky little dog . We are all thinking of you at this sad time. :hug:

I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you. I cannot imagine how hard this must be on everyone in your family, but I know that Scooby is thanking you for loving him and doing everything you could and giving him the best life that he could have ever imagined.

Prayers and love go out to you. :hug:

My heart is breaking for you. I echo eveyones thoughts and prayers. You are a very brave and loving mom to set Scooby free from his pain.
:lotsaluv:

I wanted to update you all with the latest for scooby............Scooby was so poorly over the weekend and the emergency vet said his medication was failing and she gave him a 2 high dose water injections to make him comfortable until we could speak to our own vet first thing this morning.

I spent the night with scooby listening to his awful chest and helping him when he coughed and then I made the call to my own vet this morning and he said to bring him down at half ten to assess scooby and to make the arrangements if he felt it was necessary. Myself and my husband got ready and when I went to get scooby ready to go he got so excited for the first time in 4 days and by the time we got to the vets he was bouncing around the reception. Neither us nor the vet could believe it as just yesterday his chest was so bad he coughed all day long , didnt want to eat much and had to be carried outside and back again for a wee.

The vet examined scooby and said his heart is not good but by some miracle his chest is not quite as bad as it was over the weekend and by scooby's behaviour in the room he couldnot put scooby to sleep and we agreed. We have discussed the process when its time and us and the vet know what process we need to follow when its scooby's time.

He has recommended that we leave scooby on the high dose furosimide tablets as we have nothing to lose and we know that if his chest fills again then we have to let him go....... We know we have not bought alot of time and after this weekend we are ready to let scooby go should him health fail again as its the right thing to do . I never imagined I would have walked out of the vets today with scooby we were ready to let him go as he was so poorly over the weekend , I prayed for a miracle and never thought we would have one but as the vet said its not scooby's time just yet , we know in our hearts it will come soon but we have to go with what the vet recommends and he said he wouldnot do it today...........

He said he has never known a cavalier like scooby , how he can come back from the brink.......... We are so emotionally drained

Sharon and Scooby XXX

I am so in awe of how you are dealing with this....My Pippin has MVD early stages but is on low dose meds.

I hope that if/when I one day have to deal with what you're going through at the moment I will be as strong....

Hugs to you and Scooby xx

What an amazing dog Scooby is. For him to bounce back just shows, in my opinion, that he is not ready to leave you yet. Hugs :l*v:

What an emotional rollarcoaster you have been on! I am glad that Scooby is doing better! Please keep us updated! :paw:

Goodness I can't imagine how you are holding up with this - it's good news for Scooby and for you, but so dreadfully draining and very hard to deal with.

Scooby is a truly amazing wee dog, he doesn't want to give up the fight - I hate to say it but maybe he needs your permission to go? I have found that very hard to do in the past, sometimes they keep going for a long time because they think we are not ready to let them go.

I hope you can enjoy some special days, and let him know that you are ready when he thinks it is time.

We are all thinking of you all

Back