• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The cavalier breed at a cross-road

I feel sorry for the truly health focused breeder caught in the middle of this mess.
On one hand they're being branded as zealots and mavericks for trying to do the right thing and told that they're destroying the breed.Then on the other hand they're told that their efforts to reduce the incidence of SM isn't good enough,even though they breed A to A and have had tangible improvements in their stock.They donate lost puppies to FTR,they take the remains of their much loved dog for post mortem and it's just not good enough???
No wonder breeders are walking away in despair.

Looking at things quite dispassionately the statement I have highlighted in red is the truth.
Their efforts are not good enough to outweigh the relentless production of puppies from non-scanned underage cavalier parents.
And I'm talking cavalier club members here......not a hope of changing things elsewhere when those that are suppose to ***"Maintain a high standard and act in a responsible manner with due regard to the welfare of the dogs under their control and to abide by the Club's Code of Ethics" sabotage health initiatives and make it increasingly unlikely that the efforts of the health focused breeders are enough to build a SM free nucleus of breeding dogs.

And to be quite honest, although these responsible breeders are doing all they can, while they let the people that are not scanning, or scanning only young dogs and pretending they have followed the protocol, or scanning and using dogs that are SM affected, sit on committees and health liaison councils and speak for them, then they must take some of the blame.

Why do these health focused breeders imagine the BVA/KC scanning scheme is dragging on for so long? Why do they imagine that the Cavalier Health Council oppose the publication of results?

If you scan and use your breeding cavaliers after 2.5 years in accordance with the guidelines, why would you object?

If you remove affected dogs from your breeding programme as you should, why would you object?

If you mate asymptomatic older affected dogs to Grade A dogs, as is allowed in the protocol, why would you object, unless you believe that you should be allowed to hide the information from the pet owner who buys the puppies from this riskier mating?

Non-publication of results allows use of affected dogs to remain hidden and most of these pairings are for the commercial interest of the breeder, not for reasons of genetic diversity.

Some of these matings may be justified if an affected dog from good heart lines or the 'D' Grade cavalier comes from less popular lines. If the reasons are genuine the breeder should be ready to explain and to be honest & accountable to the buyers, who has the right to know the health risks and advantages of such a mating before they buy their family pet.

* One of the objects of the UK Cavalier Club

One of my earliest childhood memories, way back in the 1940s, was of hearing my parents say that my grandfather had cancer. Their tones were hushed and they never talked about it outside our home, because in those days anybody having that diagnosis were assured a slow and painful death from what was an undisputed incurable killer disease.

Slowly, various surgical treatments and drugs were introduced with ever increasing effective results in not only prolonging life, but also, as in my own case, eradicating the tumours altogether. If some return, then the treatment is repeated, which is effective in a great many, but not all, cases.

If it is true that 80 percent of Cavaliers are diseased, would it not be most effective to concentrate our efforts on finding and perhaps funding treatments that work? This is what Cancer Research UK and other agencies are now doing to combat cancers and it does make sense to me.

Last edited:
One of my earliest childhood memories, way back in the 1940s, was of hearing my parents say that my grandfather had cancer. Their tones were hushed and they never talked about it outside our home, because in those days anybody having that diagnosis were assured a slow and painful death from what was an undisputed incurable killer disease.

Slowly, various surgical treatments and drugs were introduced with ever increasing effective results in not only prolonging life, but also, as in my own case, eradicating the tumours altogether. If some return, then the treatment is repeated, which is effective in a great many, but not all, cases.

If it is true that 80 percent of Cavaliers are diseased, would it not be most effective to concentrate our efforts on finding and perhaps funding treatments that work? This is what Cancer Research UK and other agencies are now doing to combat cancers and it does make sense to me.

Are cancer charities really concentrating on funding treatments and no longer supporting research into the cause of the disease?

There is no doubt effective treatments are essential for our SM dogs but I'm not sure I agree we should be going for the sticking plaster option.

Over the years we have seen many cavaliers with MVD living longer thanks to a plethora of new heart drugs, but there are still too many that die at seven or eight years old.

I would think it was still better for cavaliers not to have a built in disposition to a painful condition in the first place.

Are cancer charities really concentrating on funding treatments and no longer supporting research into the cause of the disease?

There is no doubt effective treatments are essential for our SM dogs but I'm not sure I agree we should be going for the sticking plaster option.

Over the years we have seen many cavaliers with MVD living longer thanks to a plethora of new heart drugs, but there are still too many that die at seven or eight years old.

