Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A personal problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A personal problem?

How do other owners stop their homes from smelling doggy? My middle son called in to see me this evening and said, 'I can tell you've got a dog now Mum coz the house smells all doggy' I was mortified. He must have seen it in my face because he said ' not in a bad way' but it hit home. I've only had Alfie 3 1/2 weeks! I did post a question a little while ago asking how often you bath your dogs just as a general query, but now it's got me thinking. I was discouraged from bathing him too often. Does their smell just get in the air ? I vac daily as a minimum and use 'febreze' around the place. Is it just something you have to live with owning a dog or is there more I could do ?

Smelly Diana and Alfie
    Last edited by Blueroses; 5th July 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling of febreze ?

Post Thanks / Like

Some people have more sensitive noses than others to some smells. I don't think Cavaliers smell doggy, not like a labrador for instance that has a very oily coat, and (sorry folks) I don't like the smell of them I think cavaliers smell lovely though (well most of the time, unless they've rolled in something)
    But when Martha was a about 16wks old I took her into work one day to show her off, and she went racing up to the only 'multi-cat' worshipping person in the office, who fussed he,r then immediately turned her nose up and said something like 'Oh she has that doggy smell' - she doesn't smell all nice like my cats'

I was a bit mortified as she had been bathed and brushed specially for her star appearance! You just can't please everyone all the time

Post Thanks / Like

We typically bathe Rose once a week (she gets itchy if we don't) with a mild puppy shampoo. I also spray an enzyme cleaner (I think most of them are safe for fabrics, check the bottle) called "Simple Solution" (I like it better than "Nature's Miracle", the scent isn't as strong). I also spray the enzyme cleaner or a spray on (not foam, lol- I use Woolite Oxy something or 'nother) carpet cleaner immediately before I vacuum- it helps with the doggie smell and help break the static barrier so I get more hair and dander up. I have also been known to give a light spraying to the central heat/ac filter between changes, heh .

And when I know company is coming, I either use a candle warmer, light a candle (on the fireplace mantel), and/or plug in a few scented warmers for about 30 minutes before they come over ("they" being people with no dogs in their houses, the ones who have dogs never notice, haha). I don't like to leave them plugged in all the time (asthma), nor when I am not home.

OH! And for your vacuum, consider getting some potpourri or scented beads that you can vacuum up between bag changes/cup emptying (they also make things specifically for you to vaccum up to freshen you vacuum's air). If you have a bagless vacuum, clean or change the filter as often as feasible too. My vacuum (bag variety) actually has a tiny pocket for a scent neutralizing wafter to go in .

I hope that helps, and I would love to hear anyone else's suggestions too .

Post Thanks / Like

Outsiders tend to notice these smells than we do. I use smelly candles....Glade. Airwick etc.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davecav View Post
    Some people have more sensitive noses than others to some smells. I don't think Cavaliers smell doggy, not like a labrador for instance that has a very oily coat, and (sorry folks) I don't like the smell of them I think cavaliers smell lovely though (well most of the time, unless they've rolled in something)
    But when Martha was a about 16wks old I took her into work one day to show her off, and she went racing up to the only 'multi-cat' worshipping person in the office, who fussed he,r then immediately turned her nose up and said something like 'Oh she has that doggy smell' - she doesn't smell all nice like my cats'

I was a bit mortified as she had been bathed and brushed specially for her star appearance! You just can't please everyone all the time

That's true, too! Rose definitely smells sweeter longer than our Corgi did, but we did get spoiled with our boxer who smelled lovely for a month at a time, lol. It took me a while to get used to the "doggy needs a bath smell" again when we got Rose. But, Rose also doesn't like to go over a week without a bath, she gets a little sulky when she starts smelling "like a dog", but she's good again after her bath- cracks us up!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmmm All I can say is that Toby has had 1 bath since coming home. We only smell a dog smell when he is wet but he quickly dries and he smells fine. I give him daily kisses on his head and I don't smell anything foul. He is shedding a lot though and he really doesn't have that much hair yet LOL
    I hope you can find something for your home. It sounds like your doing everything right to me.
    Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Cat! that will definatly cover any dogie smell!!! LOL
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE the smell of dog, hate it, even though I have a pack living in my house! Bedding gets smelly very quickly, as do soft furnishings/carpets etc. so washing bedding regularly and vacuuming carpets/pillows etc. daily is a must (sprinkling a little bicarb soda before you vacuum can help get rid of smell) . Airing the house out makes a really big difference to the general smell level too so get those windows open! Covering up the smell is nearly worse than the smell itself so, unless you like the smell of airfreshners (it's the only smell I hate worse than a dog smell so not used in my house but to each their own!) but if the house is clean and fresh, lighting a scented candle may give it a lift. If your doggy gets wet, dry them asap - this can stop them getting a bit whiffy and also prevent them spreading the smell around the house by rubbing themselves on things. Washing your dog as soon as they start to smell (along with stinky bedding) will curb a build up of smell, use mild shampoo and dry them well afterwards (or let them run about in the sun, get them to do the work for you!). I wash my guys every 2-3 weeks and have had no problems with skin complaints because of this.

Some dogs do get smellier than others and puppies have a distinct smell (which I, personally, don't mind as much as the "doggy odor"), same as people having their own smell - some are nicer than others! If you are happy with your home and how it smells then guests will just have to get used to it!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean! I have a sensitive nose and wonder how bad the doggy smell is in the house, but I've asked friends to be honest with me and they say they don't notice much... yet I am a clean freak and mop all my floors every week and change/wash all bedding, etc. The candles/air freshener suggestion is a good one, and during good weather, crack open all the windows to let the fresh air into the house. Wash all blankets/bedding the dog comes into contact with, that really helps. Sometimes it's the food you give them that will make them smell more or less 'doggy'. Your little one is a puppy, so he's gonna have more of an odoriferous PUPPY smell
    Don't worry though, I'm sure it's not that bad and if you know your dog and your house are clean and you're house proud (like many of us), it won't have offensive odours at all.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get him a dog. Other pet owners don't notice a slight smell.

Personally I can't stand the smell of all those scented sprays and plug ins, even febreze which is very mild has a chemical scent. I clean with Mrs. Meyer cleaning products (geranium scent is my favorite), those give a beautiful natural scent to the house.