• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A personal problem?

Blueroses

How do other owners stop their homes from smelling doggy? My middle son called in to see me this evening and said, 'I can tell you've got a dog now Mum coz the house smells all doggy' I was mortified. He must have seen it in my face because he said ' not in a bad way' but it hit home. I've only had Alfie 3 1/2 weeks! I did post a question a little while ago asking how often you bath your dogs just as a general query, but now it's got me thinking. I was discouraged from bathing him too often. Does their smell just get in the air ? I vac daily as a minimum and use 'febreze' around the place. Is it just something you have to live with owning a dog or is there more I could do ?

Smelly Diana and Alfie :(

Last edited:
Some people have more sensitive noses than others to some smells. I don't think Cavaliers smell doggy, not like a labrador for instance that has a very oily coat, and (sorry folks) I don't like the smell of them:eek: I think cavaliers smell lovely though (well most of the time, unless they've rolled in something)
But when Martha was a about 16wks old I took her into work one day to show her off, and she went racing up to the only 'multi-cat' worshipping person in the office, who fussed he,r then immediately turned her nose up and said something like 'Oh she has that doggy smell' - she doesn't smell all nice like my cats'

I was a bit mortified as she had been bathed and brushed specially for her star appearance! You just can't please everyone all the time:D

We typically bathe Rose once a week (she gets itchy if we don't) with a mild puppy shampoo. I also spray an enzyme cleaner (I think most of them are safe for fabrics, check the bottle) called "Simple Solution" (I like it better than "Nature's Miracle", the scent isn't as strong). I also spray the enzyme cleaner or a spray on (not foam, lol- I use Woolite Oxy something or 'nother) carpet cleaner immediately before I vacuum- it helps with the doggie smell and help break the static barrier so I get more hair and dander up. I have also been known to give a light spraying to the central heat/ac filter between changes, heh :rolleyes:.

And when I know company is coming, I either use a candle warmer, light a candle (on the fireplace mantel), and/or plug in a few scented warmers for about 30 minutes before they come over ("they" being people with no dogs in their houses, the ones who have dogs never notice, haha). I don't like to leave them plugged in all the time (asthma), nor when I am not home.

OH! And for your vacuum, consider getting some potpourri or scented beads that you can vacuum up between bag changes/cup emptying (they also make things specifically for you to vaccum up to freshen you vacuum's air). If you have a bagless vacuum, clean or change the filter as often as feasible too. My vacuum (bag variety) actually has a tiny pocket for a scent neutralizing wafter to go in :) .

I hope that helps, and I would love to hear anyone else's suggestions too :) .

Some people have more sensitive noses than others to some smells. I don't think Cavaliers smell doggy, not like a labrador for instance that has a very oily coat, and (sorry folks) I don't like the smell of them:eek: I think cavaliers smell lovely though (well most of the time, unless they've rolled in something)
But when Martha was a about 16wks old I took her into work one day to show her off, and she went racing up to the only 'multi-cat' worshipping person in the office, who fussed he,r then immediately turned her nose up and said something like 'Oh she has that doggy smell' - she doesn't smell all nice like my cats'

I was a bit mortified as she had been bathed and brushed specially for her star appearance! You just can't please everyone all the time:D

That's true, too! :p;) Rose definitely smells sweeter longer than our Corgi did, but we did get spoiled with our boxer who smelled lovely for a month at a time, lol. It took me a while to get used to the "doggy needs a bath smell" again when we got Roseicon_blshing. But, Rose also doesn't like to go over a week without a bath, she gets a little sulky when she starts smelling "like a dog", but she's good again after her bath- cracks us up!

Hmmmmmmm All I can say is that Toby has had 1 bath since coming home. We only smell a dog smell when he is wet but he quickly dries and he smells fine. I give him daily kisses on his head and I don't smell anything foul. He is shedding a lot though and he really doesn't have that much hair yet LOL
I hope you can find something for your home. It sounds like your doing everything right to me.
Becky

I HATE the smell of dog, hate it, even though I have a pack living in my house! Bedding gets smelly very quickly, as do soft furnishings/carpets etc. so washing bedding regularly and vacuuming carpets/pillows etc. daily is a must (sprinkling a little bicarb soda before you vacuum can help get rid of smell) . Airing the house out makes a really big difference to the general smell level too so get those windows open! Covering up the smell is nearly worse than the smell itself so, unless you like the smell of airfreshners (it's the only smell I hate worse than a dog smell so not used in my house but to each their own!) but if the house is clean and fresh, lighting a scented candle may give it a lift. If your doggy gets wet, dry them asap - this can stop them getting a bit whiffy and also prevent them spreading the smell around the house by rubbing themselves on things. Washing your dog as soon as they start to smell (along with stinky bedding) will curb a build up of smell, use mild shampoo and dry them well afterwards (or let them run about in the sun, get them to do the work for you!). I wash my guys every 2-3 weeks and have had no problems with skin complaints because of this.