I would think it was still better for cavaliers not to have a built in disposition to a painful condition in the first place.

Flo,

I reposted a previous thread b/c I read there was research to stop progression. It is sad to read this and to know breeders are giving up. It just hurts pet buyers b/c it makes it harder to find a breeder. Then again, I think this thread was created and mentioned to stop breeding. I give up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

... Over the years we have seen many cavaliers with MVD living longer thanks to a plethora of new heart drugs, but there are still too many that die at seven or eight years old. ...

I am not so sure that the dogs live longer because of the drugs. They definitely live more comfortably, thanks to drugs. But very few drugs delay the progression of MVD to congestive heart failure, and those that do seem to delay progression do not do so very often. Today's MVD drugs are designed to "manage" the disease, not to halt its progression or to cure it.

... If it is true that 80 percent of Cavaliers are diseased, would it not be most effective to concentrate our efforts on finding and perhaps funding treatments that work? ...

That always has been one of the aims of research, and it is ongoing. I think the most effective thing to do about MVD is what very, very few CKCS breeders (at least in the US) have done, which is to follow the MVD breeding protocol.

That always has been one of the aims of research, and it is ongoing. I think the most effective thing to do about MVD is what very, very few CKCS breeders (at least in the US) have done, which is to follow the MVD breeding protocol.

Silly me Rod, I thought the topic was SM and trying to eliminate it's causes by selective breeding or outcrossing. :bang:

Yes Margaret it is official. Cancer Research UK made an official announcement recently that they are no longer looking for for causes but for effective treatments a few weeks ago. Perhaps you missed it in the media. I had a newsletter from them saying the same thing. I have been looking for it, but perhaps it went into the recycling once I had read it.:eek:

The cavalier breed at a cross road

THE CAVALIER BREED AT A CROSS ROAD

I think that it would be worth while reading the recently Published Veterinary Paper where it was discussed that SM also raises concerns for the Welfare for Our Cavalier Breed.

Is not the Cavalier Breed Decimated already with around 90% having CM.

If Cavaliers have CM,I am quoting again from Dr C Rusbridge ,Neurologist ,

CM is Chacterized between tha Brain being Too Big ,Skull Too Small.

This Blocks up the Opening from the Skull into the Spinal Cord and Alters the Cerebro Fluid.

As a Result ,Fluid filled Cavaties Develope within the Spinal Cord called a Syrinx .

This Condition is called SM

What is the use of Breeding from Cavalier Bitches who have CM.

There surely is no other way than not Breeding from a Cavalier who is suffering from CM

If around 90% of Cavaliers are affected with CM ,then does it not follow on that that the remaing 10 % could be Carriers of the CM Genes.

What more is needed to be being known about the Horrendous CM Problem ,about 90% have CM.

Surely it silly for Cavalier Breeders to be aiming to be Breeding for Cavaliers with only CM.

How is the Cavalier Breed going to be able to survive with this condition?

Bet

Flo,

I reposted a previous thread b/c I read there was research to stop progression. It is sad to read this and to know breeders are giving up. It just hurts pet buyers b/c it makes it harder to find a breeder. Then again, I think this thread was created and mentioned to stop breeding. I give up.

I don't think it is a matter of breeders giving up at all. Many of those who have not scanned before are now doing so, but then there are others waiting for the new protocols to be finalised, which were promised some time ago, but unless I have missed something, they have still not yet been published. There are also those whose younger stock are coming up to breeding age who are scanning too.

Many have given up breeding alltogether I am sorry to say. Some are giving up because the causes of SM and guidelines for testing have been changed so many times, others because they have just had enough of all the blaming and mud slinging aimed in their direction.

Looking at the situation of finding a health testing breeder from where I sit, I have given up advising would be cavalier owners how to find a tested pup because they want the puppy now, they don't want to drive a few miles to see a litter and they want to buy a pup for a bargain price. The last such person I spent a couple of hours on the 'phone to locate a puppy for was one of my neighbours whose son wanted a Cavalier. I did find a litter, told him the pup would cost a very fair £600 and he laughed in my face and said they're in the paper for £350. This idiot is typical of the many I have tried to advise over the past 5 years. If anyone asks now, I tell them to contact either the Midland Club or the K.C., knowing that they will end up looking in the Birmingham Mail.

Some are giving up because the causes of SM and guidelines for testing have been changed so many times

Actually that is incorrect.

