• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CAUTION!!!! about Nature's Variety rabbit...USA

GraciesMom

Just in case anyone here from USA uses Nature's Variety frozen medallions, we have found questionably large and odd-shaped pieces of bone (and some were jagged) in the frozen raw RABBIT medallions. I have not found this in any other of their meat varieties and only in two recent bags of rabbit. I contacted the company and they seemed very concerned and sent me free postage to ship samples to them. I did but saved a few and took photos of all. Several pieces of bone well exceeded their maximum size. They also did send me coupons for several free bags of food. We will now just more carefully check all the medallions to remove bone fragments that are too big, but Gracie loves the rabbit so will keep using it. Since 3 other flavors not affected, it appears that the equipment processing rabbit meat is not functioning like it should.

That is quite interesting, thank you for the heads up. I have bought a few bags of the rabbit medallions and so far have not encountered anything of the sort. Good thing to feed this kind of food we have to look at it first! Rabbit is my cat and dogs' favorite flavor of the frozen raw foods... I am curious to find out what the manufacturer has to say about your discovery.

My guess is that there was an equipment malfunction...

Our first bags of rabbit did not have this problem.....just the last 2. I would definitely recommend mashing all between your fingers before feeding as not all medallions the same.

This is the reason that I stopped using this product some years ago - the large pieces of bone that I found - but it was in the chicken medallions. The company wasn't too concerned when I contacted them, and it happened many times so I just stopped buying the product.

Pat

Interesting. My pet food shop has announced it will stop carrying Nature's Variety for a number of reasons including they've gone for quantity over quality. Luckily they are pulling in a new supplier who is more locally based and has an excellent product. I'll be continuing with Primal and Stella and Chewy's but will change from Nature's Variety to Small Batch instead. This isn't the first time I've heard someone mention large and/or irregular bone fragments in their food.

Wow....did not know about this history....yikes!

Will look into the other brands you all mentioned. I know that some will be very hard to get here and do not know if Gracie can adjust well to another variety change. At least I will keep screening each piece to get out bone pieces before I serve them.

More info on the rabbit flavor

The rabbit meat is coming from China!!! Augh!!!! Was confirmed on phone today. That is not behind the processing issue as that happens here in US. The other meats raised in US... But not rabbit. I have found 2 local that sell Primal raw frozen. Guess we will go that route. Poor Gracie!!! Another food transition. We had so much good luck with this till now. I have to get a brand with more than chicken and beef cause Gracie is allergic to beef for sure, even raw, and suspect same for chicken. Sadly many raw brands only make those meat flavors. Does anyone have comments on Primal? The only other option I can get locally is called Nature's Logic but could not find much about it.

Interesting.

I had been thinking of giving Nature's Variety a try if I ran across it locally, because it has no potatoes (Sophie is allergic to white & sweet potatoes). We'll continue with Oma's Pride frozen raw since it works well for us. I ought to give Oma's a call and inquire where their meats come from.

I started with Primal when I began raw and only in the year or so began to mix it up by changing brands a bit. I love Primal, it is definitely my favorite one. Interesting...i didn't know their rabbit was from China :eek: maybe that is a reason why my store won't be carrying their products anymore.

Interesting....I found a discussion on a German Shepard board from 2008 talking about rabbit sourced from China. NV says sourcing of rabbit from China because domestic sourcing not readily available...well in that case, don't supply rabbit :neutral:

I think you'll be pleased with Primal.

I've ordered RAW from Healthy Pet Diet and A Place for Paws and been very happy with both companies. A Place for Paws ships directly to your doorstep and some of the HPD distributors will ship. I have found it to be much cheaper than buying the bags of NV or Primal (I have 3 Cavaliers). I have always been
satisfied with the quality-- in fact, it seems fresher than the varieties you can buy in the pet food stores.

http://www.healthypetdiet.com/dealers.shtml

http://www.aplaceforpaws.com/

Thanks so much Holly

The first option you suggest is a possibility for sure..... I do have to get options other than beef or chicken so have to look for brands with variety.

A Place for Paws has lots of different proteins and they are very easy to deal with.

Back