Some dogs do get smellier than others and puppies have a distinct smell (which I, personally, don't mind as much as the "doggy odor"), same as people having their own smell - some are nicer than others! If you are happy with your home and how it smells then guests will just have to get used to it!

I know what you mean! I have a sensitive nose and wonder how bad the doggy smell is in the house, but I've asked friends to be honest with me and they say they don't notice much... yet I am a clean freak and mop all my floors every week and change/wash all bedding, etc. The candles/air freshener suggestion is a good one, and during good weather, crack open all the windows to let the fresh air into the house. Wash all blankets/bedding the dog comes into contact with, that really helps. Sometimes it's the food you give them that will make them smell more or less 'doggy'. Your little one is a puppy, so he's gonna have more of an odoriferous PUPPY smell :lol:
Don't worry though, I'm sure it's not that bad and if you know your dog and your house are clean and you're house proud (like many of us), it won't have offensive odours at all.:smile:

Get him a dog. Other pet owners don't notice a slight smell.

Personally I can't stand the smell of all those scented sprays and plug ins, even febreze which is very mild has a chemical scent. I clean with Mrs. Meyer cleaning products (geranium scent is my favorite), those give a beautiful natural scent to the house.

Interesting post...I wonder if Brooklyn smells! Ha. My husband and I always comment on how much we love her smell, that we actually don't like the way she smells after a bath, not natural! :rotfl:

I absolutely hate dog smell too. I did not grow up with dogs, and since Brooklyn is my first one, I am so sensitive to it. She gets brushed daily, I brush her teeth, and FuzzYard make a wonderful refreshing spray for their coat (they also make one for the bed). And I wash her once every two weeks...if she is not smelly or dirty, I will stretch that. Also, I have reed diffusers all over the house in a neutral but nice scent. I too hate air freshener smell, so some really nice reed diffusers keep the place smelling nice always. I also light candles every night (but more for me than her!) and open windows and doors. I wash bedding every few weeks too.

I think that does it! But really, I just don't think Brooklyn smells....but it is always my fear because you know those people who smell or who's houses smell, don't actually smell it!

Since we got Benji, my mother has become obessed with scented candles to make sure the house doesn't smell of dog. During the winter she would light them every night but that was when he was younger and still had accidents in the house. Now it's not that bad and pretty everyone that comes round says the house doesn't smell of dog, much to the mothers delight.

As for bathing him, he gets a bath once a month if that and that's only if he really needs it.

Im really glad I started this thread now, come out all you 'doggy whiffers' and show yourselves ! :rotfl:

Seriously, it is turning out to be very useful and informative. :v*cuum: << me!

Alfie himself doesn't smell bad, just 'all baby and nice', but the bedding and his toy have a certain tang to them icon_whistling ( still not unpleasant really ) His bedding... not a problem, can be washed, but not all his toys can be washed if they have bells and squeakers in them. ( Note to self, for future reference buy soft toys from Mothercare where they have no sqeakers and can go in the washing machine ) I thought of trying Neutradol to apply to living room carpet before vac'ing... anyone do this? Some of the products you good people have been suggesting may not be able in UK you see, but many thanks for the tips on candles etc. They would be ideal for my paranoia if visitors are planned. Ive just thought of another...incense sticks !

Thank you all for your input and making me feel better.

Another note to self : Dont have a dog if you are overly concerned about a light dog smell :rolleyes:

Third time lucky - I keep losing my post.We use vetbeds as bedding as they can be washed and dried daily if needed as they dry very quickly. We also have fleece throwovers on the chairs that can be washed every couple of days, and taken off when visitors arrive. It's surprising how many toys can be washed and allowed to dry naturally, this gets rid of both smeells and germs. We have wood and laminate floors downstairs so don't have carpet problems. ha ha ha.

It’s true it depends what kind of dog you have got. I always have been paranoid about the house smelling. I got three cavaliers and the house doesn’t smell. We got wooden floors and leather sofas.
I don't want my house to stink of dog but also in my opinion a dog should not smell of perfume. I take my Coats milk & oat shampoo with me to the groomers and she even loves it. She always says that most people want their dog to smell perfumy.

Back