There is a lot of misinformation put about by some breeders and some people take it as gospel but it is always best to check the articles published by the researchers for the true facts.

The actual Guidelines have only been changed once as far as I can remember, and surely it is sensible to look again at things as more information becomes available.

Looking at the situation of finding a health testing breeder from where I sit, I have given up advising would be cavalier owners how to find a tested pup because they want the puppy now, they don't want to drive a few miles to see a litter and they want to buy a pup for a bargain price.

I'm glad to say that is not my experience. I sent out my Puppy Buying Advice to two people today. They were willing to spend time time looking for a good breeder.

Show bred puppies make up about one fifth of all litters registered with the Kennel Club.
So, 80% of cavaliers registered are not from cavalier club members and in many cases have very few show bred dogs in their pedigree. There will be some diversity of genes there.

Overall there probably will be more MVD in non-club member dogs as less knowledge of heart problems will mean more young stock with heart murmurs will have been bred, and there is probably going to be more eye, hip and patella problems, but will they be so badly affected with Chiari Malformation and SM?

Rod,

I think you missed the start of the thread. This is not about MVD. Actually Margaret said it will probably lead to MORE problems with MVD and other health issues. I'm surprised you missed that.

The topic of MVD had been introduced before Rod commented and I think that actually the whole thread is very far away from the issue of outcrossing :) -- but has progressed in a logical and interesting manner and MVD is a relveant reference point as it is also a progressive disease and has associated breeding recommendations -- yet few follow them except in bits and pieces (as anyone can see themselves by looking at some online pedigrees and checking when first litters were bred and age of parents, especially sires). And incidence has never declined in nearly 20 years. Not a very positive example for SM.

On medication research -- not so sure it is worth putting rare research money into trying to find new medications when all that exist for both MVD and SM come from the much better funded human world and do the same thing. It can cost billions to get a single drug to approval -- and there is no way that is ever going to be raised in the cavalier community or even the dog community. And drug companies are unlikely to be interested in pursuing a dog- only medication -- and really would not need to as far as I can see right now. Surely money is better spent aiming for understanding canine CM/SM, seeking a DNA test, and funding some studies on treatment outcomes/comparative studies etc? (as I noted elsewhere there is no research on a drug to halt SM progression; I think people misunderstood the original comment by Clare Rusbridge).

As Margaret says, understanding of SM has actually been quite consistent and the grading system has only been changed once in nearly a decade now, and then only in quite subtle aspects that hardly affect breeding recommendations or the grades themselves (some keep trying to rewrite the truth here but go back and compare Clare's newsletters on www.smcavalier.com and you can see only modest change). And surely they SHOULD gradually change as more is understood and to try and reflect as best as possible how a system might be used by breeders? One bit that was changed was done to directly address breeders' own interests in scanning dogs under 2.5. The A* grade was also removed, mainly because to date no more than a couple of dogs that truly do not have CM have been identified (and right now, I would not believe a 'no CM' diagnosis from the US unless a neurologist who was part of the original grading panel, eg someone like Dr Marino, is the one who has said there's no CM. Too many neurologists less familiar with SM in the breed -- and LOTS of vets and radiologists -- cannot identify CM at all.

I am not aware of any large number of people saying breeders who scan, try to work with AxA breedings etc are not doing enough? There's sure a lot of support here for them! :flwr: Though keep in mind d grade dogs are probably needed for genetic diversity --there simply are not enough As especially outside the UK as not enough scan and too many still keep results secret. Not enough scan older dogs to see whether an A at 2.5 is still an A at 6 (despite funds to do so) -- that information is the really critical knowledge breeders need about their lines. There are those who think the breed cannot or should not be salvaged -- but that is different from stating health-focused testing breeders are not doing enough. On the other hand -- I agree that there is a HUGE issue in that those same breeders need to take on the old guard in the club and committees. Too few of them attend the AGM, too few vote, too few will do anything but keep a low profile and talk amongst themselves. That public silence and failure to move these issues onto the club agenda allows the same old crowd to continue in the roles that will influence the (if these people stay there -- lack of) future of the breed. I have heard so many say they will not get involved with the committees and club and hence there is little visible support for the few members who will stand up and get involved and the same old worn out thinking is perpetuated across another committee. Right now much that is changing in any positive way is being forced on the club and committee by external forces (eg the KC stating that health results for dogs in the mate-matching scheme will be made public).

A small dedicated group of breeders cannot save the breed. They cannot incorporate enough genetic diversity, for one thing -- and if testing remains secretive people are going to (as they have in the past) be pressured to not ask for actual results of tests and find they have used dogs with various problems (as I know has happened to several breeders told they were using 'A' dogs -- but who graded them A? And what other problems were they known to have that the breeder didn't reveal? Some of which showed in puppies).

A health registry that breeders SUPPORT is badly needed. Right now there's only a handful list dogs on some of the existing efforts. A lot of the healthtesting breeders do not list their dogs there (ie with Anne Eckersley). Why not? What about a UK health registry?

I don't think it is a matter of breeders giving up at all. Many of those who have not scanned before are now doing so, but then there are others waiting for the new protocols to be finalised, which were promised some time ago, but unless I have missed something, they have still not yet been published. There are also those whose younger stock are coming up to breeding age who are scanning too.

Many have given up breeding alltogether I am sorry to say. Some are giving up because the causes of SM and guidelines for testing have been changed so many times, others because they have just had enough of all the blaming and mud slinging aimed in their direction.

Flo,

I meant I give up and not by trying to find a breeder but this thread is making my head spin. I'm going to get myself a message.

Actually that is incorrect.

There is a lot of misinformation put about by some breeders and some people take it as gospel but it is always best to check the articles published by the researchers for the true facts.

The actual Guidelines have only been changed once as far as I can remember, and surely it is sensible to look again at things as more information becomes available. ...

Margaret is correct. The SM protocol was changed -- actually tweeked -- only once, and has not been changed since 2006. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/smprotocol.htm

Margaret,

The person with the 2 severe SM cavaliers and 1 A, were they from 3 different breeders or the same one? Did she have all 3 at once when she found out 2 had SM? Were the ones that were severe from show breeders or recognizable names?

The reason I'm asking is because after having a cavalier with severe SM, I would definately want my puppy from a breeder following the SM protocol. So I was curious if this is how she got the A etc.

The cavalier breed is at a cross road

Flo,

I meant I give up and not by trying to find a breeder but this thread is making my head spin. I'm going to get myself a message.

THE CAVALIER BREED IS AT A CROSS ROAD

I really do think the Big Question for our Cavaliers is the Continual Breeding of Cavaliers at the moment spreading the CM Genes Wider and Wider.
Karlin mentioned that A * Grades were removed because to Date no More than a Couple of Dogs that truly did not have CM had been identified .

CM is I believe the Biggest Problem for the Cavalier Breed.

Surely to save our Cavalier Breed drastic Measures have to be taken to stop the Spreading of the CM Genes any further.

Get Fresh Genes into the Breed , Out-Crossing , Stop the Breeding of Cavaliers for a few years, or what-ever means it takes.

For Sure Selective Breeding is not going to do it.

The CM Genes are now too Wide-Spread for that to benefit our Cavaliers.

Bet

Bet from what you continue to say time after time,it really does sound as if nothing short of the extinction of Cavaliers will suit you.

There are people on this forum and throughout the world who want to carry on owning this wonderful breed, and donating towards research on the health problems. (both in money, scanning older dogs, and donating cavaliers bodies who have passed away, which must be very upsetting and difficult, but they do it for the sake of the breed)

There are highly qualified researchers working hard to come up with solutions, and dedicated breeders who are really trying their very best to breed away from the problems. This will all take time, it can't be done in one or two generations. Please be patient.

To be honest I find all your comments extremely negative and unhelpful and I tire of reading them. You just won't give credit to all the hard work that is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
The cavalier breed at a cross road

Bet from what you continue to say time after time,it really does sound as if nothing short of the extinction of Cavaliers will suit you.

There are people on this forum and throughout the world who want to carry on owning this wonderful breed, and donating towards research on the health problems. (both in money, scanning older dogs, and donating cavaliers bodies who have passed away, which must be very upsetting and difficult, but they do it for the sake of the breed)

There are highly qualified researchers working hard to come up with solutions, and dedicated breeders who are really trying their very best to breed away from the problems. This will all take time, it can't be done in one or two generations. Please be patient.

To be honest I find all your comments extremely negative and unhelpful and I tire of reading them. You just won't give credit to all the hard work that is going on behind the scenes.

DAVECAV

I would suggest that you send for the latest Veterinary Paper just Published which can be Purchased for £24 , and you will then have the information that you need about this.

Bet

DAVECAV

I would suggest that you send for the latest Veterinary Paper just Published which can be Purchased for £24 , and you will then have the information that you need about this.

Bet

I have bought it but I agree with Davecav

Back